Why some sellers don't sell their lights outside US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why some sellers don't sell their lights/stuffs outside US?

Wow, several times? Well, then they are jerks. Could ask for address-verified Paypal only I suppose .. not that it is any guarantee, but it will help.

So the reason we do not get any packages .. we are jerks, hehe :D

I think he means dishonest customs and shipping personnel.

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
International shipping

There seems to be a great reluctance by some U.S. members selling items to ship overseas, I'd like to be able to understand this.

I've shipped many things to the States and it's no more hassle than shipping within the U.K., the only different thing is that I have to spend half a minute filling in a CN22 and I keep plenty of those at home.

Does USPS put extra hurdles in the way of overseas shipments?

With the cost of items sold here being 1.5 to 2x the price of things in the U.S. we potentially will pay more for used or even new articles. It pains me sometimes to see items for sale (CONUS only) unsold for days, undergoing numerous price drops when I would gladly pay the initial asking price along with any extra shipping costs. Just seems economically unsound to me that the seller is prepared to lose that money.

The last one that I PM'd asking to ship overseas suggested I use a forwarding service. It sold for $50 less than the original asking price that I was happy with.

This isn't a rant, I'd just like a better understanding. Lost in the mail doesn't really work, it's very rare.

Thanks guyslovecpf

Niconical

Enlightened
Re: International shipping

For post sent within the USA senders can hand their package to the postal worker at their home or work, but for international they have to go to the post office. This can be a problem for many as the USA is a big place and outside of the cities the nearest post office could be a long drive away. Also it seems USPS offices sometimes have long queues and waiting times. Another reason is familiarity. You might be used to posting to other countries, but most people aren't, and probably don't have the time to learn.

There will of course always be some who don't want to ship out of the USA because they're not aware that there actually is anything outside of the USA, other than signs on the map saying "here be dragons", but that attitude is rare on CPF, and is hardly exclusive to Americans anyway.

After a while though (well, I do anyway) you get a feel for the sellers who do and don't, and tend to gravitate to their threads if you see one.

If you want something on the Marketplace that is marked as CONUS only, it doesn't hurt to ask. If the answer is no, move on politely to the next thread :)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

There will of course always be some who don't want to ship out of the USA because they're not aware that there actually is anything outside of the USA, other than signs on the map saying "here be dragons", but that attitude is rare on CPF, and is hardly exclusive to Americans anyway.
:crackup:

Nice one Nick :D

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do understand a person doesn´t want to wait in line for half a hour - even though I don´t understand why USPS postal offices do that to their customers. I´ve never had to wait any longer than 10 minutes and that´s quite rare to happen. It´s either the USPS employees doing a messy job or USPS doesn´t employ enough poeple to get the job done in time. Sometimes it is the "additional paperwork" for international shipping that keeps the seller from shipping international. Even though with the stuff shipped from one CPF member to the next CPF member you just have to use the CN22 form and it takes about 10 seconds to fill it out.

Anyway, after all it is everyones right to keep their sales lokal for whatever reason. I respect that even though I don´t understand the reasons sometimes.

Eric

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

There have been many topics on this subject, and why people don't want to deal with the US Post Offices in person. Do a search. In a nutshell, it takes me 15 minutes each way driving to the post office, then there is at most 1 or 2 windows open, and often 15-20 people in line. You get one person with a bunch of certified letters from a legal office, or a shopping cart full of boxes, and you could be waiting in line for over an hour. Then there is an obnoxious and extrememly efficient city parking ticket troll making chalk marks on car tires, and who takes great joy in passing out $40 tickets for being in your spot for longer than the posted 30 minutes. I was getting in my car as he kept writing up the ticket a couple years ago.

It has nothing to do with the filling out the paperwork form.

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do a lot of international shipping.

First off, you don't need to wait in line at the P.O. unless your parcel weighs more than 13 oz. If it does, you have to wait in line even to send it domestically unless you use a postage meter. I just attach the appropriate customs sticker (Form 2976 for items weighing less than 4 pounds) and put it in my mail box or drop it in the box at the post office. So the only difference in sending small parcels internationally is a couple of minutes to fill out the customs form (pick up a handful next time you're at the P.O.) and a bit more postage.

UPS and FedEx require several copies of a commercial invoice to be enclosed, and they have some rules about what can be sent in an envelope or box. I find it to be a lot more hassle than USPS but, of course, you do get tracking and guaranteed delivery.

c_c

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I do a lot of international shipping.

First off, you don't need to wait in line at the P.O. unless your parcel weighs more than 13 oz. If it does, you have to wait in line even to send it domestically unless you use a postage meter. I just attach the appropriate customs sticker (Form 2976 for items weighing less than 4 pounds) and put it in my mail box or drop it in the box at the post office. So the only difference in sending small parcels internationally is a couple of minutes to fill out the customs form (pick up a handful next time you're at the P.O.) and a bit more postage.

UPS and FedEx require several copies of a commercial invoice to be enclosed, and they have some rules about what can be sent in an envelope or box. I find it to be a lot more hassle than USPS but, of course, you do get tracking and guaranteed delivery.

c_c

Apparently there is variability among the various PO branches. I have confirmed numerous times asking my local postman, & other temps that fill in, and calling the local P.O., that they WILL NOT ACCEPT a First Class package (under or over 13oz) that has the manually filled out 2976 Customs form, even if I personally hand it to them. It MUST be taken to the local Post Office. --this form is the problem:

form2976_f.jpg

They do accept their "Click-N-Ship" Priority Mail labeled (domestic & interantional) boxes that have the customs info printed and incorporated on the label which I sign and date (and which I use domestically if more than 13oz). There is not a Click-N-Ship option at the USPS website for First Class Mail.

See this post by Paul from that other thread which seems to reinforce my experience.

"With the exceptions noted below, a mailer may not deposit a First-Class Mail International item that requires a completed customs form into a collection box, lobby drop, Automated Postal Center (APC) drop, Postal Service lobby, Postal Service dock, or other unattended location. Mailers must present such items to a Postal Service employee at a Post Office facility or other location as designated by the postmaster. The Postal Service returns improperly presented items to the sender for proper entry and acceptance."

Source: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc2_020.htm

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast

Egad, right you are. I've been getting away with it for years, and in fact dropped one off at the P.O. yesterday -- please don't tell my local P.O.!

c_c

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

Where I live in Australia if I want to post anything, be it letter or package I have to go to the post office so I guess I'm used to going there.

No way would our postman ever accept anything going the other way, he just delivers.

From the descriptions here I can see why you blokes don't like to do it but fortunately some of your businesses get the process dead right and that's probably why 4sevens is the only US business I've ever bought any torches and parts off. No questions about international shipping, the shipping is included in the price and I just order, pay and the goods come to my door half a world away, same goes with a number of the hong kong torch sellers.

I've now got so used to that ever-so-easy "international shipping included" process that now whenever a US torch website has a process to go through for an international shipping quote I just close the page and don't bother with that seller or product. So even buyers can get used to doing things the easy way and not be bothered when there's a bit of extra legwork.

Something I've been wondering is whether US buyers also have an "international shipping" aversion to actually buying something from overseas sellers on the CPF Market Place? Like if I wanted to sell a torch I didn't like, would I basically only be advertising to Aussie buyers or would US ones think about it too?

Niconical

Enlightened

Something I've been wondering is whether US buyers also have an "international shipping" aversion to actually buying something from overseas sellers on the CPF Market Place? Like if I wanted to sell a torch I didn't like, would I basically only be advertising to Aussie buyers or would US ones think about it too?

Some might be put off buying from you due to the time it would take for them to get their package (we all want our flashlight stuff yesterday), and some might hesitate depending on the declared value and concerns about it getting held up. However, I've not seen much evidence on the MP of buyers intentionally avoiding a seller just based on location or nationality. In general, whatever you're selling, there will be a buyer (if the price is right) and that buyer could be from anywhere.

Vesper

Enlightened

Shipping a lot of stuff, my wife's business stopped shipping outside US for the most part. The endless problems with customs, lost and stalled packages, lack of trackability and fraud, and the extra time and effort don't make it worth the hassle. UPS and Fed EX are prohibitively expensive as an alternative. So some just sense or have experienced this and don't want to go there. Plus, there be dragons.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

Customs seem to cause so many problems for some countries don't they. I guess we're lucky, Australian Customs don't touch any package worth a thousand or less.

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened

Same here. Unless you write "contents: drugs 'n' guns" on the box, Spanish customs don't seem interested in personal packages.
Some Euro countries do get hit hard though.

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened

Customs seem to cause so many problems for some countries don't they. I guess we're lucky, Australian Customs don't touch any package worth a thousand or less.

I've had a couple of packages opened for inspection but so far nothing's been confiscated and I haven't had to pay any duty. My Spy007 box arrived a bit beaten up with packing tape wrapped around the openings and sure enough, there was a customs inspection form inside the box. I also bought a Caly3 which was inspected by customs but the knife was deemed legal (I asked the seller to tighten the pivot before shipping). I think Aussie customs are doing a good job and don't worry about my packages getting lost in the mail.

I've noticed most buyers responding to things I've put up for sale are from Europe or the UK. Maybe that's just because lights are more readily available in the US and the extra shipping costs on top of my sale prices make them look elsewhere.

One thing that annoys me is online sellers who only ship internationally using EMS and refuse to post by lower cost methods, even if the merchandise being bought is a fraction of the cost of the EMS shipping. I tried to buy about US$5 of merchandise from an online seller this morning and saw on their shopping cart there was no low cost shipping option and they wanted about US$25 for EMS. I sent them an email asking if they could post via airmail and they refused. They've definitely lost a customer here.

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

I've had a couple of packages opened for inspection but so far nothing's been confiscated and I haven't had to pay any duty. My Spy007 box arrived a bit beaten up with packing tape wrapped around the openings and sure enough, there was a customs inspection form inside the box. I also bought a Caly3 which was inspected by customs but the knife was deemed legal (I asked the seller to tighten the pivot before shipping). I think Aussie customs are doing a good job and don't worry about my packages getting lost in the mail.
yeah sorry, my words were muddy, I was actually referring to the fact that they don't hold mail items up to impose duty and tax unless they are valued over a grand unlike the petty taxing that seems to go on in the UK and parts of Europe.

But yes, on the other hand, everything coming into Australia by mail is screened and is subject to potential x-ray and/or opening for inspection for prohibited imports and quarantine or for under declaring value.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing that annoys me is online sellers who only ship internationally using EMS and refuse to post by lower cost methods, even if the merchandise being bought is a fraction of the cost of the EMS shipping. I tried to buy about US$5 of merchandise from an online seller this morning and saw on their shopping cart there was no low cost shipping option and they wanted about US$25 for EMS. I sent them an email asking if they could post via airmail and they refused. They've definitely lost a customer here.
They probably got hit by SCAMMERS in the past.

Scammers orders goods from a different country.
Wait till goods arrive in customs. Wait another 2 weeks. Complain to Credit card company/Paypal goods were not sent.
Seller was not able to provide proof of delivery. Credit card company/Paypal withdraws money from seller's account, reimburses scammer.
Scammer gets his money back, goes down to customs to collect goods.

One CPF member got double scammed. Scammer contacted him saying goods were lost. The trusting CPF member sent replacement goods. Scammer withdraws money then collects both sets of goods.
Admits to the scam after, even taunts the CPF member "What are you going to do about it"

DX ships registered mail if package is over $10. Signature required (proof of delivery). Unfortunately that is not offered by Canada Post (and I suspect USPS) for regular mail.
Fedex, UPS etc clears customs and require signature (proof of delivery). Unfortunately for buyers, in addition to extra shipping costs, there is customs brokerage costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.