Why SureFire is more $$$ than Fenix???

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Research and Development.

What a joke. Absolutely unacceptable to pass the "Research and Development" costs to the consumer.

Fenix was one of the first to utilize the Cree LEDS. No one attributes the extra cost of those lights to research and development.

To those who pay Surefires' "R & D" - :crackup:

gilly

Enlightened
...but if I'm going to drop anything over $50 on a light, I'm going to save a little longer and get my money's worth with a Surefire. I have never felt these lights are over priced and have always been impressed with fit, finish, quality, and reliability.

Come on now ----- you have to admit those Surefires are pretty overpriced!! I own a Fenix L2D CE and a Surefire U2. Yes, the Surefire is a better, sturdier, better engineered light.

But ---- $60 vs. $250:eek:

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I really didn't mean to start anything. I didn't realize that this was a "touchy" issue... so I apologize to anyone who is offended in some way. I do read quite a bit and I've gotten a lot of good information around the forum. I've even sent some PM's and, for the most part, have received courteous responses.

I live in a small community and don't have a place where I can examine these lights up close and personal. So I have to rely on guys like you for help and advice. Overall, despite some of the comments on this thread, I've gotten lots of good advice, and I always appreciate it.

I'll try to be more specific next time. And, Wick... thanks for the thread links. I'll do some more reading. I didn't realize that this question had already gotten so much attention.

Thanks to those of you who answered my question. You made some good points, and I understand the difference a lot better now.

Just to clarify, I'm not out to offend you or anyone who asks a legit question. I may have come off like a jerk in my earlier post and I apologize for that. However, take a look at the links I posted and you'll see where the frustration comes from. Good luck with your search.

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened
What a joke. Absolutely unacceptable to pass the "Research and Development" costs to the consumer.

Fenix was one of the first to utilize the Cree LEDS. No one attributes the extra cost of those lights to research and development.

To those who pay Surefires' "R & D" - :crackup:
Now I'm beginning to understand what was meant by watching this thread fall apart. Anybody who buys anything from any company is helping to pay the cost (whatever that may be..R & D/ S&H/ middle men etc) to get that product to market. ALL costs MUST be paid by the consumer. Who else could pay for it? "There is no free lunch"

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm beginning to understand what was meant by watching this thread fall apart. Anybody who buys anything from any company is helping to pay the cost (whatever that may be..R & D/ S&H/ middle men etc) to get that product to market. ALL costs MUST be paid by the consumer. Who else could pay for it? "There is no free lunch"

Yep, those costs have to be covered. R&D engineers have this peculiarity - they like to be paid for their work! And the ONLY source of revenue is the sale of lights.

If you think Fenix is giving away any R&D they're doing, you're mistaken.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with you there. I bought some Surefires early in the decade from such places as Arizona Gunrunners and Texas Tactical Supply (very good service with William) because with the discount I sorta felt like I was getting a bargain but when Surefire changed their policy, I could no longer justify the price although as you said, it's a personal decision.

As I posted in another thread, I have no problems with the Fenix quality. The difference is, I would trust my Fenix to fall out of my backpack and hit the ground and still function. I would trust my Surefire to fall out of my backpack, bounce off a few rocks and tumble a bit and still work.

That said, I stopped buying Surefire years ago, when they chopped their distribution network and severely limited allowed discounts, because for me even the enhanced quality didn't merit the price. But that is a deeply personal decision, I can't fault anyone for going with SF.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
Until your clickie switch on your SF E2L or E1L dies on you that is. This happened to my new Cree E1L the same day I got it. I'm not buying anymore SFs unless I get a good deal. To spend $100 on a light that breaks the first day you get it is silly. Sorry just had to say it.

Ever hold a Surefire light and a Fenix light in your hands, side by side?? You will notice the differences in build quality right away...;)

Last edited:

Rzr800

Enlightened
"...DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR GOING TO USE IT FOR!..."

+1

I may encourage folks to check out the deals that can be had on what some American companies don't seem all that interested in providing; yet others have a job to do with these lights (no different than a gun) where failure is not an option.

To me, this is Fenix vs Surefire in a nutshell ...and if I'm SureFire?...you're going to pay for that dependability/support one way or another.

Last edited:

fleegs

Enlightened
Surefire- respect for dealers, better quality, better warranty, more US taxes to pay

I am big into what the company stands for. But since marketing and such distort that, I usually pick by product, price and want.

If I had to choose between the two I would only pick by the type of light I am looking for. For example, if I wanted a simple user interface with two levels I would pick the L1. If I wanted a light to impress I would buy the P3D Q5 premium (mostly for strobe, nothing impresses like strobe for some reason).

Sorry you got so much negativity in the responses. CPF is a big place now. Maybe they haven't learned that if it annoys you, turn it off and take a break.

Good luck with your purchase and happy holidays!

rob

tygger

Enlightened
I do not doubt the durability of SF lights, however I get the impression that the repeated claim of their ability to withstand more abuse than Fenix lights is mostly anectdotal and not based on actual user experience. Just an observation, not an opinion.

o0o

Enlightened
Compare a SF and Fenix side by side and you should see the difference yourself.

That said, in my opinion, SF's consistently put out top notch quality at ANY price level (except for the switch on some models).

Fenix puts out relatively good quality for the price.

Fenix loses points in my book for not offering polarity protection.

Both will get the job done, its just a matter of how much you want to pay and the level of quality you want.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then why did you click on it???? Just because you've been here a long time gives you no right to be rude. See something you don't like....skip it. You act like you own this board. I'm new here and so is Roy. Make us feel welcome, not like a PITA.

+1

Same reason I keep on buying a new flashlight even though I already have plenty.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not doubt the durability of SF lights, however I get the impression that the repeated claim of their ability to withstand more abuse than Fenix lights is mostly anectdotal and not based on actual user experience. Just an observation, not an opinion.

They can stand the abuse by catalog models who don't know how to use lights:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183653

roymail

Enlightened

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, the main factor is that they are supporting their image of the best quality flashlight manufacturer

I remember reading somewhere on the web one time (about software though, not hardware, but should be applicable) that if you want people to think your quality is very good, you have to charge a higher price. People see the high price and equate that with very good quality. It's psychological.

Now, if your product is really good quality, but you charge a low price for it, then the quality image goes away. But if you have a bad product and charge a high price for it, eventually people will find out and stay away from you.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Well in my original post I didn't answer your question so here it is...... Surefire cost more because of their ability to scare off mountain lions, tigers, bears, alligators and the occasional hyena. Fenix light's can't do this so they cost less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.