Why SureFire is more $$$ than Fenix???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I like and use Surefire lights, and I like the two Fenix's that I have owned, and still own one (daughter "borrowed" one of them). I do not compare the Fenix to the Surefire, and I am sure that the makers of the Fenix do not try to compete with Surefire, nor would they make a comparison. This is the 1,000,000th thread (I take liberty here) on Fenix vs Surefire. There should be one sticky thread that all could post to, to bring issues forward re "Surefire vs Fenix", and "Fenix vs Surefire".

Bill

todo

Newly Enlightened
What If Surfire and Fenix prices were swapped ? I'm thinking many here would drool for the ultra bright, and smooth sleek lines of a Fenix light.

Lucky for many the best light is the less expensive one. But If the prices were swapped ,I'd still buy the current crop of Fenix lights over the Surfires.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a joke. Absolutely unacceptable to pass the "Research and Development" costs to the consumer.

Fenix was one of the first to utilize the Cree LEDS. No one attributes the extra cost of those lights to research and development.

To those who pay Surefires' "R & D" - :crackup:

:crackup: x 100 At your post! You're kidding right?

Fenix might of been the first to bring to market a OEM Cree flashlight. I bet my entire flashlight collection that Surefire has been testing, perfecting the use of it. A few years ago I got a chance to see whats inside PK's Toy/Experimental box. Absolutely amazing what a man like PK, and $$$$$$$ in R&D can come up with. What I would give to have anyone one of those lights in that big Pelican case. :)

If M@glite had an R&D dept like Surefires..who knows what we'd be carrying. (Just saw the Maglite TV commercial they run every year around this time...its almost comical now. It focuses! It has 0-rings! OMG!)

They have a lifetime warranty to think about. Unless something catastrophic happens Surefire is not going anywhere. Who knows where Fenix will be 5 years from now.

Like many here..I own both brands, and my experiences with both of them have been great. You can't really go wrong with either one. Quality is there on both brands.

As stated before..Its the labor, the marketing, the photography(Im a photographer), the people behind the company. The Surefire booth at Shot Show is second to none. The product photography is nice and clean and we aren't cheap! American photographers aren't cheap, American engineers, CNC operators, machinists, and even customer service are definitely not cheap compared to what it costs in China.

I support whoever provides a better product. If a company has a better product, I don't care where it comes from.

Last edited:

Numbers

Enlightened
What If Surfire and Fenix prices were swapped ? I'm thinking many here would drool for the ultra bright, and smooth sleek lines of a Fenix light.

Lucky for many the best light is the less expensive one. But If the prices were swapped ,I'd still buy the current crop of Fenix lights over the Surfires.
That would be wonderful.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some Great SF lights that are well worth the money. The SF M2, M4, M6 incans. The SF U2 and A2. No one make lights like the last two and the M6. Also the Titan is a one of a kind light.

As for Fenix, they make the T1, which is the toughest and brightest $68 light I have ever owned. I personally think it is tougher than the SF M2. Plus it is way brighter than any SF led light.

But, buy what you want. There is a lot of pride of ownership that comes with owning Surefire lights. For me, owning a T1 reminds me of my old SF lights, but with greater performance at a unbelievably cheap price.

Burgess

Flashaholic
(pops head up, and shouts)

"Oh yeah, well if SureFire is so GREAT, then why don't they have S-O-S mode ? ? ?"

(then quickly ducks down, and runs for cover)

:tinfoil:
_

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
(pops head up, and shouts)

"Oh yeah, well if SureFire is so GREAT, then why don't they have S-O-S mode ? ? ?"

(then quickly ducks down, and runs for cover)

:tinfoil:
_

HEHE! SOS FTW! P.S. I own a P3D for round the house use and bought a few that I gave away to non flashaholics.. I keep the surefires to myself :devil:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Fenix vs. SureFire, the NeverEndingStory :)

Stop ! ! !

You're both right !

It's a Floor Wax, and a Dessert Topping !

(wink)

_

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Well in my original post I didn't answer your question so here it is...... Surefire cost more because of their ability to scare off mountain lions, tigers, bears, alligators and the occasional hyena. Fenix light's can't do this so they cost less.

Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my...

surefire is the light id trust my life on.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snap On Vs Craftsman
BMW vs Toyota
Zaino vs Turtlewax

It goes on and on...

Another reason I like Surefire is because I like the design of the lights and the logo. Imagine a mean looking light like the M6 and putting a Lumapower logo on it? I would not buy it just for that! Design and the looks of a light, to me are just as important. Form following function. Surefire gets my money for that.

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened
I own one Fenix, I own one Surefire, I own many "Cheapo" LEDs and incans, I own many Maglites ( every one with a drop-in). They are my children, never disrespect my children, for I love them equally and unconditionally.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Why, because. I prefer SF but I have both. I lean towards SF because I like to leggo to no end. SF gets a big nod for the ability to swap emitters in some of their lights, and these are the ones I like. Cant swap out any Fenix emitters I know of. Cost issue though, simple - name brand recognition + advertising. I have never seen a Fenix Ad. That said I will buy a T1 when they start putting the R bins in them in Feb. I say buy both and be happy using them in different roles.

cal..45

Enlightened
Well in my original post I didn't answer your question so here it is...... Surefire cost more because of their ability to scare off mountain lions, tigers, bears, alligators and the occasional hyena. Fenix light's can't do this so they cost less.

lol, one of the best jokes I have read in days :twothumbs

Why SureFire is more $$$ than Fenix???
well, made in america not china will undoubtely have a significant raise on their price compared to fenix (or other china made lamps for that matter). but everyone who believes this justifys the four or five times higher price is gotta be kidding and should do some homework about marketing and price strategy. its plain simple, yet old as adam that people believe they have "something special" just because the price is high. does really anyone here believe a mechanical movement driven 5000 $ rolex submariner is a better watch than a 100$ solar powered, radio controlled g-shock? just drop them both from a 25 stories building on concrete (yes this has really be done) and you will know which one is really better. and before one askes why someone would want to throw his/her watch out of a window? - I have absolutely no idea, but I have no idea either why this would be the case with a flashlight....

I keep reading about "durability" and "craftmanship" is so superior on surefire lamps. well, that might be true but I honestly can't see what is so much worse about a fenix light that it not could handle 100% of every day given situations. the worst thing I did to my fenix L2D was to let it fall a couple times on the ground (concrete) simply because it slipped out of my hand. it still works perfectly and a few marks around the bezel don't bother me at all. I took it with me diving to the bottom of a swimming pool (about 3,80 meters deep) and it still works fine. it is mounted to the bar of my bicycle and therefoe gets a lot of shaking and it still works fine. I even had mounted it once to my 12 gauge shotgun, with about 120-140 shells fired (including 50 grams 12/76 magnum loads) and it would take the recoil without any sign of stress or failure.

for me there is simply no reason to buy a flashlight that costs about four or five times more but wouldn't do in my opinion nothing better. that doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate surefire lamps, I just have personally no need for them (other than to collect maybe).

so the major point of the higher price for a surfire is IMO marketing, marketing and did I mention marketing?

regards, holger

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one think that Surefires are over priced, but part of that has to do with the fact that I'm cheap. When it comes to being a consumer, my goal is to get decent to excellent quality products at low prices. With that said, Surefires to me are classified as an excellent quality product. If I can get one for cheap, then I would buy one and I have. Surefire's high pricing and high end product lines wouldn't bother me so much if they would bother to cater to the cheapos, er budget conscious people and have an economy line of flashlights that they could sell at department stores that cost about the same sub $50 price as say Inova, Dorcy or Brinkmann flashlights. I don't think it would kill their reputation if they did so, but hey that's just my opinion. I've recently seen the new LED versions of the 6P and G2 at Lowes, but they're not cheap (both selling in the $80+ price range). I mean c'mon, a $90 freaking flashlight at Lowes??? Give me a break! At first I thought the notion that Lowes carrying Surfire was interesting but after I saw the price, I was left scratching my head. Sure some flashaholics here have been excited about that and have bought them from Lowes, but for me and other budget concious flashaholics/enthusiasts, it feels more like window shopping. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on this topic...

Status
Not open for further replies.