Wife is afraid of the Oklahoma bears...need more light for camping.

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
You are going about this all wrong. As any CPF'er knows, the best way to fend off bears that don't actually exist is with multiple lights. You need a really high end EDC, Surefires in both LED and incan. versions, a few of the good Jetbeams, some Malkoff devices for your Mag, an HID thrower, and probably some really cool, lightweight Fenix lights. Better get a LiteFlux and a Quark just to be safe.

Also, as everyone knows, ficticious bears are terrified of anything with a titanium case. The last bear that I never encountered was instantly repelled with my Surefire LX2, so I'm pretty sure that HAIII bodies are also bear resistant.

Good luck, you have a lot of mail ordering to do!!

GaryF

Enlightened
The bears may well be real, http://www.extension.org/pages/Oklahoma_Black_Bear_Population_Increasing

This may not be a popular choice, but a Fenix TK20 has great throw, and the neutral white tint seems to penetrate better and give better definition of colors and objects. Mine has replaced a small spotlight for boat use on the Missouri River. There are brighter lights available, but things like form factor come into play as well. What good is a big spotlight if you don't have it handy when something goes bump in the night?

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny thing is, there are no bears in Oklahoma.

There is a little known fact that you should inform your wife about - non-existent bears are scared away by the sounds of a couple engaged in sexual intercourse. In studies it has been found that no couple engaged in such activity has ever been attacked by non-existent bears, making it 100% effective.

Dr KiwiMark
PHD in Non-existent Zoology.

PS
Tell her you read it on the internet so it must be true!

Rexlion

Enlightened
Another good alternative is to buy a Maglite that has been modified with a bright P7 LED emitter. I got one from member kz1000s1 in the B/S/T section, and it's great. Somewhere around 800 lumens. You can get one for 3 C or 3 D batteries; mine had the battery tube cut down for a 18650 lithium ion rechargeable, but that's not necessary. And you can still adjust the head for wide flood or more narrow spot. You can see stuff over 400 feet away with one of these.

Some of the other models folks have mentioned have been good ones, too. I think you definitely need to take advantage of this situation and buy several bright lights. At least 2 for sure... tell her it's one for her to use while you are outside checking around with the other one. :tinfoil:

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Funny thing is, there are no bears in Oklahoma.

I was in the Ouachita National Forest in SE Oklahoma this weekend, and there was a sign by the camp ground warning about bears:

bear-country.jpg

So in some places in OK perhaps your wife is right to be worried - although not to the extent that it sounds like she is.

That said, I've never encountered a bear out here. However, the US Forest Service appears to agree with your wife. Regardless, I think the chances of an actual injury from a bear are quite low, unless the tent where you are sleeping is full of food.

Latest posts