wife just found me out! - OH ya!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just tell my wife that my entire collection doesnt even come close to a fraction of what she spends on shoes. :D (as long as that fraction is 1/2 or 3/4 that is, hahahaha)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have whipped out your EDC, blinded her with the strobe and made your escape with the box of lights! (finally, a use for the strobe!):grin2:

:crackup:

Yes, a fight or flight response. You panic, as if she might actually confiscate them.

But that puts you on the defense. I say be proactive. Keep what you can in a Halliburton briefcase (chained to your wrist 24/7).

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW "gordonshowers" you may have slip that name past the mods but the rest of us are on to the joke.:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

I've used this username on every forum I've ever joined in the last five years, and yours is the very first comment I've ever received about it!

Right.....just like you happen to mention your "wife" in every post you make! I think I'm going to change my name to Michael Hunt!!!
crackup.gif
crackup.gif
crackup.gif

mmace1

Enlightened
It's a hobby in the end. Many people have hobbies, and many hobbies are significantly more expensive, without even allowing the hobbyist to participate in the highest levels of the field (e.g. - collecting watches, stamps, art, riding horses, cars, etc.) With flashlights - <$100 wisely spent, and you own arguably one of the best flashlights in existence, even Surefires are "only" a few hundred. Try attaining the best objects in any of the other aforementioned hobbies.

Or simply in general - how much do watch collectors/stamp collectors/art collectors/horse riders/car collectors/etc. spend on their hobbies?

I don't even collect flashlights myself - I own one, a Romisen RC N3 2-mode, I just occasionally research flashlights as they seem interesting. So speaking from somewhat the outside here - yes, flashlights are one of the odder hobbies, but not so-freaky-it's-negative way! It's also relatively inexpensive, you enjoy it, and you get to participate in the highest levels of your chosen hobby. It seems to me you're very lucky to have such a hobby :)

Last edited:

trainwreck

Newly Enlightened
just don't mention that you give your flashlights names and maybe she will ease up on the "talk to someone" aspect of your addiction.

justlux

Newly Enlightened
My boyfriend is eccentric but i have accepted his flashaholism :whistle: although he does tend to buy torches without telling me :twak:

Jessica

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Mine gave up on me long long ago. She knows I spend tons of money on toys and will likely never stop. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than a redhead and sports car is all I can say. :D

Bachac88

Newly Enlightened
Sure,it's OK for the women folk to buy dozens of pairs of shoes-many that will only be worn once or twice.But if we own more than one light then we "need to see someone".

Before the internet a man could lie to his woman and get away with it.

The way I see it you'll have to come up with better lies.

Wifeys always have lots of shoes and jewelry. Our lights are practical. My wife still doesn't know about my lights. She's knows about my knife collection though and even bought me one or two. Not sure what she'll say when she see my 16 odd flashlights

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is no big deal, just get her a LV, or gucci handbag, also flowers once a week, should keep her mind off your lights

mmace1

Enlightened
Wifeys always have lots of shoes and jewelry. Our lights are practical...my 16 odd flashlights...

I see a slight inconsistency in your statement there. :) Flashlights are very practical, but those last 10 or so were pretty much just for fun. :D Women's shoes are extremely practical too (even more so for that first pair!), but when I woman starts to own 30, 40 pairs there's that same certain diminishing marginal return...

Speaking of which - to the OP - maybe total how much you've spent on flashlights the past year (less any re-sales)...and then firmly write that amount off as your 'hobby' expenses. In those terms it probably doesn't sound so bad at all.

Last edited:

Mdinana

Enlightened
You work?

Then it's your money.

Tell her to **** off and stop buying crap - shoes, beauty items, makeup, getting her hair or nails done, decorations for the house (seriously, do walls really need shelves with trinkets on them?) etc. At least you're not buying a Corvette and going through a mid-life crisis that way. And flashlights at least are useful 8-20 hours a day, depending where you live.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Finesse is the answer when dealing with our lovelies about our flashaholicism. We must be tactful, and be truthful. If we notice that there is going to be no good end, and bitter feuding about our hobby, then we should evaluate our position in life and where we want to be. We may want to give up our hobby, or give up something else.

Now, to be truthful, I do have those kind of problems and my wife supports my hobby and has gone to fairly extreme measures to get me a flashlight, an M4. However, if she had not supported me all these years with my various hobbies, shooting for one, then I would have married the wrong woman, and I didn't.

Bill

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell her to **** off and stop buying crap - shoes, beauty items, makeup,...

I take it that you took this line with your ex? Bet you showed her.

That's the spirit, old chap! Tell her you will give up buying lights when she gives up the tampons. I guy needs his edc, you know. Fair is fair.

If you can convince her that the modern led flashlight is today's tampon for today's guy, maybe she wont make you go talk to anyone. Maybe not.

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
Look her straight in the eye and tell her "Those are not mine, I swear, I was holding it for a friend of mine". Yep, that should work just fine.

This cracked me up. Sounds like me when my parents used to raid my room when I was a teenager.

On the bright side, there are many WAY worse hobbies you could be hiding in the closet. Give her a few choices, I'm sure she'll choose flashlights.

cl83

Newly Enlightened
Guess I should consider myself lucky on this one. I recently lost my job and my wife actually funds my habit for the time being! So far I've scored an E1B and 3 mag hosts with plenty of custom parts and batteries totaling over $400. My trick? I make her feel special and suddenly as long as there is enough money to live it doesn't matter what we spend it on. As long as she has a smile on her face she will keep a smile on mine.

Norm

Retired Administrator
You work?

Then it's your money.

Tell her to **** off and stop buying crap - shoes, beauty items, makeup, getting her hair or nails done, decorations for the house (seriously, do walls really need shelves with trinkets on them?) etc. At least you're not buying a Corvette and going through a mid-life crisis that way. And flashlights at least are useful 8-20 hours a day, depending where you live.
Tell her whatever you like but your the one that is going to have to face her in the morning sans makeup and looking like she shops at a Goodwill store.

I always thought marriage was a team sport. :kiss:
Works well in our house happy wife = happy Norm and never a dispute about a new torch, if she wants something I do my best to make sure she has it, works both ways. ;)
Norm