Windows 7 are you moving?

mejesster

Newly Enlightened
Excuse me? Do you even know what you are talking about? The registry most definitely IS a major problem of windows. Linux does not have a registry. Operating systems do not need to have a registry; there are other things that work better. Saying that the user base is the problem makes absolutely no sense. I am knowledgeable about computers, but I still have PLENTY of issues with windows that have nothing to do with me at all. Are you saying that the reason my computer takes twice as long to start now up as it did a week after windows was installed is because I don't know what I am doing?

The registry gets most screwed up when your computer has had a lot of programs installed and uninstalled. Most of those programs dump crap into the registry. Servers are not PCs; people are not installing a new program on them every other week. I am not talking about stability, but an inefficient design. Besides, programs shouldn't need to be "installed." Many of the utilities that I use (even in windows) are simple .exe files, and run from whatever folder I put them in. ALL programs in windows should be like that.

Have you ever compared boot times under Linux with the nvidia GLX drivers? It easily doubles the boot time. Or worse still, have you ever noted the difference in boot time while loading fiber HBA drivers? Yikes. ndiswrapper also does a number on Linux boot times. Don't get me wrong, Windows is no speed demon, but blaming slow boots on the Windows registry is only a small part of the problem.

The registry itself. It's just a database of settings information. Mostly text. There's nothing wrong with text. Linux uses text too, try checking out the /etc directory. Some Linux package management is just as bad as Windows uninstallers, leaving behind orphaned files, not cleaning up unused dependencies, or worse, cleaning up dependencies used by other applications.
CLARIFICATION: It's not necessarily human-readable text in the registry.

I'll assume you just meant that most of the utilities you use are standalone binaries. Linux doesn't use .exe files. There are tons of Windows standalone binaries you can use without installing - I think the portable apps project is pretty neat (http://portableapps.com/). Again though, most Linux distributions require you to install apps as well, in order to do things like check dependencies, put themselves in "normal" areas of the directory tree, build symlinks, create settings directories, etc. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.

Oh, and thanks for asking if I know what I'm doing. I do enterprise IT professionally. I'd appreciate it if, in the future, you attack the argument, not the person, and if you'd make an argument backed up with facts, instead of vague insinuations that I'm a moron.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see what you are saying; it just seemed to me that by "user base" you were referring to those people using the computers (such as me) were the reason that windows was not well tolerated. I realize that the registry in itself would not be as much of a problem if programs did not treat it the way they do and clutter it up. However, I still am not really sure what you mean when you say that the user base is the problem. How are nvidia drivers at all related to the "user base?"

mejesster

Newly Enlightened
When I attempted to install firefox it said it was not compatible and killed the setup process.

Can you post screens with the error message and the exact filename of the installer? It sounds like you have a version for the wrong CPU architecture, but that shouldn't happen.

When I say the userbase, I don't just mean user error, I mean conflicting needs and wants from 92% of computer users. For instance, support for someone's PCMCIA card slows down my boot time by some tiny amount of time while Windows scans for new cards. Hardware manufacturers generally do a pretty poor job of making drivers (Intel is pretty much the only company I'll not lump into this category) which slows down Windows further. The vast install base makes application development on Windows attractive, and lots of people make software that doesn't correctly use the registry, leading to precisely the problem you are complaining about. Lastly, while Windows has VAST security problems, all the security in the world won't prevent users from things like the old Kournikova virus:
http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/viruses-and-spyware/vbsssta.html
which wasn't able to spread by itself, but had to be manually run.

Does that clear up my point of view at all? It's a pretty broad "problem", but it encompasses all the worst things about Windows.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving it for the most part except for some older software incompatibilities. Some programs open instantly like Thunderbird like the program was just minimized instead of closed. Is this because commonly used programs are cached in memory?

Also some apps are running faster with the same hardware such as WinRAR. Is this the difference between an x64 bit OS as opposed to an X32? If so then it's a pretty sizable difference, almost like doing a CPU upgrade.

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the beta version of windows 7 for a few months now on my new PC build. I have to say that I am impressed with it overall. In the few months I have used it I have had not system crashes or problems whatsoever.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made the the move, last week. If you're a student or at least have a .edu email address, you can get it for $29.99 (download) and another $13 if you want them to, also, mail you the DVD. They're also running an Ultimate Office 2007 promo for students --$59.99 (and $13 for a mailed DVD.) My wife is currently a student, so we took advantage of the deal and got them both. So far, it's great. At first, it bugged me slightly that I couldn't see each instance of Windows Explorer that was open, without having to highlight the "file" icon on the task bar, but I've since gotten used to it. The biggest advantage, though, is that W7 is blazing fast. I was using Vista Business, previously, and this one is WAY faster, and so far, no bugs. It's like an improved Vista that runs as fast as XP. So far, after a week and a few updates, it hasn't slowed down at all.

Even after all the updates, Vista still had some major bugs. For me, the biggest bug was some type of networking/wireless bug that would cause me to lose connection to the Internet and not be able to reconnect, without restarting the whole computer. When I'd go to restart it, it would take about 20 minutes to shut down, and that shut down ALWAYS ended in a blue screen. So far, I've not lost connection at all. Other than that and being really slow, though, Vista was fine, although I actually preferred XP's version of Windows Explorer better, as the way to navigate through the various drives just seemed to be more intuitive.

Another good thing about W7 is that they've finally incorporated all the codex necessary to use Windows Media Player to play other types of files, such as Divx/Xvid w/AC3 audio and .mkv. Perhaps, it has something more to do with a newer version of WMP, but I've not taken notice of any WMP version changes. So, I've been able to watch my camcorder videos and other media files without having to download any additional codex.

Additionally, there are a few gadgets that they've added, like "sticky notes," which are like post it notes you can just stick on your screen. Even after restarts, the post its are still there. I've already used it and it does come it handy. Previously, I'd use the notepad, but this is much handier for quick notes. Also, there's a screen capturing utility that allows you to capture any part of the screen, at any time, so if you're viewing a Flash based website that doesn't allow right click/save for images, you can just use the "Snipping Tool."

Really, though, so far, for me, it's all about the speed. It's so nice to be able to just zip from one thing to the next. I'm using one of the earliest 1.8gz dual core processors, too, so it's not like my computer is a monster or anything. I think, even the most inexpensive computer (not netbook) will come with a processor at least as fast as mine, if not faster.

The only mistake I made was buying the wrong version! They allow students to choose between W7 Home Premium and Professional. I really should have gotten professional, because I was running Vista Business, and you cannot downgrade versions, so I had to do a fresh install. Really, though, that's probably for the better, anyway, as a fresh install always seems to be the cleanest way to put a new OS on a system. Plus, I didn't have too many programs installed and I keep 99.9% of my data on external drives, so getting back up and running was fast and painless. Professional might have come in handy, some time in the future (though, maybe not), because you can somehow, with an additional download, access something called "XP Mode," which allows you to run older programs that won't run on Vista or W7.

For me, this has been an absolutely worthwhile upgrade from Vista. BTW, Firefox works flawlessly with W7. I do, however, have the same camera incompatibility issue that I had with Vista, so I still have to use a SD card adapter to use my old Pentax Optio S4. Not sure why they couldn't fix that, but maybe, in the future, they will. I guess, Pentax should do something about that, but I think the camera is so old that they don't want to throw money into writing drivers for what many might consider to be an obsolete camera (it's only 4 megapixels, but it still tastes great photos.)

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wont have a choice soon ! Move onto 7 or be left behind .

Currently triple boot / 2000 / XP / Vista

Will most likely add Mandriva 2009 shortly to Quad boot !

Windows 7 - I used the Beta , and Im going to hold off as long as I can .
Microflop needs to bring out Service pack 4 for XP so we can continue to use it with new hardware ..

Vista / 7 = Just bloated crappy versions of XP !

Also need Service pack 6 for 2000 ...

paxxus

Enlightened
From what I have seen the XP to 7 route will at a minimum wipe your data and applications...
Wow, if that's the minimum I wonder what the more normal scenario is, melt your PC? Set fire to your house? Electrocute your pet?

Anyway, I'm one of the few people for whom Vista works fine. I have never seen a blue screen (don't actually know if Vista has the blue screen like XP) and everything seems quite snappy. I can run CPU intensive simulations (work related) while browsing the net etc. and it works very well. I have a 2.7GHz Dual Core PC with 2GB of RAM - nothing special really. I can even run games quite smoothly (I sometimes play [PROTOTYPE] with all the graphics maxed out).

The XP on my office computer the other hand, slow as hell, occasional blue screens, frequent IE crashes, and these little boxes with an OK button popping up all the time anoucing some sort of problem with whatever. It was the same story with my previous XP computer at my previous work.

Edit: In all fairness, the Vista boot is a little on the slow side though (36 secs from power-on until desktop last time I measured it). Ultimately I'd like to use Linux but I've had driver problems the couple of times I tried it.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested to know how BF1942 works out. I play it from time to time when I get bored of newer games, but I can't get custom resolutions to work properly in vista, so I am limited to 1280 x 960 on my 1920 x 1200 24" monitor...

It works great except for if I try running the "Secret Weapons" expansion. If I launch "Road to Rome" it's just fine. (The problem with Secret Weapons is that once I move the mouse outside the confines of the "Profile" window, it crashes to the desktop. Since my current favorite server is Midway 24/7, it's not a big deal.)

I'm running it at 1280x960, 32bit color, 60Hz refresh rate-- and all the detail and whatnot cranked up (GTX285 handles it great).

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
It takes right at 60 seconds to boot up. And no cheating here. lets be fair. When you turn on your computer is when the timer starts, not once the bios has posted and it starts the boot process. Powering your computer on is part of the start up so it needs to be timed too. When I first installed Vista my boot times were 60 seconds as they still are. (not including when updates are applied, this is definitely slow on Vista)

Windows 7 has a 30 second delay on boot to allow for multiple OS to be used. I set the delay to 3 seconds to speed up the boot. I don't know if it helps, but I also set the number of processors to 2 (I have a dual core system) as well:

Start -> msconfig -> boot tab
Timeout: 3 seconds (30 seconds is default)
Advanced Options:
check Number of processors, change to 2 (or how many cores you have)
Apply

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Windows 7 has a 30 second delay on boot to allow for multiple OS to be used. I set the delay to 3 seconds to speed up the boot. I don't know if it helps, but I also set the number of processors to 2 (I have a dual core system) as well:

Start -> msconfig -> boot tab
Timeout: 3 seconds (30 seconds is default)
Advanced Options:
check Number of processors, change to 2 (or how many cores you have)
Apply
I just went to msconfig and WOW, what a change! It actually looks user friendly and although I'm sure it's still wise to use caution, what a big improvement!

The more I use Windows 7, the more I wish they'd come out with this 5 years ago!

Latest posts