Windows 7 are you moving?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm planning on going to Windows 7 soon, either through an upgrade from Vista on my Core2 Duo notebook, or with a new equivalent computer. What is the criteria for deciding whether to go 32 or 64, and are there noticeable benefits?

da.gee

Enlightened
Main advantage is the amount of RAM system can address in a 64 bit system. 32bit OS maxes at about 4gb of RAM (really more like 3gb with I/O reservations factored in). The limit on Win7-64 is 192GB up from 128gb on Vista64. Also 64-bit handles memory more efficiently making responsiveness greater when running several programs and switching between them. There are also some security advantages with the 64 bit version also (mandatory driver signing, hardware-backed DEP, Kernel Patch Protection).

Unless you are limping along with legacy or odd hardware (lacking 64 bit drivers) there is no good reason to use the 32 bit version I can determine if you have a 64 bit chip in your box. I read retail versions of Win7 will include both 32 and 64 bit but haven't got mine yet so can't confirm.

I will be testing it first on a newer laptop before I move it to my business machine. It sounds very promising.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Main advantage is the amount of RAM system can address in a 64 bit system. 32bit OS maxes at about 4gb of RAM (really more like 3gb with I/O reservations factored in). The limit on Win7-64 is 192GB up from 128gb on Vista64. Also 64-bit handles memory more efficiently making responsiveness greater when running several programs and switching between them. There are also some security advantages with the 64 bit version also (mandatory driver signing, hardware-backed DEP, Kernel Patch Protection).

Unless you are limping along with legacy or odd hardware (lacking 64 bit drivers) there is no good reason to use the 32 bit version I can determine if you have a 64 bit chip in your box. I read retail versions of Win7 will include both 32 and 64 bit but haven't got mine yet so can't confirm.

I will be testing it first on a newer laptop before I move it to my business machine. It sounds very promising.
I've got my RAM maxed at 4gb and the Vista Ultimate upgrade came with both 32 and 64 so I'm assuming Windows 7 Ultimate would as well. Wish I didn't have to buy Ultimate to change languages but I am very much looking forward to saying goodbye to Vista.

Looks like whichever choice I make I'll be going 64 bit! :)

da.gee

Enlightened
Additionally, I suppose there could be software concerns for some. I know I am a bit anxious about a couple my Adobe products which I rely on for work. I'm hoping success in Vista64 translates over. I'm trying to resist totally wiping the hard drive and installing from scratch rather than upgrading over Vista64. Tough being OCD about these things.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Additionally, I suppose there could be software concerns for some. I know I am a bit anxious about a couple my Adobe products which I rely on for work. I'm hoping success in Vista64 translates over. I'm trying to resist totally wiping the hard drive and installing from scratch rather than upgrading over Vista64. Tough being OCD about these things.

For a critical operation like work related aspects, perhaps it is worth starting with a fresh hard drive for the install. They aren't that expensive and a new, faster, bigger one is always a benefit, not to mention that hard drives do have a lifetime to them. That way you can keep everything on the old drive "just in case". That is my plan for the OS upgrade.

The part I am still considering is if I should first off load the files to a USB external drive, or rely on my back up for file re-installation.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a critical operation like work related aspects, perhaps it is worth starting with a fresh hard drive for the install. They aren't that expensive and a new, faster, bigger one is always a benefit, not to mention that hard drives do have a lifetime to them. That way you can keep everything on the old drive "just in case". That is my plan for the OS upgrade.

The part I am still considering is if I should first off load the files to a USB external drive, or rely on my back up for file re-installation.

That's a good suggestion. That's what I did when I moved to Windows 7 on my Thinkpad.

It might not work out so well for the gentleman with the 12 Drive RAID array though. :D

da.gee

Enlightened
That will probably be my strategy. Buy a new drive and install clean from there. HDs pretty reasonably priced these days. Gets you another backup drive as well.

DimmerD

Enlightened
That's why I am popping a new hard drive for 7, they are cheap nowadays and I don't have to worry about losing anything. Will just unplug my Vista 64 drive while 7 loads, that way I don't have to worry about Windows messing anything up. I was leary of going 64 bit but everything runs in 32 bit if it can't do 64. I always thought with 64 bit you had to have all 64 bit applications, but it isn't the case.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
That's why I am popping a new hard drive for 7, they are cheap nowadays and I don't have to worry about losing anything. Will just unplug my Vista 64 drive while 7 loads, that way I don't have to worry about Windows messing anything up.
I got a 500gb drive last year after getting my new notebook and now that I'm thinking of selling it I can just drop the 120gb back in!
I was leary of going 64 bit but everything runs in 32 bit if it can't do 64. I always thought with 64 bit you had to have all 64 bit applications, but it isn't the case.
That was my exact concern and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burger King Japan unveils 7-patty burger to promote Windows 7

http://www.everydaymoney.ca/2009/10...-seven-patty-burger-in-lieu-of-windows-7.html

Burger King Japan has hopped on board and is now offering a SEVEN PATTY WHOPPER (!) as of yesterday, at a cost of 777 yen to the first 30 customers. (The regular price will jump to about 1,450 yen – or around $16 – after, according to Japanator.com.)

I know what you're thinking, and so was I. Here are the burger's specs:

-5.1 inches tall
-1.7 pounds
-2,120 calories

All the more reason. :D

BVH

Flashaholic
Made the jump this morning. Only issue is that I use MS Office XP/2002. I created an Outlook .pst backup file before I did a new load of win7 Pro. Upon re-installation of Office 2002 and an attempt to import the .PST file, I was informed that it is not compatible with Personal services Folders System. Keep in mind I made the bak file with 2002 and was trying to restore it using the same program. After 2.5 hours and 4 techs, it was solved. Had to temporarily load a trial version of Outlook 2007, import the 2002 .PST bak file (successfully) downsave as Outlook 97-2002 compatible, save it, unload Outlook 2007, re-load 2002, import and voila, success. Been poking around and it looks ok to me so far. My main reason to upgrade was that Vista Ultimate was just too bloated and giving me freeze problems and was taking forever to boot. I regularly run MSCONFIG/Startup to de-activate non-needed programs from starting on boot. But it was still taking about 3-4 minutes to boot and settle down.

Even though I needed a new load, as opposed to upgrading existing system, I would have been out of luck it I did want to upgrade because I was trying to upgrade the "ultimate" version of Windows Vista with a lesser grade Win7 Professional. It will not allow the upgrade process, only a fresh load.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit upgrade edition last evening (Dual boot with WinXP32 Pro). I had a lot of issues with my Raid 0 across 4 disk setup. I finally reverted to the Intel embedded controller (ICH10R) in a four disk Raid 10 setup and everything seems normal now. The Windows 7 install DVD is 3GB and they must be using the magical Microsoft compression algorithm as it installed approximately 30GB of data :shakehead when all was finished including a fresh install of Kapersky 2010 anti-virus. I have not installed any application yet except Kapersky anti-virus. The system is using about 1.6GB of memory at idle.

Windows experience index
Processor.......... 7.4
Memory..............7.8
Graphics.............7.7
Gaming Graphics...7.7
Primary hard disk..7.7

7.4 determined by lowest score.
Geekbench score 8572

Frank

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a second, microsoft's completely arbitrary scale goes up to 7.9 now? Does anyone have any idea why they choose such random numbers?

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a second, microsoft's completely arbitrary scale goes up to 7.9 now? Does anyone have any idea why they choose such random numbers?
Per wiki

"The Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSAT) is a module of Microsoft Windows Vista & Windows 7 which measures various performance characteristics and capabilities of the hardware it is running on and reports them as a Windows Experience Index (WEI) score, a number between 1.0 and 5.9 for Windows Vista and between 1.0 and 7.9 for Windows 7. The WEI is due to increase its maximum score with future updates. The WEI includes five subscores: processor, memory, 2D graphics, 3D graphics, and disk; the basescore is equal to the lowest of the subscores.
The WEI allows users to match their computer hardware performance with the performance requirements of software. For example, the Aero graphical user interface recommends a WEI score of 3 or higher for satisfactory use of the "Aero Glass" feature. The WEI can also be used to show which part of a system would be expected to provide the greatest increase in performance when upgraded. For example a computer with the lowest subscore being its memory, would benefit more from a RAM increase than adding a faster hard drive (or any other component).
Microsoft intends that software publishers list WEI scores to specify hardware requirements instead of specific technical parameters (such as "256MB of RAM or more"). Microsoft also intends that hardware manufacturers publish the WEI scores of their computers. However, very few software or hardware vendors have done so to date.
The WEI is also available to applications through an API, so they can configure themselves as a function of hardware performance, taking advantage of its capabilities without becoming unacceptably slow."

Frank

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Going from Windows XP to Windows 7 entails a complete reformat/reconfiguration of a PC, if in fact, the PC has the hardware qualifications required.

Actually, installing Win7 does NOT require a reformat when upgrading from XP.

However, it's true that you can't do an in-place upgrade like in previous versions. But when you upgrade from XP, it will leave everything from your Windows, Program Files, and Documents and Settings folders in a folder called "Windows.old". From there, you'll need to reinstall all of your applications, but your data won't go anywhere.

Ditto:
But yeah, I agree. The first month after moving it's all "wtf, where is everything".
However, when you get used to it, you will be glad that you moved, cause it is really good ^^

Yeah, once you figure out where things have been moved to, it works very well. Many things are accessed in fewer clicks than before. And the new taskbar is freakin' AWESOME!

I have been running Vista X64 Ultimate for over a year now, no slow downs here. I am an above average user and have tons of stuff installed including games and haven't noticed any slowdowns. As a matter of fact according to Windows my current speed rating actually went up from 4.9 to 5.9 over this year just by updating drivers. My guess is you are a bit shy on RAM. 2 Gigs should be the bare minimum for Vista, it will use all of it too.

Oh yeah I going to 7 X64 too, just need to pop in a fresh hard drive to install it on!

Vista and Win7 definitely like RAM. And with RAM being so inexpensive these days, 4gb is where it's at.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody yet restored copied saved XP Firefox and/or Thunderbird profiles to a win7 install? Once Firefox and Thunderbird are installed in win7, is the mannerism and storage location of the profiles the same so you can simply copy your saved XP profiles to the new location? I don't want to lose my email or bookmarks.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I went ahead and got a new computer last night and did the Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade, then changed languages to English and it was much, much easier than making the Vista Ultimate upgrade last year was.

A fast internet connection was a big help but even though all the dialog that came up was in Japanese, it was much easier to work my way through than last year when I pretty much just watched my friend do it for me.

The main frustration I have so far is the missing Quick Lauch popup menu; I'm still looking for it as I type...

Okay, I just found it, but it seems pretty awkward to use right now. I'll have to spend some more time with it.

Last edited: