World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

PayBack

Enlightened
As pics here don't seem to show up at work (where I am now), I looked at the DEFT on their site. Damn that head looks HUGE!

I'm after a bright thower to take on a police "ride along" but that wouldn't fit in my jacket pocket would it?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
As pics here don't seem to show up at work (where I am now), I looked at the DEFT on their site. Damn that head looks HUGE!

I'm after a bright thower to take on a police "ride along" but that wouldn't fit in my jacket pocket would it?
The pictures on my site are really old and not done very well. It is no EDC to be sure but I know of several people who have mentioned carrying it in a jacket pocket. I don't think it is as big as that picture on my site makes it look. Maybe some current owners would like to chime in here.

Joe_torch

Newly Enlightened

It is not huge! Just like a SF M6 with a bigger head & thinner body.

I think it would fit your jacket unless the jacket is very tight fit.

I haven't put mine in the jacket pocket because I don't to get it scratched.

Hope this help.

Joe

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
It is not huge! Just like a SF M6 with a bigger head & thinner body.
I think it would fit your jacket unless the jacket is very tight fit.
I haven't put mine in the jacket pocket because I don't to get it scratched.
Hope this helps.
Joe

For its size and throw, I've seen no equal [or close rival]...and though It's no mini-mag, I've carried mine in my back pocket and in my coat. It might even fit in a mag lite D-cell ring, but I would be carefull that it didn't fall out since the handle isn't very long.

Last edited:

PayBack

Enlightened
Thanks.. one last thing, is there somewhere I could see some beamshots? Now I know you're going to say, you idiot, this thread is full of them, but certain pic hosting sites are blocked here at work :(

Worst case I'll wait till I get home, but that's hours, and I'm a flashaholic so....

notsofast

Enlightened
I am really enjoying my light, it impresses all that see its abilities.

I have yet to read the lumen output. Any estimates on the lumen number?

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.. one last thing, is there somewhere I could see some beamshots? Now I know you're going to say, you idiot, this thread is full of them, but certain pic hosting sites are blocked here at work :(
Worst case I'll wait till I get home, but that's hours, and I'm a flashaholic so....

Sorry PayBack; you may just have to browse the first page and the enthusiast thread and corresponding reviews from Lux and Patriot when you get home...waiting is part of the exquisite agony of flashaholism. ;)

I am really enjoying my light, it impresses all that see its abilities.
I have yet to read the lumen output. Any estimates on the lumen number?

I think Michael mentioned the estimated output was around 350 lumens...the spectacular number for the DEFT is the throw estimate measured in lux. I'll try to post it if I find it again...

Last edited:

Hammer Train

Banned
I think Michael mentioned the estimated output was around 350 lumens...the spectacular number for the DEFT is the throw estimate measured in lux. I'll try to post it if I find it again...

In this thread, 157,000lux @1m is mentioned :eek:

Oh, and my light arrived today. First impression was that the light still retains its charm despite the 'FTP' suffix, however I do miss the carbon bezel from the enthusiast models. Second impression blew away all of my cares that the bezel wasn't quite as pretty as the carbon one - this light actually seems to throw further to my eye than all 3 of the enthusiast models that passed through my hands over the past few months!
I also LOVE the retaining ring that is used to secure the additional optic - I tried using an enthusiast without this ring as a flood light on a walk over rough terrain in pitch black and lost the additional optic as it was unsecured. Being able to use this as a flood light if I really need to knowing that the optic is held securely in place is a bonus for me.
If you haven't seen one of these in the flesh before then all I can say is keep watching this thread and pick one up as a priority - if you've used any sort of aspheric mag, dbs, a19 (etc) before then as the saying goes 'YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!'.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I figured out how to add and delete some stuff from my website for the first time. Someone else made the site for me. I added a couple pictures and will try and get more up soon. I just took a new round of long distance shots to show what the DEFT FTP can do. Will get it up as soon as I can.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this thread, 157,000lux @1m is mentioned :eek:

Oh, and my light arrived today. First impression was that the light still retains its charm despite the 'FTP' suffix, however I do miss the carbon bezel from the enthusiast models. Second impression blew away all of my cares that the bezel wasn't quite as pretty as the carbon one - this light actually seems to throw further to my eye than all 3 of the enthusiast models that passed through my hands over the past few months!
I also LOVE the retaining ring that is used to secure the additional optic - I tried using an enthusiast without this ring as a flood light on a walk over rough terrain in pitch black and lost the additional optic as it was unsecured. Being able to use this as a flood light if I really need to knowing that the optic is held securely in place is a bonus for me.
If you haven't seen one of these in the flesh before then all I can say is keep watching this thread and pick one up as a priority - if you've used any sort of aspheric mag, dbs, a19 (etc) before then as the saying goes 'YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!'.

I somehow missed your post HT. Just as a point of clarification the lock ring holds the main lens in not the pre-collimator. It is still a press fit and could be lost if banged real hard in the right way. I will explore ways to secure that in place. I need this kind of feedback to help improve the product. Thanks.

I agree on the priority part. I know I have a vested interest in all this but in my opinion the DEFT is a flashaholic's must have. So many people here on CPF judge aspherics based on the other aspherics they have come across. The thing is this light is just so far above all the others it's not even funny. It is important to remember that although I make money off these I am first and foremost a flashaholic. In the two years that I have been playing with this light it still never ceases to amaze me. Glad you are enjoying yours.:thumbsup: That's what it's all about.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Distance to trees 435'/132 meters
PICT0267.jpg

What are the 3 lights pictured from left to right?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the 3 lights pictured from left to right?
I should really take that picture down as it no longer has any significance to the current product. From left to right is R2 WH high output, Q5 WC, Q3 3A with a defective driver. When I posted that it was all I had as I needed to go out and get some new shots but wanted something to show people the different tints.

This picture is the one that now has more significance. The standard DEFT FTP would be the one in the middle of this shot.

Distance to trees 435'/132 meters
PICT0320.jpg

flilow06

Newly Enlightened
We are working on the next batch. After that it is my hope to be able to take orders as they come. All orders are received via email. Use the contact page of my web site.

Wow, these are cool!

Does the inactive "order page" correctly reflect options we may be able to choose from when you begin taking orders? ie. carbon fiber bezel will be available?

Thanks!