World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way I heard of describing why you can't collimate an LED with a larger die size as well as that of a smaller die was to describe it like entrophy, there's a set maximum that you can collimate it, and that's ultimately dependent on the die size. For more technical reading, wikipedia has a useful article on etendue.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very interesting.

Or is the SST-90 just not as bright and will never throw as far as the current emmitter?
Exactly. The best focus you can get is when the Emitter is "in focus". An aspheric is basically a projector, and you see an image of the emitter on whatever you shine it on. So if you see a big 'ol SST-90, it will be a bigger image than a small R2. But the R2 is much brighter than an SST-50 or 90.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the R2 is much brighter than an SST-50 or 90.

Close... the XR-E R2 has a higher surface brightness than the SST-50 or 90 (lumens/mm^2 of die area), but the SST-50/90 is capable of being brighter (lumens).

Last edited:

MTL-TL

Newly Enlightened
Hi michael

I got no email notification on this one. :( :mecry:I thought I was on the list. Can you please put me up for the next one :wave: :thanks:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the approximate runtime on the flashlight?

1:30-2:30 depending on battery type. I know I need to get the official runtimes up.

But if an emmitter produces a larger beam with less throw, wouldn't that indicate a focasing issue? That is undetstandable if the DEFT was focally designed to take full advantage of one particular emmitter design.....

So, correct me if I am wrong, but if a more powerfull emmitter was to be used, say a big 'ol SST-90, the optics would have to be completely redesigned to optimise the emmitter? Or is the SST-90 just not as bright and will never throw as far as the current emmitter?

I get paid at the end of next week..........:grin2::devil:

Thinking I have no buisness calling myself even an amature flashaholic and NOT owning one of these. Thanks for doing the FTP!
"But if an emmitter produces a larger beam with less throw, wouldn't that indicate a focasing issue?"
No. It has nothing to do with the focus.

The optics do not need a complete redesign with an emitter change. Tweaks maybe. I am working on a thread to help everyone understand how throw and collimation all works but know this one basic fact. If there was an LED that would throw farther than the XR-E I would be using it.

Hi michael

I got no email notification on this one. :( :mecry:I thought I was on the list. Can you please put me up for the next one :wave: :thanks:
:eek:OOOPS!:eek: Sorry about that. I added you on. Makes me wonder who else I missed.

D

Deleted member 97529

To me that picture looks like the L35 is more intense. Notice how the vertical lines disappear with the L35 but not the DEFT?

That's strange... :thinking: I have asked several people and all of them said the DEFT appeared to be brighter. Maybe flashaholics have developed more accurate eyes :eek: against beamshots, and I have yet to learn that. ;)

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
That's strange... :thinking: I have asked several people and all of them said the DEFT appeared to be brighter. Maybe flashaholics have developed more accurate eyes :eek: against beamshots, and I have yet to learn that. ;)

It does appear brighter, but this is due partially to the color temp of the beams and how sharp the DEFT's hotspot is compared to the L35 with its considerable spill. But, as Michael said, the details of the wall fade away in the center of the L35's beam---much moreso than in the DEFT's beam.

cnw4002

Newly Enlightened
I don't know much about lights but if the color of the line across the beamshots is the same color as the output of the light the line will disappear if slightly different it will make the line standout. So it depends on the color output of the light how the line will show up or not. Make one light red and the other white and put a red line across and see which appears brighter then.

cnw4002

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to ask if I can use rechargeable batteries in the new light when it gets here? I know some lights cannot use the rechargeable batteries. I do not want to damage an expensive light.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh come on...it's an optical illusion or limitations of the camera. Notice the DEFT appears to be dimmer just within the other lights spot, and then looks brighter starting outside the edge of the spot? Does the DEFT light get "afraid" when it gets covered by another lights hot spot?

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
Firstly, rechargeable AA cells are fine. They actually put out 1.2v compared to 1.5v from single-use cells. Many of us use duraloops or eneloops to take advantage of the Low Self Discharge feature. PM me for details and links or search CPF and the marketplace. I usually expect to pay about $2 each for these cells when I can find them online; I've heard of better deals, but haven't chanced upon them yet.

Now, about the beamshots that alvinyhwong posted and have been commented upon by several: Let's remember that although the DEFT is a great light, there are other models with much higher output... Have you seen the L35? [Also some beamshots here...] It is huge, as are most HID spotlights. Comparatively, I can put the DEFT in my coat pocket if I need both hands or if I need to periodically store it---a feat that could never be accomplished with a pseudo-portable ball&chain HID setup. I can carry several sets of spare batteries for my DEFT easily, also; another deal breaker against monster lights. And lastly, I can stand to hold a DEFT for hours and travel easily with it...something that is not possible when wearing a backpack for extra batteries and lugging a 15lb light around...

Of course an L35 puts out more light with a brighter spot than the DEFT...so do Maxabeams, Barnburners and Polarions, [just check out the great reviews by Lux and Patriot] but HIDs are less portable and cost magnitudes more to acquire and operate. Keep in mind that HIDs still use bulbs...bulbs that will last a thousand hours or so under good conditions, but that cost A LOT to replace. I replaced the bulb in my 10w WolfEyes for about $65 recently, and it's beam still looks like it came from a toy compared to my DEFT.

In my opinion, the best part about these points is that practically no one except a fellow flashaholic would have any HID handheld, let alone one of the $2,000 models capable of out-throwing my DEFT :naughty:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
By my calculations the L35 takes 12-13 seconds before it reaches the DEFT in Lux. I rarely use my throwers for that much time. Usually turn it on, look around and off again. In the end the L35 makes about 47% more lux than the DEFT (after a 30 second warm-up). Which would appear to the eye to be 21%(??) Brighter. The DEFT seems to me a hell of a package.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 97529

:oops: I was not saying that the L35 is better; I was just comparing. ;) Otherwise I would not have bought a DEFT FTP. :laughing:

meister

Newly Enlightened
I just sent an order request for the FTP to your contact page. I'm really looking forward to getting this light. I was (and still am) excited about getting my Tiablo A9 and Aspherical lens but if the comparisons i've read on CPF are even close to accurate then I think I'm in for a treat!:grin2:

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
just recieved my deft ftp. I Think OMG x10 desrcibes it best. THANKS MICHAEL For a stunning light. Nobody will be dissapointed with this thr:)ower

meister

Newly Enlightened
Well it only took a couple of days but this nubee finally realized he had not followed the correct method in which to order a new Deft. I think I managed to get the developer an email tonight and hopefully I will be on his "nice" list. Can't wait.

Latest posts