Would You still Buy an Arc AAA Today?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arc-AAA GS - still a classic? Worth buying or should I be happy my E01?

I've been EDCing the E01 on keys for a few months (it's a back up to P1D Q5):devil: next to my ARC UV AAA. The E01 is wider than the ARC.

If you can afford 3x the $$$, and less runtime, the ARC AAA still makes sense, because of it's pedigree and feel. It is worth owning.
ARC also backs their product, as does 4 Sevens/ Fenix-Store.

Pride and tradition at 2 different price points, how cool!!:D
buy the ARC, hopefully :) you still should have $15 for the E01

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always EDC an ARC - AAA ( amongst many others, my pockets are getting tired!! ). But this thread has made me question that.

I've had an E01 ( I loove Goooooollllllld! ) for a few days now and its great. Small, light, bright, long running, great beam for most things, not tried cycling with it yet but I'm not that far gone yet ( only a matter of time ) and above all, cheap.

It does feel less solid and strong as the ARC, though the knurling is about the same. It has more straight edges than the ARC so there will be more wearing away of the annodising per se. More angles to flex the coating off etc. Also the twisty is much more easy to turn on, not necessarily a good thing. I have een keeping the E01 in my back jeans pocket on its own, and twice in two days has it been switched on when I have got it out, I guess only by the friction in my pocket. Which has caused me to unscrew the head a little more than I have to with most twisties. I have no doubt the ARC would not have this problem as it's head is harder to turn on.

I only have CS ARC AAA-P's at the moment ( at least in white) and the E01 is appreciably brighter and whiter overall. I think if I were to go camping I would take an E01 over the ARC.

Which is better? Six of one....we all have our own opinions. I'll carry on EDCing both until something else bright and shiny replaces them.

2741176622_c585c4bc76.jpg

Hope they come out with different colour LEDs soon though. Or any modders out there give it a go yet??

Be lucky...

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

In my mind, the Arc AAA and the Fenix E01 are more or less the same lights. The Arc wins for build, quality of anodizing, brightness and its position as a classic in the minds of many, if not most CPF members; the Fenix wins for longer runtime and a much lower price.

I own an old Arc AAA Standard and although I like it for toughness, it's now lost its place on my keyring to a Fenix L0D CE Q4. At its lowest output, it runs for 8.5 hours at 11 lumens PLUS, and this is a big plus, it also has lots of throw: 75 lumens for an hour. In my mind, it's the big winner. Think of it as being a combination of an Arc AAA and an Arc LS, but brighter than the LS, running on a measly AAA cell.

So, to answer the question: "Arc-AAA GS - still a classic?" - yes, but it's now in a seniors' home.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

In another thread, a person dropped both the Arc AAA and the E01 from 5 stories. The E01 survived nearly unscathed. The Arc AAA didn't work upon impact and had to be readjusted to work.

"Tank like" feel may not directly translate into real world toughness / reliability.

YMMV.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

In another thread, a person dropped both the Arc AAA and the E01 from 5 stories. The E01 survived nearly unscathed. The Arc AAA didn't work upon impact and had to be readjusted to work.

"Tank like" feel may not directly translate into real world toughness / reliability.

YMMV.
It was due to a crushed battery, the light was fine.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was due to a crushed battery, the light was fine.
Exactly. A tough light should protect the battery. What good is a light if it lets the battery get crushed?

A light that is reliable needs to protect everything that makes it run.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Exactly. A tough light should protect the battery. What good is a light if it lets the battery get crushed?

A light that is reliable needs to protect everything that makes it run.
If you really want to go down that road, you need to get ten of each and drop them repeatly and monitor how they were landed each time. It was only one drop and is not enough to make any sort of meaningful conclusion, and for all we know arc was dropped on its tail and crushed the battery, while fenix didn't.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

If I wanted an AAA-based light I would not buy an Arc again ... for the simple fact that they are way overdriven which abuses the LED and reduces runtime.
As for the build quality ... I don't know. Electronics and switching mechanism are included in that category, and I am not knowledgeable ebough to know which of the two is better.

That said ... I have a few of the Fenix lights for me and as gifts ... they are a very good value for the money ... and orange is just gorgeous :D :D

bernie

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, the ARC "crushed battery syndrome" was known about WELL before this. It is 1 of the reasons that the Fenix E01 has REPLACED my ARC's (6 of them) on my keyring, in my B.O.B.'s, etc..

I like to use the L92's in an AAA light, but never felt "comfortable" using them in the ARC's, due to their CBS (crushed battery syndrome). That, along with run time, "sealed the deal" for me. Hello my flashlight box for my ARC's.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have L92 in my arc, the negative contact is dented with no adverse effect. But I don't really use it since it's my last ditch back up light.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heavy sigh.
If Bernie likes the Fenix, I guess I'm off to buy one. I've had an Arc in my pocket since shorty after I jioned CPF.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Hey Mr. Sunspot :wave:

I don't like the Fenix.
But I prefer it to the Arc.
I'd like something with a better overall quality. But as I am not so much into AAA lights anyway, it doesn't matter. And the Fenix is a really nice gift.

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Hey ... you got those pics quite some time ago. Memory leak? :poke:

Pinkdisc02.jpg

Pinkdisc01.jpg

Sorry for the Off-Topic, but the Punk seduced me to it. I plead not guilty.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you really want to go down that road, you need to get ten of each and drop them repeatly and monitor how they were landed each time. It was only one drop and is not enough to make any sort of meaningful conclusion, and for all we know arc was dropped on its tail and crushed the battery, while fenix didn't.
Would love to see torture test like that with all lights if someone cares to provide their lights for this (not me! I love my lights and can't afford to lose them like that).

Since we don't have that just yet, we have to go with what we know so far, which is based on a single test, the E01 fared better.

dmonay

Newly Enlightened

I've been looking at the Streamlight Micro Stream 1-aaa light as a pocket light. Yes I know it's bigger than the arc.
Any body have one, and how does it compare to the arc. I have an arc camo 5.5 lumen light and I like it a lot. I can't even tell if its in my pocket it's so small and light.
It's great for around the house or to light up a small area.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like the Fenix.
But I prefer it to the Arc
To late. The buy bug has bit me.:paypal:

Now to figure out the difference between the Fenix T1 and TK10. And I need to look into the Nitecore D10.:mecry:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

To late. The buy bug has bit me.:paypal:

Now to figure out the difference between the Fenix T1 and TK10. And I need to look into the Nitecore D10.:mecry:

Wait until the surefire bug bites - OUTCH!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

bullfrog. To late. I already have six SF's.:twothumbs