XTAR VP2 - Does it have Overcharge protection?

ike1985

Enlightened
Does the Xtar VP2 have overcharge protection? For example, you leave a cell charging @ .25 overnight, will it continue charging past 4.2V possibly damaging the cell?

ven

Flashaholic
It does,how do i know..............:ohgeez:on now 2 occasions i have forgot to remove the cells before going bed to awake to 2 cells at 4.2v

Would not recommend as anything can fail,but yes it does:)

zebraa

Newly Enlightened
What you are looking for is a charger that properly terminates, with a correct charge voltage. The VP2 is exactly what you are looking for.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should be in the electronics and batteries forum. Go there and check the reviews of the vp2. Its a great charger.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Xtar VP2 have overcharge protection? For example, you leave a cell charging @ .25 overnight, will it continue charging past 4.2V possibly damaging the cell?

Not really. It is possible to overcharge a battery if you have the voltage switch at the wrong setting for the battery.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does,how do i know..............:ohgeez:on now 2 occasions i have forgot to remove the cells before going bed to awake to 2 cells at 4.2v …………………..

As I understand it from HKJ's test, we cannot fully trust the voltage reading. The true voltage may be higher. HKJ wrote "The voltmeter can show voltages from 0.01 volt to above 4.35 volt, but will freeze the reading, when it is above selected charge voltage and not resume updating, before voltage is below again."

SureAddicted

Enlightened

Why would you want to do this? What will doing this accomplish?
When the battery is full, it won't get fuller by letting it charge overnight, you will do more damage than good.
The risk of fire is very real, why do you think nitecore makes chargers from fire retardant materials?
Don't leave Li Ion batters on the charger longer than they have to be.