Yet another sniper shooting...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I tend to think the Shell Casing/Tarot Card thing was an anamoly.

I think it is a team of at least two, and both shoot. It would explain things like a gut shot at fairly close distant.

The van always leaving a scene may have NOTHING other than being a common thing, ie: he may wait until a van is leaving to shoot?

Of course a CopyCat is always possible....

You know, I have everything I need to be this guy. Well, except a high powered .22, or a variety of vehicles, or the mind set to actually snipe an innocent person!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in Virginia. I used to work just a couple of miles from where the fellow here was shot. Our favorite restaurant is just 2 or 3 blocks from the gas station where the 2 non-terrorists were arrested.

So yes, I'm concerned.

I'm so glad that the congress signed away my civil rights so quickly. The new police super powers are really helping the police protect us from terrorists...

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Here is a theory, perhaps these snipers or maybe it is a solo gunman is using storm drains to gain ingress and egress, and also with a possible occasional trek by vehicle.The spotter may be leaving just to draw attention away from the shooter, he could be unarmed and may look like another tradesman. Also there was heavy rain during the shooting lull last week, this is something I just heard about.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Latest News:

Yesterday's shooting has now been positively identified as being from the sniper.

Apparently, he wants $2 million transfered electronically to an oversees bank, and the police are actually considering his demands. If we give into this extortion, we'll open up the way for more snipers to come along. His demands shouldn't even be considered.

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by James S:
I'm so glad that the congress signed away my civil rights so quickly. The new police super powers are really helping the police protect us from terrorists...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm guessing that statement was made with sarcasm? If it was, then I'd like to ask you what you feel should be done that isn't being done? How would you have anyone, let alone the police, deal with a situation like this? What civil rights have you lost? What is your solution if the current one isn't good enough for you?

If your statement wasn't made with sarcasm, then please ignore this post.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what people would prefer:
Stopping the sniper or prosecuting him.

Years ago San Francisco had a very similar occurrence with the "Zebra Killer" and the police basically declared martial law.
Peoples' rights were infringed.
Doors were bust down.
And the killer was caught.

Makes you wonder.

Greta

Flashaholic
Greg,

My point exactly! No one could pay me enough to do the job that those law enforcement officials are doing right now. Not only do they have to try to deal with a homocidal maniac, they have to listen to society's sniveling about civil rights and try avoid lawsuits.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sasha,

I suppose the text was written with an element of sarcasm. However, it was not meant to negatively reflect on the police. They are in an impossible position that none of us would want to be in.

However, I felt the need to put in a sting for the patriot act. The powers granted by it are sweeping, read it, you wont believe it. It sounds like I'm reading post apocalypse fiction. And it obviously does not give the police any new weapons against this kind of domestic terrorism. It was a feel good law for politicians allowing them to make disappear as many suspicious people as they like. I was questioning the value of that, not the value of our police which are doing the best job that they can do under the circumstances.

Declaring martial law is a very different situation. It's specifically limited in it's scope and usually in it's duration and is invoked only for a very specific purpose. You can count on one hand the number of times it's been used in this country I think. While people might grumble, at least they know exactly what it's for. I have no problem with the decision to use that to catch the "Zebra Killer" though there's no way to tell now without a lot of study and research how many innocent people's doors got knocked down before they found the fellow, they did find him and the martial law was revoked. The patriot act is open ended, is an ongoing change in police powers.

Thats all, no disrespect for the police. I am very impressed with the speed of their response to the recent shootings in closing down roads. I think it only took them 7 minutes to close 95 that day? Thats spectacular police work, even if they were not successful in grabbing him that time. If they can keep up that level of response, they will get him.

Thanks,
James

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an idea someone e-mailed to CNN. FREEZE. All radio stations are tuned in to the national weather sevice radio. When police are informed of a poosible shooting all radio stations break their normal music/sports/talk programs and anounce the freeze at which point all traffic must pull to the side (or enough to clear a way for emergancy traffic). As soon as the police have set up blocks in the area of the shooting the stations anounce that everyone to go on about their business. Every one is instructed to carry paper and pencil and to write down the liesens numbers of any cars that kept driving after the freeze was anounced. The police will check these out later. The idea of course is to trap the shooter/s...and those that that kept moving, that were in the area of the shooting, will have to explain why they were moving.

Makes good sense to me.

Ken

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by KenB:
The idea of course is to trap the shooter/s...and those that that kept moving, that were in the area of the shooting, will have to explain why they were moving.

Makes good sense to me.

Ken
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">"Oh I was late picking up little Billy from day care", "my boss told me I had to have this delivery there by 3pm", "well I wasn't doing anything wrong-I'm no sniper, why do I have to stop? this is an infringement of my rights!"

Probably what would happen is that half the people wouldn't stop but high tail it out of the area to avoid the inconvenience, thus tying up more man power in seeking them out/follow up on reported license tags/numbers.

There is alot more than we realize going on behind the scenes here, it will all come to light when this is over, until it happens again.

You see that's where my questions fall. Is this going to happen again? Someplace else? How often?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m sure yor right...a few folks will complain. But I would hope the safty of the masses would outway the importance of the individuals right to pick little Billy up on time...if this guy`s not stopped little Billy might end up dead.

And you have to pullover during a freeze because...let`s say...cause it`s a new law...if you don`t you get a fine.

Ken

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I really like that idea and would be happy to participate. It would be a little nerve racking on the highway to just stop as the folks behind you may not be listening to the radio!

If nothing else it would give the people who are desperate for something that they can do to help something to do! We really need to participate as there are a lot more of us wandering around than there are police.

-James

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well part of the plan would be for everyone to turn on thier emergancy blinkers...so any one without their radios on knows to turn thier radio on...and stop. It`s the law!

Ken

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back on topic: 2 Arrests made 3.5 hours after identities, vehicle description, AND Registration Plate number and State announced by Chief Moose! Place: rest stop on I70 in Maryland. Without Incident. Tip came from passing Motorist.

Do we now have the perps in custody?????? We will know soon enough.
wink.gif

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
This is going to look just like another McVeigh case whereas someone was sympathetic to the 9/11 terrorists. The person caught is said to be a converted Muslim.Very convoluted case of events from AL to WA,but there is more to surface soon, like was this guy tied into the muslim group arrested in Oregon last month.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Daniel Ramsey:
This is going to look just like another McVeigh case whereas someone was sympathetic to the 9/11 terrorists.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You know there was a big news story yesterday saying that new evidence is closely being looked at that ties Iraq directly to the Oklahoma bombings.
It all sounds very convenient and sort of "wag-the-dog"gy but I found it interesting.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the 41 year old earned the M-16 Marksmanship Expert Badge, while in Army. So, it seems that what I suspected, is indeed correct: he did have military training, though not sniper school (Sgt. US Army, Mechanic, Gulf War Vet.).

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's nothing to say that maybe they seek out sympathizers to carry out these acts, or entice them to. Logistically it would be easier for a notive to move around or conduct business that would be viewed as suspicious by a foreigner.