Yet another sniper shooting...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cripes Ron. That was everything I was thinking. You are totly right in all aspects. I have a headache right now and did not want to type so much. Thank you for doing it.

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Charles Gallo:

OK, Your going to make the usual argument about "Then you believe a person should be able to own Nukes" - Yep, they should! In reality, there is one guy controling our nukes. What makes him better than someone who could afford to buy one? If you can earn that kind of cash, why not?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hate to have to bring this back to Iraq, but... Isn't this exactly the situation that we're now facing today? Some countries are free to develop all kinds of nasty weaponary without any international inspections or oversight: See this article from the Gaurdian about Israel's repeated refusal to submit to UN weapons inspections.

I guess I just find it odd that a person could condone all manners of heinous mega-kill machines in the hands of ordinary citizens.

Does your philosophy extend to other countries citizens and governments, or just America(n)s?

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
Sasha -

I'm kind of at a loss to understand your reasons for asserting:
Then there is the ability to be ruthless. This is an area where women EXCEL!...I'm sure that all of you men can agree to that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Talk about a loaded statement! It not only makes a disparaging generalization about women, but it slurs men as well by its assumption that, of course, males share such a cynical view about females.

It is true that at certain times in particular situations women do tendto be more calculating and sober than men. A good example of this inclination is in romantic relationships. Contrary to popular opinion, women are more able to make realistic judgments about the soundness of a relationship, to see around the romantic and erotic euphoria and assess what advantages and disadvantages there are for them in the long term. There are exceptions, but it is men, by and large, who get swept up in tidal waves of passion, and throw caution (and their hearts) to the wind. How vulnerable we are to feminine charms, to a lovely face and pretty smile! Men are fools in this regard; women must laugh at us all the time.

However, men are also much more violent. This fact is supported by every statistic on violent crime there is. This very thread is about a heartless, vicious male killer. Almost every serial murderer there has ever been was a man. Women may be more cunning and calculating than men in some respects - especially relationships - but they are more nuturing, and much less physically aggressive. Blame our assualtive tendencies on testosterone.
wink.gif

Anyway, I just felt a need to defend the fairer sex. Sure, women are sometimes more manipulative. But that's a different matter from being "ruthless".

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sasha:
Ah well... guess I don't know what I'm talking about then. I'll leave all this "man-talk" to you men then.
icon3.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I thought your posts were great! I just didn`t want to admit it...not after being bashed around the board lately by my stupid veiw points...And I hate to admit when I`m wrong. Could be the US would be in a lot worse shape if guns were ban...many of the post including yours have made me change my mind. Or at least tone my veiw points down a bit.

And I think the concept this or future shooters could be gals was a VERY good point.

If these guys are a organized group...I hope our powers think of them more like Iraq agents than what we think of as terrorist. With the goal not really to spread terrorism but to move weapons of mass destruction around more easily. By getting some FBI or other inspectors away from our shipping ports (I really don`t know...maybe we have plenty of manpower to go around). Just in case we attack Iraq they could make us very unhappy at home....something Sodomy Insane would very much love to do.

Anyway...don`t stop posting in this thread Sasha!

Ken

Max

Enlightened
I'm personally more inclined to the "lone deranged lunatic" theory as opposed to the "operatives of a terrorist organization" theory.

I also think he's going to be caught soon.

MarcV

Enlightened
Originally posted by mekki:

Does your philosophy extend to other countries citizens and governments, or just America(n)s?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's more than a matter of philosophy, it is a matter of law in the US.

Yes, it extends to all people. Our law states that "all men are born with certain inalienable rights".

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw the latest offical update/press conferance...the fellow that said he saw a tan van/shooter/gun said he was lying...he was in the Home Depot at the time. Also the reporters asked every which way about the balistic test on the bullets. Turns out they can`t even confirm they are all from the same gun. The bullets are badly fragmented. Futher the only thing they can say or will say for sure is that all the bullets are in the 22 cal. family. Thats why they feel they are all related.

Anyone know how many bullets are in the 22 family...I know there are 22 shorts and 22 longs. I thought a 223 was a whole differant bullet...also now they are talking about 221`s. Whats the scoop on all these types.

What type of bullet breaks up so completly?

Ken

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bullets are fragmenting PROBABLY because they are "hunting" rounds- (hollow points, soft lead noses etc.) designed to "mushroom" (expand) and / or fragment, although a super high velocity bullet like out of a .220 Swift may break up even if it is a solid projectile.

Gosh, it has been a long time since I was up on this, but there are MANY .22 cal cartridges, I'm going to leave out the rimfire cartridges, because they are more easily identified....

Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that use between a .218 and .228 bullet:
.22 PPC
.223 Remington (5.56 NATO)
.222 Rem.
.222 Rem. Magnum
.22-250
.22 Jet
.220 Swift
.22 Hornet
.218 Bee
.221 Fireball
.22 BR
.224 Weatherby
.225 Winchester
.219 Wasp
.22 Newton
.228 Ackley
.228 Weatherby

There are literally dozens of others; some of the ones above and almost all of the others are pretty uncommon; either they are antique and not been manufactured for quite a while or more commonly are custom made, usually "handloaded" for custom made firearms, only one or a few dozen made by any one manufacturer or gunsmith, and mostly intended for "varmint" or sometimes target shooting.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by Silviron:
...snip.......

Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that use between a .218 and .228 bullet:
...snip...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually the list you provided ALL use bullets that are .224" in diameter! The names are different because some folks talk "Land to land" or "Land to Grove", or "Just because we need a unique name"

These truely are very different that the .22 RIMFIRE round - the barrel diameter is different!

In general, for Centerfire rounds, there are VERY few choices of bullet diameter

a list for rifles - some are quite rare, old, or for "Large" game (African Buffalo, etc)

.223 (22 rimfire and OLD .22 Hornet ONLY)
.243 (6 mm)
.264 (6.5 mm)
.284 (7mm)
.323 (8mm)
.311 (called .303)

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, good point on that Daniel- I had completely forgotten about them, and the saboted bullets could be loaded into ANYTHING of larger caliber. AND there would be no rifling marks unless the sabot itself was found.

I kind of doubt that that is what is being used, but it certainly is something for the investigators to consider.

guncollector

Enlightened
Has anyone heard if the investigating authorities have found any of the brass casings? I haven't heard...

Makes me wonder if this cowardly murderer(s) is using a brass catcher (on his semi-auto), or if he is using a bolt-action (and being careful to retain his brass).

More food for thought...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great point, I bet a bolt action...so he doesn`t have to focus on finding the shell casing. They hide the gun in a secret compartment in the car/van/truck (at this point do we even have any clue what type of vehicle). IF there are anymore shootings I will bet it`s on a weekend...just to confuss the pattern further. Maybe someone he thinks is a forgeiner. Maybe into a crowd from a longer than normal distance.

I still think they may stop...at least for a while. If they are "terrorist" they only need to kill at a slow rate now to keep thier game going...if it`s a sicko they probably will wait till the heat dies down a bit.

Ken

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Ken, most terrorists I've heard of are "sickos" anyway. -As in twisted. Maybe should be termed maladjusted asocial idiots. see: sociopath
icon8.gif

Max

Enlightened
Another good article today by David Gelernter on the Wall Street Journal opinion page: Reflections on the Washington sniper

It's not mentioned in the article, but David Gelernter was injured by Unabomber letter bomb, so you can imagine this sniper is something he personally can relate to.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go again. Now he shot a man in the stomach in Ashland, VA.
mad.gif
At least he wasn't killed (yet?).

I was hoping that the sniper would stop after killing 9 out of 11 people, and that this was some sort of sicko statement about 9/11. I guess I was wrong.
frown.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Here we go again. Now he shot a man in the stomach in Ashland, VA.
mad.gif
At least he wasn't killed (yet?).

I was hoping that the sniper would stop after killing 9 out of 11 people, and that this was some sort of sicko statement about 9/11. I guess I was wrong.
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The only good news (aside from the person not being killed), is that the probability of catching him/them is higher now.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could be a copy cat. One sicko act tends to bring out others...want their 15 minutes of shame.
If it is the same guy...he will likly have to start trying to hit two victoms at a time...to feed his power trip...this will be his demise.

Ken

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Its just another aspect that nobody is willing to accept, this is a terrorist team and not a "sicko", we are too quick to file and classify.

The BGs are employing military tactics now, a diversion of forces elsewhere so they can bactrack and strike again. And my assumption now is they may start using a larger more powerful cartridge, they want kills not wounded because because its not their goal.

NO DERANGED KILERS
NO CRAZY VETS

This is war and yet do I ever see anyone accepting that fact.

Latest posts