ZebraLight H502 XM-L

pobox1475

Enlightened
Someone needs to design a stick on lens to make a pure flood headlamp into a more focused model... maybe something akin to a fresnel lens
Petzl Tikka XP's have this feature.

It depends on a persons point of view, but if you are looking for an all round light, you want something in the middle. Neither full flood light, nor super thrower. These lights are great for certain purposes, but if you want the light to be useable in all normal situations, it needs to be something from the middle.
My thought is to use a 502 supplemented with something like my JetBeam 3M XML or RRT-21 to give the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, my little contribution to the photos of the H502. This one is a gift for someone else, but while in my hands I'm taking the opportunity for a few photos. I do plan on getting one of my own before too long.

H501w (left), H502 (middle), H600 (right).

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
Its been a while since I posted my little write up.

I was able to compare my H502 with my brothers V10a XML side by side, and the H502 certainly has a noticeably greener outer rim that I can only contribute to the GITD "reflector".

With that said, I would rather have the GITD reflector than not.

Everyone I show the light has been as impressed as I am, its one of those things that almost no one thought they wanted until they experience it and realize how limiting their throwy lights are in so many uses in comparison.

I think an H600w or SC600w would be a perfect compliament to this light. I haven't bought one yet because I don't have a good li-ion charger so the initial cost is kinda high for the 18650 light.

Last edited:

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
What do you want to see Moozooh? A path in a dark wooded area to see how functional it is on a hike? Or how it lights up my porch?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't quite understand why discussing about the effects of cri (and cct) in a few short messages would be off topic. Especially since many members have been asking about the differences and trade-offs and have been unsure which model to buy. :poke:
If you are referring to my post I was just hoping that this discussion would follow how CRI/color temp/CCT/etc. relates to the H502, which it has. I have seen other threads derailed and closed because they turn into pissing matches of which is better and who knows more. There are many members who know more than I (and have corrected me, and I have learned alot) on these topics and I feel the CRI/color temp/CCT discussion is relevant for this light/headlamp, especially since it is offered in so many options. I have learned a lot in these dedicated "CRI/color temp/CCT" discussions I just wanted this discussion to stay relevant to the H502, which it has.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine that the reason no one's doing beamshots (especially outdoors) is that no one has a camera with enough of a wide-angle lens to do the beam justice. A fisheye lens might be able to capture it, but that would foul up the true perspective.

It looks to me that unless you're doing relatively close-up wall shots, you won't be able to effectively capture the H502 beam with still shots unless you stitch them. At four feet from a wall, I see a beam spread of about 12 feet side to side. No lens I have will capture that from the wearer's perspective...so you'd have to place the camera well behind the lamp...and then you lose user perspective.

The thing I like about the H502 (just an initial impression) is that it really allows the user to take advantage of peripheral vision in a way that's unlike any headlamp I've seen. No tunnel vision effect. Personally, I really like that. To me, this headlamp is a winner.

mobi

Newly Enlightened
The thing I like about the H502 (just an initial impression) is that it really allows the user to take advantage of peripheral vision in a way that's unlike any headlamp I've seen. No tunnel vision effect. Personally, I really like that. To me, this headlamp is a winner.

That impression you describe is technically challenging to capture in a picture, as you noted. The 502 lights up the ground and nearby objects well, and even objects out to about 50 feet reflect a fair amount of light, and that can, with the right equipment, be photographed; but it also lights up distant ground and objects, and almost subliminally a large area in the sweep of the 502's 120 degree arc feels lit, without the eye perceiving (or the camera registering) much light in any given distant spot.

Ironically, the "502 effect" is most pronounced when the light is switched off, eliciting the "dungeon effect": the cocoon of light is replaced by encompassing darkness.

Last edited:

moozooh

Enlightened
What do you want to see Moozooh? A path in a dark wooded area to see how functional it is on a hike? Or how it lights up my porch?
Either would be better than nothing. I'm not very interested in the highest settings or the low lows per se, rather in the difference between ≤100 Lm settings in lighting up an outdoors area within some small distance (I guess placing a couple beer bottles or something similar in size at about 2, 5, and 10 meters would do the trick nicely).

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few shots to compare the beam spread on the H501w, H502 and H600. This is not intended to show a comparison of relative brightness. I had each light on high and just tried to capture the width of the beam of each. I find trying to compare brightness and what the eye actually sees is very deceptive in photos (almost never accurately revealing what the eye actually sees with too many human eye related dynamics involved for a simple photo to represent accurately).

In any case, this ought to show how wide a beam you get with the H502 in a relative sense. For the beam shots, I was standing about 8 feet diagonally away (behind and to the side) from the spot where the headlamps were set.

The headlamps were all placed in the same spot, 3 feet from the wall and 4 feet above the floor.

Left to right: H501w, H502, H600

120620-011a.jpg

H501w
120620-022a.jpg

H502 (At 3 feet from the wall, you get an easy 12 foot spread edge to edge. The wall is 12 feet wide and the beam encroached on the side walls both left and right, even though not as visible in the photo as to my eye when taking the photos)
120620-015a.jpg

H600
120620-027a.jpg

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks varuscelli. That's a very clever way of solving the problem of how to see the beam spread differences.

I have a H502d on order from the U.S. Zebralight site and yesterday its status changed from "back order" to "in stock", so I may be getting mine early next week. I can hardly wait.

Ed

moozooh

Enlightened
Here are a few shots to compare the beam spread on the H501w, H502 and H600. This is not intended to show a comparison of relative brightness.

Thanks for such good shots! H502's horizontal range and softness are impressive. Out of curiosity, are those maximum brightness settings?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
varuscelli,

Very informative pictures there!

As great as my H501 was, I sometimes had to adjust the beam to aim it exactly where it was needed. The super wide beam of the H502 will make beam angling unnecessary. I think I will like the H502 just fine, despite that stupid, girly glowing thing.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys.

Ed, that angle does help quite a bit, I think...but still doesn't have the visual impact that the user feels when the H502 is worn with the headband. For other uses when not used as a headlamp, this should give a pretty good idea of H502 beam spread.

moozooh, I purposefully did not try to capture relative brightness in these shots. I just wanted to capture beam spread. I did have all lights on high, but used different camera settings as needed to show the beam spread without washing out the image (as would happen with the H600) or making it seem too dim (as might happen with the H501). I used various camera settings when taking these shots, so they're definitely not good for accurate brightness evaluation of any of the lamps.

davidt1 -- thanks!

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Var! Very interesting.

So the original H50 was 120 degrees (although there was a rare H50b variant with 80 degrees), then the H501 narrowed down to 80, and H502 goes back up to 120 again. Yet the difference is jolting in your wall shots. The H501 appears more even across its entire spread, but if you examine the central portion of the H502, the evenly lit portion appears just as large as the H501, then adds a falloff area around it.

My issue when working in crawlspaces and attics is that tools go "missing" in the dark, so this extra wide beam should be very handy. Just conjecture based on your photos, but the H502's beam would seem ridiculously large for trail hiking. One problem with a very wide beam: it'll light up nearby objects and temporarily "blind" you with the reflected light. This happens to me often when using my SD52 in attics...I'll get near a joist and that ultra wide beam will reflect off it, constricting my pupil temporarily. Generally worth the tradeoff of being able to "see everything" when working, however. But could get annoying if you're going through brush or low hanging branches in the wild.

Having seen these photos, and being aware of how many people want their headlamps for night hiking use, I'm wondering if an H502 will be issued in a "b" version, a la the H50--ie, a full flood of 80-60 degrees in width. I imagine something like a simple lens would do it. (Although the H51f should have that sufficiently covered? Don't own one, don't know.)

Of course, if ZL would have just threaded that bezel...

PS: Yes, the H502 would be great for "DavidT Carry" (around the neck, under the shirt). When I carry my H501 that way I notice I spend more time than usual adjusting the beam. Neck carry needs a really wide beam.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Var! Very interesting.

So the original H50 was 120 degrees (although there was a rare H50b variant with 80 degrees), then the H501 narrowed down to 80, and H502 goes back up to 120 again. Yet the difference is jolting in your wall shots. The H501 appears more even across its entire spread, but if you examine the central portion of the H502, the evenly lit portion appears just as large as the H501, then adds a falloff area around it.

Thanks, Bolster. And hey, I hadn't realized that the original H50 was 120 degrees. Interesting note.

On the H502 and falloff, I don't think the falloff as viewed by the eye in person is really as exaggerated as the photo seems to indicate. To the human eye (at least, to my eye), it's much more even and balanced (smooth overall) in appearance. I think still photo images tend to exaggerate falloff in most beam shots. When wearing the H502 as a headlamp, falloff is hardly noticeable at all...especially compared to the beam rendition offered by the still photos.

Although I do think the H501w has a smoother beam relative to it's overall spread, I think perhaps having the more powerful H502 on it's highest setting and at the same distance to the wall as the H501 (that is, so close to the wall) makes the H502 seem to have more of a hot spot (if that makes sense)...but I might be off in my visual assessment (just trying to express what my eyes see). And you're right, Bolster, that if you compare the same central coverage area of the H502 to the overall H501, the same central area of the H502 is very similar to the H501.

What I might be able to to this evening is compare the H501w and H502 in photos with as close as I can come to matching brightness settings and see the difference then. Will probably look much the same as Bolster says with the overall H501w comparing to the center of the H502, but with equivalent output settings it could make an interesting visual comparison.

Last edited: