Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

[size=5]Are you looking into :thinking: buying the Zebralight [b]SC52[/b]?[/size]

• [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i pre-ordered it! :nana:[/size]

Votes: 74 17.7%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i ordered it. :grin2:[/size]

Votes: 114 27.3%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i [i]am[/i] going to order it sooner or later. Count me in yet! :santa:[/size]

Votes: 140 33.5%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but i am not too sure about it, neither now nor in future. :shrug:[/size]

Votes: 62 14.8%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but most likely it's [b]not[/b] gonna happen for some reason. :sigh:[/size]

Votes: 28 6.7%

• Total voters

nbp

Flashaholic
Just ordered an SC52w L2. Hoping it doesn't take too long to come from Zebralight!! This is my first ZL, and the first, ahem, Chinese built light I have purchased in ages. Need to scratch the itch for a new light and can't afford more McGizmos right now, Hahaha. So my expectations are high, but I'm looking forward to playing with it! If it seems tough and reliable I'll be happy to add it to my pocket gear for work days. :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered an SC52w L2. Hoping it doesn't take too long to come from Zebralight!! This is my first ZL, and the first, ahem, Chinese built light I have purchased in ages. Need to scratch the itch for a new light and can't afford more McGizmos right now, Hahaha. So my expectations are high, but I'm looking forward to playing with it! If it seems tough and reliable I'll be happy to add it to my pocket gear for work days. :)
I think you will like it. Especially when running it with 14500.

UnderPar

Enlightened
I think you will like it. Especially when running it with 14500.

I second to this. I received my SC52w L2 last night and its really awesome! :grin2: This is my second warm white light. UI is still very much similar to my SC600MkII L2. This is my new EDC now. :cool:

rexet

Newly Enlightened
I also own both SC600w MKII L2 and SC52w L2. I love them both but I prefer the tint from my SC600w. The SC52w I received is too warm, really yellow. It doesn't bother me that much but I would have liked a more neutral white.

UnderPar

Enlightened
I also own both SC600w MKII L2 and SC52w L2. I love them both but I prefer the tint from my SC600w. The SC52w I received is too warm, really yellow. It doesn't bother me that much but I would have liked a more neutral white.

I also have the same impression on the color. Comparing it to my other warm white light, this one is warmer. But I dont want it to bother me anymore. Am still very happy owning one. :)

Etsu

Enlightened
At some point this year, I'm going to buy another SC52w (L2). But I want to make sure they work out the kinks first, since they seem to be changing materials, according to another thread. I don't mind a warm tint, so yellow is okay with me. Hopefully, not too green.

I don't like the blinkies in the new UI, but I'll just avoid triple-clicks.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the same impression on the color. Comparing it to my other warm white light, this one is warmer. But I dont want it to bother me anymore. Am still very happy owning one. :)

while i would prefer something around 5000K, i consider zebra's "w" to be the lesser evil compared to their cool white offering

markr6

Flashaholic
while i would prefer something around 5000K, i consider zebra's "w" to be the lesser evil compared to their cool white offering

Same here. I am spoiled now by the 5000K SC62d, but I still like my "w" models too (some more than others)

Etsu

Enlightened
The Nichia 219 spoils it for all other LEDs. It's my #1 choice for a light. #2 choice is an incandescent at around 3500K (which still looks white to me, and of course shows great reds and oranges). Last choice is any cheap light that uses an LED up in the 8000K+ range, into the ugly blue and purple range. I'll take yellow over purple any day.

The rest of my family couldn't care less about the tint or color temp. I think that's why cool white is so popular.

markr6

Flashaholic
The Nichia 219 spoils it for all other LEDs. It's my #1 choice for a light. #2 choice is an incandescent at around 3500K (which still looks white to me, and of course shows great reds and oranges). Last choice is any cheap light that uses an LED up in the 8000K+ range, into the ugly blue and purple range. I'll take yellow over purple any day.

The rest of my family couldn't care less about the tint or color temp. I think that's why cool white is so popular.

I agree. It's like a digital camera. People like big numbers so a 20 megapixel camera will impress them. But I look through that and see the crappy color, noise, chromatic aberration, etc). I would rather take the 12 megapixel camera with a quality processor and lens and enjoy an adequately sized photo with rich bright color and razor sharp detail.

UnderPar

Enlightened

Very well said. Would love this light more if it is in the 5000k color level. This could have been the neutral white which is how ZL identified it in their website. But the "w" on the 52 stands for warm. :confused:

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Very well said. Would love this light more if it is in the 5000k color level. This could have been the neutral white which is how ZL identified it in their website. But the "w" on the 52 stands for warm. :confused:

Consider it w for warmer than cold.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a SC52w-L2. I already have the SC52, but want something warmer. I hope the tint consistency is better on the L2 line than it was on the original SC52w, but I'll take what I get.

Zebralight seems to be one of the few manufacturers that offer neutral white choices in their standard line of lights. Pity that more companies don't offer higher CRI versions. I would have preferred a warm white high CRI, because the neutral XML still isn't that high, but at least it's better than cool white. Anyone know if Zebralight has any plans for a high CRI LED in a version that uses AA batteries?

markr6

Flashaholic
Pity that more companies don't offer higher CRI versions.

I'm hopeful more companies will start. Eagletac is doing a good job offering neutral in many of their models. They even offer a Nichia 219 in the D25A which is pretty surprising. Hopefully others follow.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
They come in the form of a Luxeon T and they are the H502c and H502d.

Yes, that is their headlamp model, not a flashlight model. I don't think I could get used to using a flashlight that shines out the side.

I'm hopeful more companies will start. Eagletac is doing a good job offering neutral in many of their models. They even offer a Nichia 219 in the D25A which is pretty surprising. Hopefully others follow.

I didn't know they used the Nichia, I thought they only used Crees. Thank you. I have one light with a Nichia 219 and I really like the output with no variation in tint across the beam. Crees always seem to have a greenish corona.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new generation of SC52's is announced, got the newsletter today in the mail:

unnamedh4apq.jpg

Pure Innovation.

Awesome.

:huh:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, no! Are you telling me that I've wasted my money on the SC52w-L2 I just ordered, when I could have waited and got the exact same thing but with a frosted lens???

When I get the light, I'm going to scratch up the lens to "upgrade" it.