Zebralight SC600 Hotspot issue - Homemade solution inside

pinetree89

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600 Hotspot issue

I received an SC600w about a week ago with the same issue. There appears to be a crescent moon shaped dark spot in the hot spot. I purchased mine from Zebralight here in the US. Not sure what I'm going to do. Wreck3r thanks for sharing your experience. I'm concerned if I ship it back to ZL on my dime, I'm just going to get another bad one. I'm getting the vibe from a couple other posts here on CPF that ZL let a whole bunch of these out the door. A real pity as my SC51 has been nothing but stellar.

I'd post beam shots, but suffice it to say it looks almost identical to Wreck3r's.

Is my understanding correct that this is caused by the emitter sitting too high in the reflector?

Wreck3r

Newly Enlightened

Is my understanding correct that this is caused by the emitter sitting too high in the reflector?

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem. If you look at the first picture in this post http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...otspot-issue&p=3903252&viewfull=1#post3903252 you can see that the lower part of the reflector is filled by the PCB of the led. This means that the reflector is lower than the LED or the LED is higher. Either way, unfortunately, you cannot lower the LED so you must lift a tiny bit the reflector.

I haven't had the time to make an o-ring but I improvised a bit. I used a small gauge wire taken from a PC fan, wrapped it around the reflector on the flat lip and then put it back together. This wire lifted the reflector a bit (maybe 0.3 mm) just enough to make the moon shaped darker area disappear. When I will have the time I will try to make an o-ring maybe a tad thicker, 0.7mm and use it to raise the reflector, and then take some pictures for the people that want to avoid sending their expensive flashlight for a holiday in China.

LE: Have a look here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...otspot-issue&p=3903407&viewfull=1#post3903407. In the first image you can clearly see the difference between my SC600 and his light. The bottom of the reflector is yellow, reflecting the LED not the PCB. Even thought his emitter is off center the hot spot isn't affected.

Last edited:

Wreck3r

Newly Enlightened

OK, had some spare time and made some brass o-rings.
IMG_6631_m.jpg

I then put them underneath the reflector and lifted it about 0.8mm (0.5 wasn't enough). Here is the result:

IMG_6636.jpg

comparing with:

IMG_6545.jpg

The only small problem is that the head screw is 0.8mm higher and the beginning of the thread is showing. This, on the other hand, shouldn't affect the waterproofing capabilities as the gasket is pressed against the glass and the body.

Hope these photos help the ones that have this issue.

Cheers.

Last edited:

pinetree89

Enlightened

Wow, thanks Wreck3r, very nice write up and outstanding pictures! :wave:I think I'm going to have to have to go ahead with this. If I might ask, how did you fabricate your washers?

I'm sure this thread will be of use to many because I sincerly doubt we're the only ones with this issue.

Wreck3r

Newly Enlightened

Wow, thanks Wreck3r, very nice write up and outstanding pictures! :wave:I think I'm going to have to have to go ahead with this. If I might ask, how did you fabricate your washers?

I'm sure this thread will be of use to many because I sincerly doubt we're the only ones with this issue.

I made them on a lathing machine. But, if you don't have the possibility of making custom washers, you can go with this method:
IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

By wrapping a small gauge wire around the reflector. I have found that a PC fan wire is good enough.

af112566

Newly Enlightened

im still trying to open the head of my sc600,,,seems like its really on there good. any suggestions??

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I too am surprised about this issue (SC51C, H51FW and H31R all perfect) and slightly worried as I want to order an H600W soon...

pinetree89

Enlightened

Thanks Wreck3r, I used your wire method and wrapped it around the reflector like you have in the picture. I gotta say, it works really well, my hotspot is now excellent and homogeneous, like it should've been from the factory. No more crescent moon dark spot in the hotspot. My emitter is not perfectly centered, but it doesn't seem to impact the beam quality to my eyes once your fix has been implemented. Thanks for all the pics and info! Cheers! :thumbsup:

I suspect Zebra has changed emitter boards to this new white colored emitter board, and messed up something along the way causing the emitter to sit up too high in the reflector. Hopefully they can get on top of this. :ohgeez:

pinetree89

Enlightened

im still trying to open the head of my sc600,,,seems like its really on there good. any suggestions??

I just used my hands to open mine up, took a bit of force though. Perhaps you have a really stubborn one. Perhaps a small amount of heat would help things along. Perhaps run your light on high for 5 or 10 minutes and then give it a shot.

Wreck3r

Newly Enlightened

More force, don't be shy. Maybe keep it powered on max and after the step down, try again.

Glad to be of help pinetree89.

LE: Beat me to it pinetree :)

af112566

Newly Enlightened

cool,,thanks guys.ill run it on turbo for a while and give it a try..

romteb

Enlightened
It would be reassuring for potential buyers if a Zebralight representative (is George still around here ?) acknowledged the problem in this thread...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be reassuring for potential buyers if a Zebralight representative (is George still around here ?) acknowledged the problem in this thread...

Yeah, I've been holding out on buying an H600W for a few months due to budget, now I might wait 6 months just in case...

FLGUY

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem with my original light ZL swapped it out for me but it was not a fast process at all. Wish I would have known about this fix before hand.

thaugen

Enlightened
I just ordered an H600w that has one of the nicest beams I have seen on a Zebralight. I am very pleased and don't think all Zebralights with the XM-L are plagued with the same problem.

pinetree89

Enlightened
I just ordered an H600w that has one of the nicest beams I have seen on a Zebralight. I am very pleased and don't think all Zebralights with the XM-L are plagued with the same problem.

I would agree with this. I think perhaps the root cause might be a bad batch of reflectors for the SC600 that allow the emitter to sit up too high. Let's hope Zebra addresses this and doesn't let it happen again. I would guess the H600 probably utilizes a different reflector.

A18TTC

Newly Enlightened
Got my zebralight sc600 today. My first zebralight and it has the same problem hotspot. Annoying and not happy with zebralight for not being more consistent. none of of my other lights in cl uding budget lights had this problem.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my zebralight sc600 today. My first zebralight and it has the same problem hotspot. Annoying and not happy with zebralight for not being more consistent. none of of my other lights in cl uding budget lights had this problem.

lol i just ordered mine today

their website says backordered so maybe ill get a different shipment?

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just chiming in here with my findings.
I ordered my sc600w direct from ZL about 4 weeks ago.

Mine has the same reflector and hotspot problems as the other guys mentioned.

I would like to get the correct reflector for this light.
Hopefully they are willing to take care of us.

Latest posts