Zebralight SC600 Hotspot issue - Homemade solution inside

af112566

Newly Enlightened
i wasnt able to remove the top bezel on mine,so ill leave it as is.its not that bad when im using it outdoors but inside it bothers me.nice light overall though..

salsadj

Newly Enlightened
Got my SC600 today from IG. Same hotspot issue. Gonna see if I can return it for a refund and hold off until Zebralight sorts this out.

Nice65

Newly Enlightened
Just stumbled upon this thread.

I had one of the originals and lost it, along with an expensive trit holder. :(

Well, it had to be replaced but I ended up with the most horrible beam pattern. On the one hand I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, but it's annoying we've had to pay this sort of cash for a substandard light.

I contacted my UK supplier when I received it, it was tested against the others he had in stock and all of them had this pattern. To his eye the LED was too high in the reflector, a theory borne out in this thread. I'm linking him to it and he's going to contact Zebralight and find out whether the problem has been addressed and rectified.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the price of Zebralights I would expect them to have better build quality than an Ultrafire/Trustfire.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had 3 SC600s. 1 had a perfect hotspot, the other two had the half moon hotspot. Some of their lights do have nice hotspots, alot don't. Unfortunately, my light with the nice hotspot ended up faulty and was returned to the dealer.

The replacement light of course had a crappy hotspot.:thumbsdow

Nice65

Newly Enlightened
Just an update.

I spoke to my UK supplier, linking him to this thread and he contacted Zebralight. They didn't answer any of his questions or comment on the issue. Over several emails he bullet pointed the questions he wanted answered and was ignored. They won't acknowledge the issue.

I emailed ZL myself asking for a replacement and got a standard automated returns form sent to me. I'm loathe to send it off to China at my expense, and also not happy that they're ignoring my UK dealers' questions. I think their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, I got the head unscrewed by letting the torch run hot and wrapping a rubber band around it for grip. I tried inserting one of the spare O rings that came with it and it seems to have fixed the issue. The beam still isn't as nice as the original but it's much better, so thanks for the fix.

c3737eef.jpg

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update.

I spoke to my UK supplier, linking him to this thread and he contacted Zebralight. They didn't answer any of his questions or comment on the issue. Over several emails he bullet pointed the questions he wanted answered and was ignored. They won't acknowledge the issue.

I emailed ZL myself asking for a replacement and got a standard automated returns form sent to me. I'm loathe to send it off to China at my expense, and also not happy that they're ignoring my UK dealers' questions. I think their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, I got the head unscrewed by letting the torch run hot and wrapping a rubber band around it for grip. I tried inserting one of the spare O rings that came with it and it seems to have fixed the issue. The beam still isn't as nice as the original but it's much better, so thanks for the fix.

c3737eef.jpg

well, at least you and your dealer did all you could, that's good work and effort!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I have one in the mail coming to me...now I see this. I sure hope this problem has been resolved. $100 or so bucks, I expect great beam quality.

Nice65

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I have one in the mail coming to me...now I see this. I sure hope this problem has been resolved. $100 or so bucks, I expect great beam quality.

Post here if it isn't, I'm shocked by ZLs lack of response to this. The problem has been highlighted by superb pictures and intelligent thought, yet continuously swept under the carpet. Ignoring a dealers' direct questions about it is very poor.

burntoshine

Enlightened
zebralight is heading in a crappy direction. i bought and returned the SC80w because of severe o-ring problems. their customer service is extremely lousy. i absolutely love my 2 SC600w torches and the H600w is (in my opinion) THE best light to have when mountain biking through the woods at night. their quality seems to be getting worse and worse. i have very mixed feelings with ZL at the moment. :thumbsdow

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I never noticed this thread until today. It got me wondering if I could improve the beam on the SC600w. It was ordered the very first day that the SC600w was available on the ZL site. The beam never had any donuts and wasn't really bad at all.. Or so I thought. After digging around in my flashlight parts box, I found an o-ring that was the perfect size to lift the reflector high enough so that the green PCB couldn't be seen on the reflector's surface when looking into the light head on. After tightening the bezel back down and turning it on I was shocked! The beam is even more defined and, maybe it's just me, but I can see a more concentrated hotspot. It now has a brighter hotspot than a 4000k xml T3 or T4(Can't recall) driven to 4.2 amps in an OP P60 reflector! It didn't before this little "mod". Big thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I hope that ZL gets this fixed..

Last edited:

JackTorch

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an SC600 from a Buy it Now on eBay on August 30. The light has been my EDC from that time to now. My light does not have any crescent in the beam at all. My flashlight performs perfectly and I am totally satisfied with it.

I will continue to scan the threads before I purchase another light of any type. Since I prefer the forward switch type of light I might look elsewhere for another light when this one wears out or grows legs and runs away. ZL seems to have some QC issues and I might not buy from them again. I expect quality and longevity after shelling out the kind of coin an SC600 costs.

Thanks for the good info in this forum! You folks really help with getting up to speed regarding flashlights.

Cheers

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post here if it isn't, I'm shocked by ZLs lack of response to this. The problem has been highlighted by superb pictures and intelligent thought, yet continuously swept under the carpet. Ignoring a dealers' direct questions about it is very poor.

Arrived. All good...

Cipi

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I have same problem with my sc 600, I got it last April. The hotspot in the middle like a dark area like a horse shoe, wery enoing did't expected fron $95 torch, with so many good reviews. I have contacted Zebralight, and they ask me to send it to them, to have a look at it, but I was all ready upsset that it took nearly 8 weeks to arrive from China, and now I have to send it back to China and wait another 8 weeks I say no thanks, and I use the torch as it was (no replacement as is stated on they warranty card)!
As winter is aproaching this year here where I live in southern hemisfere I send the torch back to China to be fix, it cost me $20 registrated post, and after nearly 8 weeks I recive the torch fixt, the hot spot is very nice with nice transition on sides, the top ring is brownis where the lens is situated as sighn of repacement and was not fully scru up, the reflector is change as well, it looks like is trowing little more with less speel on sides. Customer care at zebralight ar so bad they are not replay to your emails, I got the torch quiker on post than an email from them to let me know they send it back to me few weeks ago. In total the light it cost me @115 next time I will look for a local dealer where you pay postage and recive it next day let him or her deal with the Chinese manufacurer, I will not bite agen the free shipment from direct manufacture.ps please excuse my pour english.

pinetree89

Enlightened
Glad you got it all sorted out and have a good light now. While Zebralight has very innovative designs and cutting edge circuits, their customer service does indeed leave a lot to be desired.