ZebraLight SC600 MkII

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC600 MKII info

what way would you suggest?
fenix ain't really no better.
thanks.

I've not tried it myself either, and I realize it still will be quite usable. It's just to me, the idea of turning on, then switching levels, then *double clicking* (!) to get to a proper level...ya that's just not optimal--at all. There just *has to be* a better way. But that's not unique to ZL. No one's really innovating in this area, it seems...

TEEJ

Flashaholic

As you can program it. you could make it come on in LOW instead of high, etc, if you wanted to...and they anyone COULD just use it, etc.

Mine are all set for on at turbo though, and the wife/kids had no trouble, as they KNOW my lights will melt brain tissue if they look AT the beam, etc...so its just not a problem.

:D

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

so ZL UI is better than Fenix's ?.
it looks it.
i get so confused counting up & damn down with these fenix's...
pd32ue.

As you can program it. you could make it come on in LOW instead of high, etc, if you wanted to...and they anyone COULD just use it, etc.

Mine are all set for on at turbo though, and the wife/kids had no trouble, as they KNOW my lights will melt brain tissue if they look AT the beam, etc...so its just not a problem.

BWX

Enlightened

I like my Fenix LD20 UI, but I do not like two button UIs. I'd probably already have a PD32U if it wasn't for that two button UI. IMHO ZL has the UI thing covered.

phips

Newly Enlightened

I did some thinking about this flashlight and came to the conclusion that I will buy a H600Fw ;)
Having just one light that does everything (in my case: flashlight, head lamp, bike light) is very appealing to me.
Also I am really curious if an angle light is as practical as I think it is.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

I did some thinking about this flashlight and come to the conclusion that I will buy a H600Fw ;)Having just one light that does everything (in my case: flashlight, head lamp, bike light) is very appealing to me.Also I am really curious if an angle light is as practical as I think it is.

I think you'll find it practical. I only use mine as a headlamp but since I got it the H51 has been downgraded to "miscellaneous use" without the band since I hate cool whites now. I find using headlamps without the headband is quite nice. I don't really see any downsides and it's nice to stand it on a table and light up a work area.

fnj

Enlightened

Personally not tried it, and apologies for a very entry-level question, but - could anybody pick it up and use it in an emergency?

Most definitely. Someone who knows nothing whatever about it is going to either:

1) Click the button quickly - it will come on bright just as he expects a flashlight with a click switch to do. Perfect for an emergency.

2) Hold the button down - he will immediately see that it cycles between dim, medium, and bright continuously as long as he holds it down, and pretty quickly he will pick up that it stays in whichever mode it is in when he lets go. Pretty intuitive. Entirely acceptable in an emergency.

3) Somewhat less likely - he will do something in between (1) and (2) and it will come on in either medium or low. If it comes on in low because he clicked it too slowly, he will probably try again and get medium or high. This is OK in an emergency. Two out of three he will get either very bright (high) or bright (medium) light the first time, and almost certain he will after a couple of tries.

4) Pretty unlikely he will even try double clicking it while it is on, so he's not going to mess with the H2, M2, or L2 programming. Even if he does try it, it's hardly the end of the world. It takes determined clicking to get it into strobe mode.

fnj

Enlightened

If I understand you, permit me to take exception. You can program what level high is, picking between the fixed H1 level or several choices for H2 levels. You can program what level medium is, picking between the fixed M1 level or several choices for M2 levels. And you can program what level low is, picking between the fixed L1 level or several choices for L2 levels. But you can't change the behavior that one quick click from off always goes to high, one slow-but-not-too-slow click from off always goes to low, and holding down the button always cycles between low, medium, and high repeatedly as long as you hold it down.

You can always make it come on in either high or low depending on how you click it, but with no dependency at all on programming. It's not a flexible-but-compl;icated as the HDS EDC.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

You pick the level that it comes on in...pick a lower one, and it comes on dimmer, etc.

Frankly, I prefer lights to come on in HIGH/MAX anyway....and that's how mine are set up. If I want it dim, I just select a dim light.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I understand you, permit me to take exception. You can program what level high is, picking between the fixed H1 level or several choices for H2 levels. You can program what level medium is, picking between the fixed M1 level or several choices for M2 levels. And you can program what level low is, picking between the fixed L1 level or several choices for L2 levels. But you can't change the behavior that one quick click from off always goes to high, one slow-but-not-too-slow click from off always goes to low, and holding down the button always cycles between low, medium, and high repeatedly as long as you hold it down.

You can always make it come on in either high or low depending on how you click it, but with no dependency at all on programming. It's not a flexible-but-compl;icated as the HDS EDC.

This is how mine works as well. No way to pick...say the 65 lumen level at turn on.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Look, it isn't a matter of whether a child can "figure it out' or whether some neophyte can get it to turn on in an emergency, even if those circumstances were to happen.
The truth of the matter is that some people just don't like this User Interface, and don't want it, and really aren't interested, even if somebody is telling them that "this is the world's greatest interface" in their biased opinion.

So, it's much easier to just come to grips with this fact that not everybody likes or wants this, and that's the way life is.
There is no such thing as the "world's greatest interface", no matter how hard some people want to proclaim it. There is the "best interface for YOU" and that is as far as it goes.

So, some will like it, and some will hate it, and never want to buy it, and that's perfectly okay for them.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's the thing.

It's not a matter of whether a child can "figure it out" or if a stranger can make it work in an emergency, even if those things might occur.
The issue is that some people just don't like this User Interface, and don't really care if somebody else wants to proclaim it to be "the worlds greatest user interface".
They just don't want it. It doesn't suit them.
Simple as that.

It's okay.
Not everybody is going to like ZL or want to buy a ZL.

g.p.

Enlightened

Here's the thing.

It's not a matter of whether a child can "figure it out" or if a stranger can make it work in an emergency, even if those things might occur.
The issue is that some people just don't like this User Interface, and don't really care if somebody else wants to proclaim it to be "the worlds greatest user interface".
They just don't want it. It doesn't suit them.
Simple as that.

It's okay.
Not everybody is going to like ZL or want to buy a ZL.
So you haven't personally tried it?

Just kidding...sorry for asking. :rolleyes:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you haven't personally tried it?

Just kidding...sorry for asking. :rolleyes:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I've personally tried it many many times. Probably hundreds of times.
I have a very close friend who is a ZL dealer(as I mentioned previously), and he lets me play with the lights every time I go there.
And I can get any ZL at dealer cost, any time I want.
But, I simply don't like the way they work, and so I don't buy them.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

My favorite IC is found on the Olight Baton lights. Simple and straight forward. Runner up for me is the Nitecore EC25 type control...but the Zebralight is nice too...

selas

Newly Enlightened

Yes, as a matter of fact, I've personally tried it many many times. Probably hundreds of times.
I have a very close friend who is a ZL dealer(as I mentioned previously), and he lets me play with the lights every time I go there.
And I can get any ZL at dealer cost, any time I want.
But, I simply don't like the way they work, and so I don't buy them.
Must be something drawing you back all those 'hundreds' of times ;)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Must be something drawing you back all those 'hundreds' of times ;)

Yes, it's the steak dinners that his wife cooks when I visit!
But, I am a flashaholic, and I do like to try out the lights when I go there, and it is always in the back of my mind that I could get a real low price if I could just start liking them.
I wanted to see if I could get used to them, and maybe they'd grow on me.

It's really not a big deal. People like different things, and that's pretty normal.

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened

You could always mark them up a little and sell them to me. Win, win.

;)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could always mark them up a little and sell them to me. Win, win.

;)

The one I like the best is the H600. Then, the SC600 next after that. I haven't played with the SC52, but I wasn't too thrilled about the SC51, and so I don't think the SC52 is going to change my mind. Im not too keen on AA lights.
I will try out a 6330 next time I go. He told me that he has some on order.