Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon, TI ?

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Been thinkin of getting this light for awhile, seems pretty nice, especially with that monster throw and dead flat regulation. One question though. With it being a plastic-bodied light and the Luxeon definitely not being underdriven, does it handle its t.hermal i.ssues well? The reflector and lamp assembly are pretty much all-metal, so I'm thinking it's a yes (hoping)...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam's comment on the heat issue at flashlightreviews:
The one concern I did have with this light surrounds driving LEDs at fairly high rates inside a plastic body. Despite the use of a lot of metal in the lamp assembly to draw heat away from the LED, there is nowhere for that heat to go inside a plastic light. As a result heat could have build up caused damage to the LED. Based upon thermal observations, it does not appear that the LED or the surrounding structure get any where near the manufacturer recommended maximum temperature despite continuous on-time.

The full review here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
L.E.D. said:
Been thinkin of getting this light for awhile, seems pretty nice, especially with that monster throw and dead flat regulation. One question though. With it being a plastic-bodied light and the Luxeon definitely not being underdriven, does it handle its t.hermal i.ssues well? The reflector and lamp assembly are pretty much all-metal, so I'm thinking it's a yes (hoping)...

Don't know much abt that, but I only know your post won't turn up when someone searches for the word "thermal"...hahaha ... :crackup: But now it will cuz we typed it :D

I am using a Lux III star direct driven in a plastic flashlight measured 730ma when battery is fresh out of the charger (4.1v), it does get VERY warm, but still touchable. I need to get a thermometer with a small probe to measure the inside perhaps.

I doubt its anywhere near 70-80 degrees celsius even and apparently a luxeon can take about 120 degrees celsius? Of course, the higher the heat, the more chance it will deteriorate faster.

Vee3

Enlightened
I haven't seen any posts where it was said to be an issue. I'm sure that there would be several if it were a problem since it's such a popular light.

I had mine on for probably 1/2 hr on a warm summer night's walk. It didn't melt...