Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon question.

Sburr23

Newly Enlightened
After hearing so many people say how great the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon is, I'm thinking of getting one. My question, is it to bright for up close work in total darkness? I mean, is it to bright to say, read a map at night, or would you have to hold the light well away from the map not to blind yourself? I've read the reviews on a couple of sites, and seeing the throw numbers is why I'm asking is it too bright. I have lots of lights for throw, I need a good GP light, with a decent width beam. Do you guys think it makes a good up close light?

Thanks

Steve

CLHC

Flashaholic
It's pretty bright for up close and personal in TOTAL darkness to be sure. You'll have to use the spill for that which is no problem titling the light if I must say. The side spill will make it useful for map reading up close. . .

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say no. Yeah I've used it for up close work but I shine it at an angle to cut down the glare. There are better choices for that kind of light. I personally use my Inova X5 for map reading and the Polypro for throw. They are a good combination to keep in the car.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it could be a bit too bright to use to read a map in total darkness and would severely impact your night vision. If you're going to use if for that purpose and there is no other light available, try covering up the lens with your fingers and then allowing a small amount of light to "leak" through the cracks between your fingers.

On the other hand, it's not so bright that you can't use it with the light about 2-3 feet away, and as mentioned earlier, held off to an angle. But again, it's still going to mess up your night vision if it is that dark out there.

All in all, it's a great general purpose light of walking or camping, with some reasonable throw to it as well.

Sburr23 said:
After hearing so many people say how great the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon is, I'm thinking of getting one. My question, is it to bright for up close work in total darkness? I mean, is it to bright to say, read a map at night, or would you have to hold the light well away from the map not to blind yourself? I've read the reviews on a couple of sites, and seeing the throw numbers is why I'm asking is it too bright. I have lots of lights for throw, I need a good GP light, with a decent width beam. Do you guys think it makes a good up close light?

Thanks

Steve

L.E.D.

Enlightened
The Propoly's beam is very tight thus the reason it throws well. Over output is pretty high for a Luxeon I as well. Insanely bright for close up purposes. I think I would suggest the Coast Led Lenser Digi-Tac I (David 15) for this purpose. It has a very floody beam, decent throw but not so tight as an x1. Emits a nice flood of light with even distribution throughout the beam, and brighter in total output than an AA minimag (slightly less bright than an old version Streamlight JR Luxeon). Output appears to be decently regulated as well.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sburr23 said:
...is it to bright for up close work in total darkness?...
It's a great LED light, maybe the best in that price range. However the hotspot beam is narrow, and also it's pretty bright for close up night work.

For close up night work, a two level or variable output light would probably be better. Something like a Nuwai TM-301X-3, but it's more expensive:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm

A more ideal light would be a Surefire A2, L2, U2, or HDS EDC, but they're quite expensive.