Best EverLED for Maglite?

pizzaman

Enlightened
It's time to get an EverLED into one of my 2c maglites.

I've read a fair amount here in the forums about this bulb, but am still undecided as to which version to get.

What is the latest preference of EverLED (Side emitter vs. Lambertain) in a maglite? (I have sputtered my reflector if that makes a difference).

I'd really like to hear from anyone that has used both bulbs in a maglite, but all info is appreciated.

Which provides the tightest hot-spot?

Which provides the most throw?

Which provides the best flood?

Which provides the least artifacts in the beam?

TR

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lambertian gives the tightest hotspot and longest throw and has few, if any, artifacts. It's great for use at a distance but less useful close up.

The side emitter has a bigger hotspot and dimmer spill light. The beam is full of artifacts. A sputtered reflector helps, but the artifacts will always be there.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I wonder... assuming you have both emitters on the focal point, wouldn't the sputter diffuse any artifacts to the point you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2 emitters? :thinking: ...it could depend on the amount of sputtering too... :confused:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
I wonder... assuming you have both emitters on the focal point, wouldn't the sputter diffuse any artifacts to the point you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2 emitters?

In simple terms, No!

I have a side emitter EverLED in a sputtered reflector and a Craftsman Lux I bulb in a sputtered reflector and they aren't even remotely similar. The one with the Craftsman bulb still has a well defined hotspot and LOTS more throw than the side emitter EverLED. But... I have Lux III Magmods for when I want throw. If I'm in my own backyard and need a light, the EverLED used to be my go to light before I did a tri Lux I Mag. Still, the side emitter EverLED gives a nice flood with very decent throw. Also if used indoors, the side emitter can be used near reflective walls without blinding yourself nearly as much as you would with a high dome light.

I guess it comes down to how you plan on using the light. If you want more flood, I'd go for the EverLED, if you need more throw, I'd go for a high dome.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the crude pic but this does a pretty job showing the differences... On the left is a side emitter EverLED and on the right is high dome Craftsman Lux I bulb. Though you can see them, they both have large spillbeams though the Craftsman bulb definately puts out a noticably brighter spillbeam.

I used to have a high dome EverLED (and another side emitter EverLED for that matter) but I think the Craftsman bulb is representative of high dome Lux mods though obviously it is intended to work with 3 cells and wouldn't be very bright at all in your 2C.

IMG_2270a.jpg

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cratz...your beam shot illustrates you point very well! I also have one of the Craftsman Tool Light LuxI bulbs in a 3D Mag (with a UCL from FL), and the beam is bright, smooth, and throws a TON! Also, being DD, it runs a LOOOONNNNGGGG time on a set of D cells. For anyone wanting to mod a 3 cell Mag, I'd HIGHLY recommend buying one of the Craftsman lights and using the bulb...it's HALF the price of an Ever LED, and the end result is damn near the same, minus the regulation!

PJD

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing to throw out there... I've never done a formal runtime test but my particular EverLED pulls 430ma on fresh cells while the Craftsman bulb pulls only 330ma and has more throw and a brighter spillbeam.

Thinking about it some more, other than the flexability of the EverLED (different numbers of cells), the Craftsman bulb seems to be the way to go for 3 cell applications.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Diamond replacement units? They seem to be cheaper than the EverLED's and maybe produce more output. Also they seem to be designed to handle the heat better. Some of them are down to about $25, and the Craftsman light is $20.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both an EverLED side emitter (paid $40) and a Diamond DB-3W (currently on sale for $25). For throw the DB-3W is much better and is my main light at the house. The EverLED is not as bright nor focuses as tightly, but has much better runtime so is my choice for my truck where fresh batteries aren't always readily available. Like any choice, it all depends on what you'll be using it for.

DB-3W Sale:
http://www.quality-items-flashlight...light-bulb-fits-Maglite-3--4--5-or-6-C-D.html

pizzaman

Enlightened
In my application I narrowed it down to the EverLED, because there are so very few options for 2 cell lights.

Per the Flashlight reviews site, the EverLED has more throw and significantly more output. The only other 2 cell drop-in LED was unregulated and I would be loosing the constant high output.

Initially I was planning on favoring throw, but I am now leaning towards flood. I picked up a pair of mag 2Cs at Home Depot. I modded the purple mag for 3x123 w/6cell mag star bulb and sputtered reflector. Nice light. Maybe I need a more practical/utility partner for it. I'm now thinking the pewter mag should be a long running flood. EverLED takes care of the long running. It sounds like the side emitter might be the better flood solution.

Currently I have installed diffusing film (clear contact paper) on all my utility 3D mags and angle neck flashlights. Maybe the best solution is the lambertain w/diffusing film. Any thoughts?

TR (Wishing EverLED would finally drop the price on these bulbs so I can play with both)

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diamond has some bulbs with regulation, but they are not as flexible as the "1-6cell" Everled.

As far as high dome vs. side emitter- I have one of 3rd-shift's 3C magmods with side emitter. It is very useful around the house, and lives at my wife's side of the bed for her general use. I have an Inova X5 on my computer desk for my around the house use. I find that the flood beam is much more useful for this- for things like looking in the attic, looking under furniture, looking in cabinets, etc., basically anything close. I have plenty of other lights with throw in case I need to look for varmints in the back yard, so I grab them when needed, but usually the flood is what I need.