Fenix P1 Rocket pics now up!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to tell if those are photos or really nice CAD renderings.

I'll probably not have a use for this particular light (it'll never beat the FF3), but like all Fenix' so far, it looks like a very nice light for the money. I do like the head twisty instead of the tail. The ability to take Li-Ions is nice too. And also, it's the same diameter as the L1, and fully an inch shorter.

Hm, maybe I will get one. Especially if the natural HAIII is up to snuff.

Of course, it's begging for a multi-stage mod.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't know.............. maybe it's just me. It just yet another 3-watt luxeon, single CR123 cell light to the market. No multi-level, no dimming capabilities, etc. I'm not sure what there is to get excited about.

tron3

Banned
this_is_nascar said:
I don't know.............. maybe it's just me. It just yet another 3-watt luxeon, single CR123 cell light to the market. No multi-level, no dimming capabilities, etc. I'm not sure what there is to get excited about.

It's a Fenix, what more do you need? :p

No really, it's one of the smallest CR123 models, very bright, very portable, and they kept that sexy style we love. Heck, if I knew then what I know now, I may never have bought my other EDC's.

Just because some people don't like twisties, don't wish bad on the thing. To each his own. Maybe a poll on how people feel....:poof:

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I tend to agree. What about a 3 watter running off of 2 X AAA's? Basically a longer L0P with some heat sinking....Perhaps just a 1 watt in a 2xAAA tube -

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Note: 3.7V protected rechargeable Li-ion battery can be used for Fenix P1 and the brightness can reach up to 75 lumens. However, we don't suggest this non-civilian battery to be used, and we don't take the corresponding potential risk."
Planterz said:
The ability to take Li-Ions is nice too.

kbog

Newly Enlightened
Nice post. I'm looking for a new keychain light and this might be a good one. What are the price point expectations?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, its nice and small... its a Fenix without part of the tail.. If it had multiple brightness, it would be the perfect EDC based on initial looks/specs (pending further reviews) :p

I guess I'll wait for someone to mod it to a 2-stage at least... haha

Last edited:

2dim

Enlightened
I like being called a non-civilian, but I'm still cheap! Hope the price is low enough to compete with inevitable Chinese competion...maybe with momentary-on?

tron3

Banned
Hmm, just had an idea. Too bad this isn't a "click twistie".

Twist and click, low. Twist further and click, high. It could be engineered to be quick and smooth without over twisting.

carrot

Flashaholic
It's not especially good looking... but I can't wait anyway. I hope it's priced in line with the other Fenix lights.

Robban

Enlightened
carrot said:
It's not especially good looking... but I can't wait anyway. I hope it's priced in line with the other Fenix lights.
I totally disagree with you :D I LOVE the look of that thing. Depending on price and moddability I just might have to get myself one of these to replace my beloved QIII (no matter how many lights I get this seems to be the light I always go back to).

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
"No multi-level, no dimming capabilities, etc."

Correct, it only has it's small size going for it. And the FF3 is only 0.2mm longer with multilevel, strobe, etc.

"What are the price point expectations?"

I'd be willing to bet it will be over $55. The L0P is more expensive than the L1P even though it has no click switch. The P1 adds a 3W LED and a more expensive included battery.

"AAA's?"

A version with two AAA SIDE by SIDE would be more compact than this and fit the pocket a lot better being flat. I'd way prefer that to a longer 2AAA version. And the L2P would be better like that too. Lighter (it takes less material to cover the batteries), stable in the pocket (because it is flatter), and allow a larger reflector. But a 3W 2AAA may only have the battery life of a firecracker.

But back on topic, This will be a nice looking mass produced, yet still overly simple design (lacking momentary and multi stage) from a decent manufacturer. The FF3 IS the multi stage modded version of this light since they are only 0.2mm different in length and look very similar. I'm just waiting for a version of either with a compact momentary button.

C'mon Peak, step up here with a good competitor. Right now, I am only looking to buy multi-level lights unless there is some other compelling reason, or is less than US$25.

carrot

Flashaholic
Robban said:
I totally disagree with you :D I LOVE the look of that thing. Depending on price and moddability I just might have to get myself one of these to replace my beloved QIII (no matter how many lights I get this seems to be the light I always go back to).
I'm biased, of course. I think my A2 is the prettiest thing to pass before my eyes. :laughing: I never said the P1 was ugly, though.

xiaoyao

Newly Enlightened
I think The price of Fenix P1 will be under $50. Fenix won't let their price go far away

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1P : $42 with 1W led, 1AA battery, clicky
L2P : $45 with 1W led, 2AA battery, clicky, better regulator, more AL material
L0P : $47 with 1W led, 1AAA battery, no clicky, less material, just slightly harder to make electrics smaller.

P1 : 3W led - add at least $5
Regulation - add ~$3 similar to L2P?
Add $1 for more expensive battery included
Add ~$3 for Fenix being a more established and respected brand now.

So L1P = $42 + 5 + ~3 + 1 + ~3 = ~$54

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks pretty good,

I am with This Is Nascar though, there are many one level CR123A LuxIII lights around. Since I have RCR123's and chargers coming in the mail, can't help but wonder how hot it would run? The FF3 uses a copper heat sink and a low voltage LuxIII in an attempt to keep the light running cool. Throw one in your coffee to keep it hot in the morning?

david-me

Newly Enlightened
This light appears to be great for my needs as far as output and ability to use rechargables. But I think I would need a 2x123 light mainly because it would be a bit bigger?

I'm not so big on this "tiny" light as this torch is a long as the widthh of 3 fingers on my hand. I've never owned one this small but I would assume that in the "overhand" position that my pinky would get in the way. I believe I would need a light that is at least 80mm long ???
I realize that this lights main benifits are output and "pocketability"

Do others have issue with using such a small light?

Or am I just completely offbase with my thoughts?