best floodlight with 1 single led AA AAA

spykelight

Newly Enlightened
The title says about it all. I'm searching for a flashlight, what single led produces the best flood, preferably with a single AA or AAA battery ?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Arc AAA and AA, Dorcy AAA (old style), Infinity and Infinity Ultra, maybe some of the Peaks, and probably a bunch of others that will certainly be mentioned. By the way, welcome to CPF.

Geoff

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
spykelight wrote: "The title says about it all. I'm searching for a flashlight, what single led produces the best flood, preferably with a single AA or AAA battery ?"

Welcome to CPF......

But not so fast :p
it really depends on what you mean by "flood" -
I'll assume you mean wide-coverage -

if so, please take a look at this thread - with plenty of discussion -

Light Coverage - spill-diameter Pics

some of the measurements -

All lights with front bezel 12" away from wall

Light/ Diameter/ Angle/ Lens equiv on 35mm camera
Ray-O-Vac Lantern/ 43"/ 122deg/ 12mm (extremeWide - almost fisheye)
Streamlight Scorpion/ 36"/ 113deg/ 14mm (extremeWide)
SureFire 9P/ 26"/ 95deg/ 20mm (ultraWide)
Ultra-G/ 22"/ 85deg/ 24mm (very wide)
Dorcy 1AAA/ 21"/ 82deg/ 25mm (very wide)
ArcAAA/ 15"/ 64deg/ 35mm (semi-wide to normal)

So the fabulous classic ArcAAA (mine is circa 2003) was not as wide as the $6 Dorcy 1AAA, which in turn was almost as wide as the original CMG Ultra-G (don't know if the Gerber version has the same coverage....)

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the reasons I LOVE the Dorcy 1xAAA. It's a floody light that I bloody like!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been curious how much wider the flood of the present style 3 LED Matterhorn is compared to the first generation 3 LED Matterhorn. My old one has a pretty narrow flood due to the recessed LEDs. Anyone have both?

Geoff

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CR2ion would be a good single cell flooder with no hot spot; its uses a CR2 cell.
But if your term of flood means wide smooth hotspot which subtly blend in with the spill than you might like the ARC AAA.
The Fenix L0p would have a larger spill than ARC but with a bright hotspot.

Welcome to CPF. Great first post :thumbsup:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Ahahahahahaha.

Coast Led Lenser Digi-Tac I (David 15)
one AA, nice switch (tactical / positive), good regulation, awesome runtime, solidly built, brighter than an X5.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Another vote for the Dorcy 1xAAA by 1-5mm for $6. Easily found/replaceable.

If you can find one, try the Dorcy 1xAA by 3-5mm. Had a few. Loaned them out, only to become gifts. [inadvertently :awman: ]

Good Luck!

cmendoza

Enlightened
I have a Peak brass AAA light modded with a luxeon LED that is all flood! It's in buy/sell/trade currently!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why it has to be a single LED, but if you're willing to settle for a 3LED light, the Dorcy 1AA has a decent flood, a bit better than the 1AAA.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I like the Dorcy 1xAAA with reflector as well. Don't care for the tint, but still very useable.

Not sure why you limited options to a single led, but if not a biggie then consider the 8 led Xnova w/ 1AA. Got one from Lighthound and really like it. Dae sells it too. Bit bigger than the Dorcy, but really nice tint and output. Great value.

gunga

Flashaholic
Jetbeam Jet-u, it's a wicked flood light. Tiny and beautiful, but not cheap. It's a bit like an all flood version of the Fenix L0D CE. Not as efficient tho.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic