Narrowed it down to 2: U2 or L5?

Stevie P

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

Thanks to your help, I've narrowed down my decision to an L5 or U2....please help me decide based on brightness, beam quality, runtime, or any other variables I have not considered. I have to say that my concern with the U2 quality issues have me concerned and I might be able to get close to the flexibility with a 2-stage switch for the L5, right? Should I just go for an L2 and use the standard surefire 2-stage switch instead? Or an L4? There are way too many good lights!

Two additional questions: Which 2-stage cap/switch do I need (and where do I buy one) and can both the U2 and L5 take rechargeables (and which/where are the best ones to get?)

Or would you condiser a completely different option like a Gladius NightOps?
Thanks so much for an awesome forum!!! :goodjob:

Last edited:

ront

Newly Enlightened
Re: HELP PLEASE! : U2 or L5?

Hi Steve, welcome to the forums. If you were to do a search on my screen name (ront) you will see that I came here asking the same questions. I had an L5 being held for me, but ultimately I ended up getting the U2 from OpticsHQ. They have a great price(for CPF members) and are very nice people!
I compared the two and just liked the U2 better. There are some quality issues with the U2, but I don't think they are as bad as it seems sometimes. I do know that some have had a genuine problem, but Surefire will take care of you. For me the U2 is alot more versatile light. I like the way it feels in my hand better.
Here is a link to some beam shots taken by "nc987" that you may find helpful.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/105935
Which ever Surefire you get, do check out OpticsHQ. You will be glad you did.
http://www.opticshq.com/

Ron

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: HELP PLEASE! : U2 or L5?

Ront, will be familiar with this question: ;)

What wil you be using this new light for? Do you need multiple levels or will one suffice? How much light do you need to complete the task you want this light for? Do you want to use rechargeables?

For me, the U2 was a great choice. However, if I were to need a light to work with a handgun, I'd go with the L5. See, it's all about how you'll use the light. :devil:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have a similar beam, brightness and runtime on high.
The L5 is slightly smaller/lighter, but has only one level unless you buy an aftermarked switch, I think the Sandwich Shoppe might have them not sure though....

The U2 can use higher capasity 18650 cells while the L5 can use the smaller 17670 Li-ions for shorter runtimes. The U2 can use unprotected 18650s which are cheap and have the highest capasity (up to 2600mAh). It is more flexible since you can adjust the light level to your needs and enjoy very long runtimes on the lower levels.
Some of the issues that have come up with the U2 should apply to the L5 as well; I think the clickie is the same, doughnut issues should be equal and LuxV tints should be the same.

If you plan to use the light for shorter times on high the L5 is cheaper and a better choice.
If you need a light that can fill most of your light needs from dim to bright then the U2 is better. For outdoor use like camping and walking the U2 is better.

I have a U2 and wouldn't want to trade it for a L5 and cash...

The Gladius would be closer in functionality with the U2, but the beam is different from the L5 and U2; better throw, but less light in total..
It will blink every 15s (?) when used with a Li-ion, but will otherwise function well with a 17670.

A hard choice, but no real bad ones you can make. 3 nice (and expensive) lights..

Sverre

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
I also was debating between the U2 & L5 and ultimately ordered the L5 yesterday. I personally couldn't justify the extra $70 for the U2 and mainly wanted the light for its greater throw over the L4 I currently have. This light will mainly be used as a "things go bump at night" light, and the ability to use the 'Rogers' grip is definitely a plus!

My next purchase will probably be either the KL1 head (to put on the L4 body) or the "Surefire Outdoor" as having a dedicated 25 lumen camping light follows 'Keep It Simple Stupid' ;)