LRI proton pre order list now available

Haz

Enlightened
Just read on the Photon website, that the pre order list is NOW available to order the Proton.

[edit: updated time frame] Latest estimate is mid-late May.

[edit: More information added from Photon website]

Pre-order the new Proton single-AA handheld flashlight today and save 10%! Estimated arrival: mid/late-May.

The new Proton from from LRI packs 6 high output white LEDs (the same found in the new 2X brighter white Photon II & Freedom Micro) into a compact handheld light powered by a single AA battery. A seventh red LED provides an optional low power secondary beam. LRI's popular Freedom(R) digital circuitry provides intuitive one-button access to full-range brightness control and safety strobe functions for both the primary and secondary beam. With nearly 60 lumens of light ouput at full power, the Proton is among the brightest single-AA flashlights on the market.
  • Intuitive Single Button Operation - Even with gloves.<LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Smart Circuit
    • Electronic, instant full power On/Off at any time.
    • Independent full range brightness control for both White and Red beams.
    • 4 Safety strobe modes: Slow - Medium - Fast - SOS
    • Signal / Morse Code mode
    <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Super-bright regulated light output
    • 250 candle power, 1.4W (White)
    • 12 candle power, 150 mW (Red)
  • Easy Battery Replacement - Takes ANY AA size Lithium, NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride), Alkaline, NiCad or standard Carbon battery (Continual burn times vary depending on the kind of battery used).
  • Waterproof - Rubber O-rings allow for failproof use in all kinds of foul weather.
  • Detachable Clip - Easy on. Easy off. Includes filler snap ring when clip not in use.<LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Built Tough to Survive Serious Daily Use - precision machined aluminum body with Type III hard anodized finish.
  • Friction ridges for sure grip.

Maximum brightness all the way to the end.

Instead of dimming as the battery loses its strength, the advanced circuitry built into the Proton keeps the light at full brightness until the battery is almost completely dead. The Proton won't leave you in the dark, though. When the battery starts to near the end of its useful life, the red secondary beam LED will start to blink, indicating that the battery is getting low. When the battery has finally reached the point where it can no longer support the selected level of brightness, the light will finally start to dim slightly and the red secondary beam LED will come on continuously indicating the reduced power. At any point while the secondary beam is indicating low battery power, you may manually reduce the brightness which will turn off the low power indication until the battery again reaches the point where it cannot support the current level of brightness.

Weight:
42.3 grams w/ clip and Lithium AA battery.

http://www.photonlight.com/forum/about1296.html

http://www.photonlight.com/products/proton/

(i'm not affiliated with Photon or Proton)... just a flashaholic :grin2:

Haz :)

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Sorry, but I think the Proton missed the boat to continue to keep my interests. Not only is it way past the time it was really "needed" for the industry, it's not even what it was supposed to be to begin with. I also just read that you can start with the white LEDS in low-mode, without 1st engaging high-mode white. So much for a flexable interface. With all my multi-stage lights, I want them to come on low, then I can decide if I need/want to ramp up the brightness.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it had the same UI as the Freedom Micro in that holding the button from off starts it at the lowest level.

Haz

Enlightened
hivoltage said:
What the heck is it anyhow?

It is a regulated single AA flashlight, with a cluster of 5mm led, 6 whites and 1 red in the centre. It is made by the same people who make the Photon, and has the same or similar interface to the Photon Freedom.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
70 bucks for a light made in china.... ummmmm I don't think so sorry unless this light ends up being the end to all ends light. I"ll pass.

ok I shoved my foot in my mouth, I've ordered one for the white/red capability I hope it lives up to the Photon name.

doug

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
from shotshow, proton had a nice user interface. very compact light. Shotshow display area was too bright to tell much about beam.

do think proton missed critical marketing time by delaying production. but hey that's within cpf, not with mass market merchants like photon has inroads with.

proton.JPG

Last edited:

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
More accurately, it has the same interface as the Freedom Fusion, since it has the dual red/white selectable beam. Essentially the same as Freedom Micro except you can think of it as splitting the functions in half so that the primary (white) beam can be turned on at full brightness, adjusted downwards, and then access strobe functions, while the secondary (red) beam can be turned on at low brightness, adjusted upwards, and then access the strobe functions.

LRI is shooting for approximately 60 lumens from the 6 white Nichia LEDs powered by a single AA and from the looks of things should be pretty close to this figure with final production. I believe the Fenix L1P has been quoted at 40 lumens although it sounds as if this may be overly optimistic in many cases.

I won't get into the discussion of whether or not the light is worth the $70 or not since that topic has pretty much been beaten to death on our own site's forum. The Proton has been a long time coming and although there is a lot more competition out there now than there was a year ago, if LRI can indeed deliver a product that meets the high expectations they have set for it my personal (admittedly biased) opinion is that the price is reasonable.

paulr

Flashaholic
If it's $70 retail it will probably sell in the $45 range at places like Brightguy, which is not that much more than an L1p sells for today. The Proton is a much fancier light than the L1p and it's reasonable for it to cost more.

cy

Flashaholic
having handled both proton and fenix L1-P. my impression is fenix has hands down a much better beam. proton has advantage if you need multi-stage control.

but that's negated by EZ two stage mod for fenix.

proton's beam naturally will be floody due to multi led with no reflector. output seemed to be more like 25 lumen range.

luigi

Enlightened
In general I don't like multi-led lights, the beam is usually quite bad and the consumption per brightness ratio is not too good. I like the idea of a white/red hybrid but I'm not sure I want to spend $70 on it. Time will tell

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonLight said:
More accurately, it has the same interface as the Freedom Fusion, since it has the dual red/white selectable beam. Essentially the same as Freedom Micro except you can think of it as splitting the functions in half so that the primary (white) beam can be turned on at full brightness, adjusted downwards, and then access strobe functions, while the secondary (red) beam can be turned on at low brightness, adjusted upwards, and then access the strobe functions.

LRI is shooting for approximately 60 lumens from the 6 white Nichia LEDs powered by a single AA and from the looks of things should be pretty close to this figure with final production. I believe the Fenix L1P has been quoted at 40 lumens although it sounds as if this may be overly optimistic in many cases.

I won't get into the discussion of whether or not the light is worth the $70 or not since that topic has pretty much been beaten to death on our own site's forum. The Proton has been a long time coming and although there is a lot more competition out there now than there was a year ago, if LRI can indeed deliver a product that meets the high expectations they have set for it my personal (admittedly biased) opinion is that the price is reasonable.

Hi Bryan! Welcome to CPF!! We've had brief conversations over at your forums in the past. Just wanted to voice my appreciation at your coming over here to speak for LRI directly. Note that CPF is full of pretty tough critics! Overall, I think this is a good thing as it encourages better products to be made.

Keep in mind that a lot of folks here are "spoiled" by very high end production and custom lights in every flavor imaginable. People are already building lights around the Luxeon K2 which has only been available for a couple months. A huge amount of attention goes into the minute nuances of a reflector and what tint and beam pattern will result when shined against a white wall ;).

For me, I LOVE the features of the Proton, and I think that for what you get, the price is fair. That said, I may hold off until the second version because I do find that underdriven luxeons are much easier on my eyes than PWM Nichia CS LEDs for close up work (which is mainly what I'd use a dimmable light for). Still, I wish the product luck and look forward to what LRI comes out with in the future.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
paulr said:
If it's $70 retail it will probably sell in the $45 range at places like Brightguy, which is not that much more than an L1p sells for today. The Proton is a much fancier light than the L1p and it's reasonable for it to cost more.

Excellent !!!