greenLED goes to the movies...

greenLED

Flashaholic
...and brings along his SF L1. We enter the theater and it's pitch dark (eyes not dark adapted yet) so I whip out my SF L1 and hit "low"... and still can't see a thing, so I flash the "high" beam... ah! much better! We find our seats and all is well. Something that struck me was that, at short distances, I wan't disturbing the other people around us. It was great, nobody turned around and asked me to turn the light off. (maybe they just didn't want to do it, maybe they really didn't notice the beam?)

Half way through the movie, I use the light to navigate the last part of the way out of the room (greenLED had too much Coca Cola). I realize the L1 on low is plenty of light for me (eyes are better dark adapted than when I first came in).

After the movie is over, we sit in there as the credits fly by. I turn the L1 on low and shine it on the screen (theater's empty by now but they haven't turned the lights on yet). I can't see the beam. On high, though, the beam covers exactly the height of the screen (we were towards the back, about 25-30m away from the screen). Yup, I can see the square beam alright!

My son goes to the front and I flash him in the eyes (MrsGreenLED rolls her eyes). :grin2: Ah! what the greenFAMILY does for fun...

Lessons for me to remember:
  • Depending on how dark-adapted my eyes are, I may need to use more (or less) light.
  • The beam of the L1 is tight enough that I may use it without bugging people around me (at close range, provided I don't shine the light on their faces).
  • The L1 throws really well, for a light that size.
  • Next time, I'll bring along the U2. :devil:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
No no nononono. I just ordered an E1L... I do *not* need an L1 to keep it company! Good example of needing multiple brightness levels, green!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see good reasons for getting them both.

I knew that I wasn't the only one who made their wife go crazy with flashlights.

Good story. The U2 will definately be more fun!

-Goatee

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot, just get a 2stage aleph tail for it.

I brought a 2D mag w/luxIII S2J in it once. A few blasts on the screen durring commercials and people were making comments, but had no idea what happened. I was at the very back.

I need to bring my 2C cyan in there and use it to naviagte to my seat!! hahaha. muahha.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO this is one very positive point about those narrow optic-beams lacking spill ... you don't blind your neighbour with it. Very impotant when using the light in larger groups of people.

Had a similar experience when doing a night-hike with a KL3 ... while I don't like the beam, I appreciated the fact that I didn't get blinded by the light at all (my wife used it) while she got plenty in her face from my U2 ... :D

bernie

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its one of those uses I found the old X1 very useful for too, I always pop it in my pocket when going to a movie.

WNG

Enlightened
I agree regarding the projector beam lights. I decided to take along my RR 2AA from the car into the theater last time. The coming attractions were already on, so it was darkened and difficult to navigate.
I whipped out the RR and the beam was perfect, bright spot, no spill. Didn't blind anyone and found seats easily for my party.
Onlookers wondered what kind of light I had. The RR 2AA found its niche.

Steve77

Newly Enlightened
I like this thread. Finally a real use for the spilless wonder optic lights besides just impressing normal people with them. I haven't been to the movies in a while but if I go I'll have to remember to make one of my EDCs an optic. For some reason I never thought of the not-blinding-other-people-advantage that optics offer.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
No no nononono. I just ordered an E1L... I do *not* need an L1 to keep it company! Good example of needing multiple brightness levels, green!

Why don't you get a Mc2ES then you have an L1 in a smaller package.

-LT

carrot

Flashaholic
Lunal_Tic said:
Why don't you get a Mc2ES then you have an L1 in a smaller package.
IsaacHayes also suggested this... but it ruins the whole reason to buy another light! And the McE2S is getting increasingly rare.

wuyeah

Enlightened
I have the older version of the L1. I am suprisingly like it so much. For normal use, L1 is definately good enough.

What really bug me is........Why SF don't sell L1 TIR head seperately?? Huh.
I am just curious about comparing the 2 head, do I really HAVE to buy the whole light when they have the same body?? Doesn't sound so fair to me. Curiousity kills 95 dollar for sure. I am struggle weather I should buy a L1 TIR version since I already have E1L and a E2L body. I am just really curious about the 90 hours runtime. for throw it is more or less the same as E2L......

Low light rocks...i have always been finding a light with greater lumen, and i never thought I will be enjoy super low so much.

Luna

Enlightened
carrot said:
IsaacHayes also suggested this... but it ruins the whole reason to buy another light! And the McE2S is getting increasingly rare.

Just get the kit and use the tailcap and rubber boot from your E1L. I thought I wanted a built switch but once you realize what is up, it is not a big deal at all. It takes all of a minute to put together.

Right now I'm running the 60ohm board but I'd recommened you get a few of the others just so you can decide which you prefer. With a RCR123a, the 60ohm board has a low hot spot intensity just a little bit lower than the U2 on low. The main reason I got the higher level boards was so that I could decide which combo is best one once I increase the current on the KL1.

tattoou2

Enlightened
Speaking of movies and lights, the new "Poseidon" comes out in a few weeks. I think it would be pretty neat to be sitting in the back and when the rescue scenes come on, where the actors are using lights, to start throwing your lights' beams and strobes all over the theater. LOL!

Dang, time for my meds!

greenLED

Flashaholic
rscanady said:
greenLED, was this a modded L1 or the new L1P you got?
:stupid: I should clarify this is a SF L1, not a Fenix L1P (one of which is in my pocket, thanks to you!!) :thanks:

Max Brightness

Enlightened
As many, I love the narrow beam of the newer L1. When walking, I don't always want to spoil the darkness around me with a bright flood of light.

And when I want some flood, I attach the F04 beamshaper. I find it to be quite versatile.