You guys gave me flashight sickness.

Soniq7

Newly Enlightened
:rant: Greetings fellow photon enthusiasts,

BigMike here in Sacramento CA. I lurked too long and read too much and saw so many neat flashlights that I just couldnt stand it anymore. I decided to order the Brightstar 24w HID to add to my collection of fascinating devices. You know, the stuff you collect simply because its "neat". I chose the BS over the AE light strictly on price and the nice hard case that BS provides. I will let you guys know how it works out.

I did have a question about restarting a HID such as this, how long do you have to wait after its been shut down before you can try the old restartski?

Last edited:

thezman

Enlightened
Welcome BigMike.

It's funny how you can catch the bug over the net, isn't it. :grin2:

I had to use a whole roll of duct tape to keep my wallet closed. It looks like a big silver softball now. :laughing:

metalhed

Enlightened
:wave: BigMike

Yeah, I guess it's kind of a 'computer bacteria'...as opposed to a virus. :laughing:

To answer your question, HIDs usually need about a minute or so of off time between starts. Any less will cut the life of the bulb, I believe. I have a 10 Watt MiniHID, and I'm pretty sure that's what I read regarding re-starts.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
yeah, this place is killing me. I've so far limited myself to only what I have in my paypal account. Trying to figure out how to get like 300 in there to get a mclux.. :) slow going. time to find stuff to ebay.

welcome the club. all my friends think I'm weird that I read this site more than all the others now.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Restrike time varies from setup to setup. Check around, and in the meantime overestimate drastically. You don't wanna mess anything up too soon ;)

Welcome to the poorhouse!!

k1_

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about the sickness, but I think it's one of those things you come to manage.:laughing:

The re-strike time for my HID seems to depend on temperature. So when I'm out riding at night and the light is getting a lot of airflow, it will restrike within a very short time (10-20 seconds). But if I stop and let it heat up, it can take a while.

My solution is to also carry a high power LED light, which gets me through those tough minutes. (Didn't someone say to buy both?)

k1

ront

Newly Enlightened
Up untill I found this site, my wife said that I had a flashlight sickness. Now, even I have to agree with her:ohgeez:.

Ron

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
welcome fellow sickie. we should meet one of these nights and drive the neighbors crazy. im also thinking about a 24 watt hid and am curious how it compares to my m6.

Soniq7

Newly Enlightened
I figure the neighbors have had adequate time to become accustomed to bright stuff and loud noises emanating from my residence. First the motorsports and TIG welding, then electric guitars and my collection of vintage Pioneer receivers, and on to lasers and stray RF from the Ham station. I think theyre ready for a HID:sssh:

Oh, I forgot the potato cannon. I dont think they cared for it.

Last edited:

rfwjr

Newly Enlightened
Mini-Moder said:
CPF is the little devil on both shoulders telling you to "buy both"...

LOL..that statement is so true, but when it tells you to buy both it also throws in ..."OK you bought both what else can we buy." :sold: