2000 LUMEN SUREFIRE A REALITY

D

**DONOTDELETE**

From PK hiself:
http://discuss.surefire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=001135

2000 Lumens in a lithium 123 (90 minutes) or rechargeable (60 minutes)!!
shocked.gif

DSCN3244.JPG

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! I've seen this discussion already but this is the first word i've heard of it's runtime. 90minutes with 20 Cr123 batteries?!!!

At least there is a recheargeable feature, then i KNOW it would be worth purchasing. THanks for the heads up man!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be dreaming about that thing all night for sure! ohhhh....(think Homer Simpson looking at a hot-dog)
tongue.gif

But....wouldn`t surprise me if it were at least a dollar for every one of those Lumens it puts out- that`s certainly not a low-cost light!

I don`t suppose they give out samples to independant torch reviewers?
wink.gif

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

DArklite

Enlightened
Well, if they get a DOD contract for the military, I can only imagine what price the GSA would stock 123's for.
mad.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Did you guys see the other pics on his website though? This thing takes like 20 123 lithiums. It would cost like 100 bucks to feed the thing using wal-mart prices
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif

Looks cool though.....
cool.gif

eric

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Lightspeed. $100 to light up for only 90 minutes is just WAY too expensive.

Unless you're using the rechargable batteries (no doubt also expensive), they seem more of a collectors item than anything which will be used daily.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lightspeed:
...This thing takes like 20 123 lithiums. It would cost like 100 bucks to feed the thing using wal-mart prices...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It also states that it will take NiMh rechargeables. The 123A's give 2000 Lu/ 90min. The NiMh gaive 2000 Lu/60 min.

Gandalf

Enlightened
OK: just look at the SIZE of the thing! You *know* Surefire charges by both the inch, and the ounce. If an M6 is $275, *think* about how much this light is going to cost.

Probably less than a Maxabeam, but this is going to be one damn expensive flashlight.

And how big is a NiMH battery pack going to be that will run it for an hour? (Not to mention how much the battery pack, and charger will cost!)

I for one, have no desire to own this light.

I'd like to play with one for an hour, but seriously, 2000 lumens? You could probably strip paint with it, if you had an arc welding mask handy.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

And what was the % increase that Surefire has just jacked their prices?

For me, flashlight are both toys, and tools I take seriously. And I can't think of any circumstance where I would be able to use 2000 lumens. So it's not a tool. And the increased risk of skin cancer rules it out as a toy.
frown.gif

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
OK:
For me, flashlight are both toys, and tools I take seriously. And I can't think of any circumstance where I would be able to use 2000 lumens. So it's not a tool. And the increased risk of skin cancer rules it out as a toy.
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I missed something in this thread, but I didn't see anyone mention using this as a tanning light........
You failed to mention that swallowing it might cause suffication too....

CAUTION: Dropping flashlight may cause sudden foot pain.

This would be fun to shine at those planes coming in on final approach over the house
smile.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all,

everyone's talkin' about the output of this monster.. er, beast.. but any improvements in the durability of HID lamps in general? I remember the LED musuem's comments on the UK Light Cannon's HID fragile lamp...

don't remember seeing anything posted about the bulblife of this Surefire HID either.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel,

I think 3000 lumen at 10 Watts isn´t possible even with HIDs - any reliable source you got that from ?

I think even 1000 lumen would still be great for 10 watts - I would be highly impressed with 3000lu / 10Watts but think even PK can´t defy gravity - lets see

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel,

check out what Willie Hunt wrote

Also, it looks like we will be building lights with the Welch Allyn 10
watt metal halide, but with our own ballast that's regulated, has a
warning mode, and will be over 90% efficient, instead of the Welch
Allyn ballast's 73%. That equates directly to longer runtime and
better lumen output (keeps the approx. 330 initial lumens).

For those who want the maxium light output "The Beast" has a Phillips
Xenon Arc lamp with fully regulated ballast (input power 40 watts)
that puts out over 3000 lumens (bulb lumens). This is a staggering
amount of light for a "hand held" flashlight. It makes a car's
headlights looks really pathetic by comparison.

So it seems you got things mixed up a bit

Klaus

recercare

Enlightened
According to Welch Allyn 21W HID = 1500 lumens. So, it sounds correct that a 40W HID = 3000 Lumens.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
recercare,

yup - I just thought that 3000 lumens for 10 Watt sounded quite too good to be true
grin.gif

3000 lumens at 40W HID is still great

Klaus