The BedLight™

Darell

Flashaholic
That's right folks. A non-flashlight mod! With LED's no less. That's right - LEDs aren't just for flashlights anymore!

bedlight1.jpg

bedlight2.jpg

Each reading light is individually switched on the headboard. The blue uplight (single 3mm 320 Nichia) is very wide-angle and creates a perfect blue glow in the entire bedroom. The up-light is used as a nightlight until the entire system is switched off. The system is switched remotely with an X-10 module, so the nightlight can be turned on from downstairs - then the system can be turned off from either night stand.

The reading lights are Tri-clusters from BerkelyPoint.

Did I mention that I really like LEDs?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey,

You are a LEDHead!

Nice job!
icon14.gif

About this TM bidness.........................

Darell

Flashaholic
I freely tradmark everything that I name. There are probably what? 458 items with the name "BedLight" on the market already? I invite them to sue me.
smile.gif

Doesn't the picture make it look like I spilled blue paint on the wall above the headboard? taking pictures of LED light is a bit awkward, isn't it?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmmmm...I didn't think it looked like you spilled light on the wall, but then again, I'm a professional beam shot spectator...so I can spot a LED beam when I see one...

Brock

Flashaholic
Hummm, somehow I don't think Heidi (my wife) will let me do that. She does however have an x-10 controller on her nightstand and another x-10 switch box that lights up 3 nightlights; one on her nightstand, one on the floor and one next to the crib. This one she likes
wink.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've got X10...I've just pieced together my system, back when X10.com gave stuff away all the time mostly. Buy a lamp module get a keychain remote free...that sort of thing, so my remote is a credit card remote stuck on the wall, and you know what? It works perfectly! I put a bit of glow sheeting on the "on" and "off" buttons for my light. Perfect!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the picture make it look like I spilled blue paint on the wall above the headboard? taking pictures of LED light is a bit awkward, isn't it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll say!

royalblue.jpg

I think my camera needed therapy after this shot.
grin.gif
tongue.gif

-Darin

Darell

Flashaholic
My wife doesn't "permit this stuff" she simply "puts up" with this stuff. A subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Darin - What IS that blue light canon?! Damn.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
My wife doesn't "permit this stuff" she simply "puts up" with this stuff. A subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Darin - What IS that blue light canon?! Damn.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1W Royal Blue on a cheap Athlon HS.
grin.gif

What's the highest you can drive a 1W RB before it goes *poof*?

-Darin

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I'm genuinely curious! I'm running mine at 600mA.
I have some mad thoughts about dropping that heat sink in ice water, and slowly increasing the current...

Except I like that RB a lot!
tongue.gif

-Darin

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by evan9162:
Actually, I'm genuinely curious! I'm running mine at 600mA.
Except I like that RB a lot!
tongue.gif

-Darin
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Me too..
icon15.gif
-I've been running my RB Luxeon @ .5A for a long time now, and notice no heat problem at all-it's being used as part of a semi-"blacklight" headboard display. (picture darell's setup x10 (!) -using a blacklight poster).
cool.gif

I do check it's output occasionally with a light meter and haven't lost ANY brightness after an estimated 3500 hrs. minimum use.
icon14.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
so thats what I can do with all these CPU Heatsinks I have layng around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Time to make another luxeon order soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif