Need help picking a new flashlight.......

Choose one

• Option 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Option 3

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Option 4 (please add your suggestion and pick this option)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

clipse

Enlightened
So, I'm trying to decide on another flashlight to get. I want to keep it around the $150 mark and under. My thoughts have been:

Option 1-
Fenix L2T with TID from tadgear
Fenix E1
and 2x123 case for my HDS EDC U60

Option 2-
Surefire A2 Aviator

Option 3-
Surefire L4

Option 4-
?????????????(What ever you think)

I recently applied for the volunteer fire departpent so I would like to have a light that I can pocket that will work good for something like the situations I may get in. (many more situations than just putting out fires) I kinda want something on the bright end with good throw. I'm leaning more toward the Aviator with red LED's but I'm still undecided. Any help and/or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

clipse

Blazer

Enlightened
Lot of firefighters I encounter carry the Streamlight Survivor, and somehow they clip it perfectly to their turnout coat. Great handsfree light, good throw, rechargeable, and they can be seen from quite a distance on a road if they have to direct traffic till we get there.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say go for the A2. I find it can cover just about any situation. When you are looking at something up close, the floody LED beam works best, and further away, the throw of the incan works best most of the time. I'm taking mine on a canoe trip where we may be on open lakes in fog.
Plus, it is just such a nice light, you will be proud to own it.

pec50

Enlightened
Firefighters are moving to led appliances so take a good look at what the firefighters in your department are using and give the lights a try. Your initial role, as a "boot", will be largely support until you complete your training and have experienced a number of incidents. As your experience and exposure increase, so will your sense of what lights work well in these differing incidents. It is nervertheless essential you find an appropriately rated light for the environment you will be addressing. For example, if you intend to train for wildlands, then a helmet light with a broader beam is typical. Structural firefighting encourages an "explosion proof" light with narrow beam as it scatters less in smoke. You might also want to avoid metal bodied lights as they are good conductors of heat and you will be encountering temperatures that can be well in excess of 500 degrees if you go interior. You will also be wearing about thirty pounds of protective equipment and heavy gloves in a very stressful dirty environment, so the operation of the light's controls needs to be simple and intuitive, as in, on or off. Keep it absolutely utilitarian; your life is entirely dependent upon your training and equipment.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are flashlights especially made for fire department use. Beams designed to cut through smoke. flashlight itself is class 1 div 1 and/or div 2 explosion proof. Check out fire department vendor's websites. ( Sorry, I never bookmarked the ones I came across.) See also the Streamlight and UK websites.
The UK FIRE is the latest fire department specific flashlight I came across.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_fire.htm
If you look at the bottom of the Streamliight propolymer 4AA luxeon data sheet you can see all the explosion proof ratings (div 1... div 2---).
http://www.streamlight.com/4aapropoly_lux.htm

Alkaline batteries would explode if tossed into a fire. Lithiums explode with a lot less provacation. And the Aviator uses... (can't afford Surefires but I think most of them use 123A)
My boss once told me a story he heard over the car radio. A fire marshal was asked to check out a report of a gas smell. He ended up in the basement where the room light did not work. Without thinking he reached tnto his pocket then clicked his Bic...
Make sure the flashlight choose does not behave like that Bic.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello clipse:)

My option would be:

-SL 4AA PP Luxeon for your job, reliable and good waterproofed light with good throw and runtime, cheap (the price, not the light:))

and

-one of the Fenix lights for playing and to have fun

and

-the 2cell body for your HDS

At the end you will be in your price range and will get a lot for your money.

Best regards

_____
Tom

clipse

Enlightened
Long John said:
Hello clipse:)

My option would be:

-SL 4AA PP Luxeon for your job, reliable and good waterproofed light with good throw and runtime, cheap (the price, not the light:))

and

-one of the Fenix lights for playing and to have fun

and

-the 2cell body for your HDS

At the end you will be in your price range and will get a lot for your money.

Best regards

_____
Tom

I already have a SL 4AA PP Lux flashlight. :D

clipse