What do ya think?

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
This was a quick piece of advice on another forum for someone who was a flashlight rookie.

The basic rules of thumb for flashlights. JMHO

1. First basic light should be a well built AA powered light. Princeton Tec Surge is a great one. You use AA in GPS, GMRS radios, handheld CB radios, AM/FM radios etc.. Also, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a AA battery. Pick any 3 or 4 houses on your block and in a half an hour you could scavenge at least 10 or 12 AA batteries, try that with CR123A lithiums.

2. A rechargeable small LED for EDC and use around the house. I carry a Fenix L2P

3. Rechargeable large for bang in the night noises in the backyard, I use a MagCharger with a Welch Allen 1160 bulb, 500+ guilt free lumens.

4. Backup small but more powerfull CR123A powered light for room clearing tactical carry with pistol, I have a Surefire G2 Nitrolon and Streamlight TL-3.

5. A larger spot. GOOGLE Thor 10 million candle power, one of the ultimate flashoholic lights.

What do ya'll think?

mdocod

Flashaholic
I pretty much agree... but would say that any well rounded started collection should have a LED light that is "large" form factor that runs on a few big cells.. for LONG runtime in power outage situations... Like a Dorcy 3D 1W, or a Lightwave 4000.

There are many flashlights in each of those categories that would work nicely for a beginers well rounded collection.

I agree that everyone should own a thor. Just for the value... It may not be a very practical light, but it's great for impressing people, kids have a blast with em, and there isn't much that can break or go wrong with one that isn't user servicable. The fun factor alone is worth it.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
You know I thought of that after the fact, I have the Tri-Star Phazer for that arena.