Introducing the WQ-McG45 ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
Introducing my latest "monstruosity": The WQ-McG45 :naughty:

Yes, it looks like a normal M*g C with HAIII coating. By the real beauty lies inside:
IMG_6681.JPG

Everyone who has handed the awesome HD45 (by McGizmo) can attest that the 45mm reflector is the main reason the light is so awesome. Yes, the HD45 is heavy duty, has dual CC settings, and it is built like a tank, but the reflector is rather unique in that it gives good trow with an outstanding sidebeam.

What if "somebody" where to make this awesome 45mm reflector inside the M*g light?
IMG_6625.JPG

Of course, the reflector is so deep that standard heatsinks would not work here:
IMG_6626.JPG

For this to work "somebody" would have to figure out how to get the reflector to fit and would require a custom HS (heatsink), one that would also allow for electronics/regulators to be incorporated and/or resistors for DD (Direct Drive). Something like this:
IMG_6631.JPG

Of course, such a "solution" (sounds better than a hack, doesn't?) would have to deal with a different length for the switch & HS "module" and the holding ring:
IMG_6633.JPG

IMG_6634.JPG

Since this solution would also need a custom setup to perfectly align the emiters within the new HS, I created a "jig" to make this easier and perfect every single time I build one of these:
IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

This one light, being the prototype or proof of concept, I keep things really simple. I selected one of my tested W-bin 5W LED's, and used a 1 Ohm resistor in series for a nice, clean DD test bed with a target current of about 1 Amp or so. Here is the "battery pack", which is simply 2x18650 cells:
IMG_6661.JPG

and the current with the resistor in place:
IMG_6664.JPG

Final assembly:
IMG_6671.JPG

use some thermal grease inside the body and burnish some thermal paste on the HS (I learned this from overclocking computer CPU's):
IMG_6673.JPG

and put everything in place:
IMG_6679.JPG

IMG_6681.JPG

And my standard beamshot comparison. Canon Rebel XT, manual mode, F5.6, 2sec, on tripod.
- CR2 Ion - High:
IMG_5772.JPG

- Fenix L1P:
IMG_5774.JPG

Lumaray FL6:
IMG_6490.JPG

Lumaray FL12
IMG_6492.JPG

BOG 3W:
IMG_6600.JPG

Custom bored-out HAIII 6P, Aleph 19 head, UX1L DD on custom copper HS:
IMG_6601.JPG

BOG 5W:
IMG_5776.JPG

WQ-McG45 (W-bin at 1.1Amp):
IMG_6684.JPG

Will

flex76italy

Enlightened
:goodjob: and nice pics Will, but in the pic n° 6 (from top to bottom) the button switch is out of the hole, so my question is, you turn on the light with the twist of the tailcap?

ianb

Enlightened
another CPFer 'litemania' seems to stock them, at least he did a couple of weeks back, you can probably find him in the 'Dealers Corner' and PM/e-mail him.
The Sandwich Shoppe sometimes carry them and if you want 500 or more you can contact McGizmo himself :D

Ian :)

wquiles

Flashaholic
flex76italy said:
:goodjob: and nice pics Will, but in the pic n° 6 (from top to bottom) the button switch is out of the hole, so my question is, you turn on the light with the twist of the tailcap?
That was a "before" picture. Later pictures show that I solved that "problem" ;)

Mirage_Man said:
Sweet! Is that one of the M@S I did for you?

MM
No, that is an older one from FM.

ianb said:
Beat you :D...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/130940

but you have done a way nicer job! That heatsink is great, I just filed the lip off a hotlips type sink and pushed it down into the body. I'm only driving at .75A's too, that looks awesome at 1.1A! How hot does it get?

Actually, not quite :grin2: . I have posted about doing this back in Nov 2005 as shown here . But, you did beat me in assembling one first ;) . I have started working on my custom parts back in May of 2006, but did not finish assembling until today. I guess great minds do think alike ;)

As to temps, I don't know yet as it is still daylight and I have only played it today doing some short runs. I will do a "long" run tonight and let you know ;)

Will

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
I was only kidding :), as I said you've done a proper job, nicely put together, I was just excited by the end results. The inside of mine live up to looking like my first mod project :( , but hey it works great :) with that trademark McR-45 beam, I love it :D

That heatsink is very nice are you going to produce these?

wquiles

Flashaholic
ianb said:
I was only kidding :)
Of course dude, no worries. I was also kidding - you still got there first, and your solution was simple and effective ;)

I made two of everything, so I have parts to make one more complete flashlight. I can probably work with somebody to make these custom HS's out on a CNC machine as doing them by hand like I do would be too expensive :rant:

Also, on a "C" light, to use the 18650 cells, the reflector and the body also need to go in the lathe to make them fit (there are a lot of steps/custom work I omitted in these pictures), so having the custom HS's only gets you partially there.

Then, as you and I know well, getting the 45mm reflectors is getting much, much harder lately :mad:

Will

Last edited:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
WQ, you did an awesome job ! I how you always finish things up very nicely...!

Keep up the good work !

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
adding an LDO^3 which is as small as 10mm across will get you regulated output from the same light :-D Nice stuff as always will, thanks for sharing!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job Will. :twothumbs ... but in your next light you should use the MaxFlex driver. :)

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thank you guys - very humbling :eek:

Freddy - For 2x18650 the MaxFlex will not work (like the Fatman it needs lower voltage than the vf), but the MaxFlex is in fact "the" driver to have for the 1C versions of this light that I will be making - 1x18650 cell powering a W-bin 5W LED with multiple levels @ 1Amp max - this is going to be awesome :naughty:

The nFlex would be great for a single 5W LED from 2x18650 cells, except it is way, way too large for a 1C, specially the confined space of this solution. If the nFlex were available in the same form factor as the Fatman or the MaxFlex, that, like they say, would be a different story ;)

Will

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice looking mod. Also reminds me how lucky we are that Don sells all his reflectors
to anyone that wants one. Nice job

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
Freddy - For 2x18650 the MaxFlex will not work ...

Of course you can't use the MaxFlex in this light because it's single led… :ohgeez:
Looks like I'm suffering from the TL syndrome… :lolsign:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang! That is awesome.... I'm sure that light crushes any U2.... w-bin @ 1.1A! :D

wquiles

Flashaholic
jar3ds said:
dang! That is awesome.... I'm sure that light crushes any U2.... w-bin @ 1.1A! :D
Yes, this is a much nicer beam, and brighter, than my W-bin U2. The beam from the 45mm is simply awesome. I did a 10-15 min run of this initial prototype unattended and when I got to it it was warm, but still very confortable. About 1-1.1A is perfect for the 5W and the "C" size M*g :naughty:

As an update to those who showed interest, I am now working on getting additional parts so that I can build a few of these for sale. I will be working with MirageMan to use his really hard/tough HAIII bodies to offer turn-key lights (you just need your own batteries), as a light this nice trully deserves a HAIII body ;)

Will

Last edited: