mini-MagLED 2-AA Moonlite Mode

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Last night I did a run time test until the light complety shut off by the regulation circuit (4 hours w/supplied Duracells). I then let the light sit for about an hour and turned it on again and got about 10 minutes of additional decent light before the unit again shut down. I let it sit for about another hour. I then turned the light on again and it stayed lit in moon light mode all night long until this monring.

I'm wondering if the regulator circuit has some sort of low voltage level where the regulation ceases and it then permits the juice to flow to the LED.

Has anyone encountered this behavior?

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
An alternative is to take out the batteries, beat them against the wall or the floor and put them back. This will give you 10 more mins.

clipse

Enlightened
After I did my runtime test I shut the light off for about 15 seconds and turned it back on, I got about 20 seconds of good light and then moon mode.

clipse

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
In retrospect, I'm kind of regretting my purchase of this light due to the "sudden death" issue with the regulation circuit. I wanted to use this light as a dog walking light and I'm concerned I can't trust it without keeping a useage log so that I remain below the 4 hour interval with alkys.

I am planning on sending Mag an email expressing my concern for this light.

I'm also trying a quick runtime test with energizer 2500mah recharegables AA's. I'm now 3.25 hours into the test and still going. My philosophy might be to recharge perhaps ever few days of walking the dog.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of odd that you should mention going to NiMH batteries because of your disappointment with the lack of diminishing brightness. Because that is pretty much what NiMH and NiCD batteries do with many LED lights, as do the protected LIon batteries. I just keep either a spare light or spare batteries available for such situations, though I usually recharge the batteries at frequent enough intervals that they don't just drop off.

Bmccue1964 said:
In retrospect, I'm kind of regretting my purchase of this light due to the "sudden death" issue with the regulation circuit. I wanted to use this light as a dog walking light and I'm concerned I can't trust it without keeping a useage log so that I remain below the 4 hour interval with alkys.

I'm also trying a quick runtime test with energizer 2500mah recharegables AA's. I'm now 3.25 hours into the test and still going. My philosophy might be to recharge perhaps ever few days of walking the dog.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
That's true, but at least I can follow a charging plan so I don't have to guess-t-mate the remaining life.

Coming up on 4 hours by the way with the Energizer 2500mah batts.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is a light that you'll be using every day, that's not a bad path to follow, and it is the kind of usage where rechargeable batteries work best and are most cost effective.

Bmccue1964 said:
That's true, but at least I can follow a charging plan so I don't have to guess-t-mate the remaining life.

Coming up on 4 hours by the way with the Energizer 2500mah batts.

Solar Wind

Newly Enlightened
I usually carry 3 lites. One for flood style use, one for super throw, lastly a little dorcy 1AAA (old style or new black).

This gives me enough versatility to handle almost anything I would need to iluminate.

funeralplanner

Newly Enlightened
Bmccue1964 said:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe runtime should be 4hrs. If you don't want to change out batteries often, I would go with the 3 watt 2D cell or a 1 watt if you want longer runtime. The MMLED isn't for everyone. You might be better off with a 3AAA 1 watt?