CREE in MAG MOD ???

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSM has a great thread comparing the xr-e to some other lights.

Has anyone tried a cree in Mag with heatsink and Mag Head yet??

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
russtang said:
Anyone beat him to it??

I'm tryin', I tryin'! Problem is it takes 10 to 30 days to get anything shipped here. Have the Mag ready, the McR19 reflectors are here, MaxFlex board delayed and the XR-E LEDs have shipped. MinimagLEDs have not made it to my side of the world yet so I'll have to ship those in also. :(

butcher_block

Newly Enlightened
please god tell me this means theres hope for my 6 cell
its a C cell and i love it but want more and not ready for a M@G 85 or somethin like that

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
I'm tryin', I tryin'! Problem is it takes 10 to 30 days to get anything shipped here. Have the Mag ready, the McR19 reflectors are here, MaxFlex board delayed and the XR-E LEDs have shipped. MinimagLEDs have not made it to my side of the world yet so I'll have to ship those in also. :(

If you are in Texas as your name suggests I got mine at Home Depot 1 1/2 months ago. I'm in Dallas.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the clear dome lens around the XR-E die can be cut down and re-polished? What's it made of?
The MJLED that was cut down had a much wider dispersion angle than the uncut version so I'm thinking that perhaps a cut down XR-E would be more lambertian like.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure it's glass, probably a hollow half sphere filled with silicone. Not unlike the Luxeons.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Luxeon domes are acrylic or some other plastic with relatively low melting temperature.

Don't ask me how I know this.

1idjack

Newly Enlightened
The Cree XR-E is indeed a hollow hemisphere filled with silicone. One that I received from cutter had "leaked" some silicone and let in some air. By pressing on the dome I could clearly see the flexible silicone moving around inside. Edit: I should have removed the dome for a closer look before posting this. See https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1690386&postcount=17is

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try soon. Based on a cree UV in a mag I'm guessing the hotspot will be smaller than a luxeon3, with a sharp drop off not much feathering/corona, and have a dark ring around that, followed by very saturated sidespill. I do not know if enough light will be captured in that small hotspot to out lux a luxeon3 U-bin or not. With the added flux it might, but I'm going to guess the emitted light in the hotspot is far from being optimally collected.

Also I'm thinking that the o-sink/etc would actually need to raise the led farther up for full range of focus.

I'll find out sometime (got a xre coming) but someone else may beat me to it.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for confirming 1idjack. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part that the dome could be easily modified.
Oh well. Win some, loose some.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
even if the dome was filled down, or even removed, it wouldn't do any good since the metal package is what really obstructs the die's side light since the die is so deep down inside it. The lens/dome on the cree doesn't really focus much light like a 5mm led dome does. It may have some affect but not like a 5mm dome...

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
1idjack said:
The Cree XR-E is indeed a hollow hemisphere filled with silicone.

I completely destroyed (on purpose) one of these to see how they are assembled (for modding purposes). The hemisphere is solid glass that sits above the die and that's how it gets its 75 degree viewing angle.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
MM: wow, cool info. So it's like an aspherical lens? Like a half a marble like? With the silicone, it would eliminate the light bending properties though I would think of the dome.. Kind of like if you put a 5mm led in water, the lens no longer focuses because there isn't air around it causing the light to bend differently...

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it's like a tiny half marble. The light refracts when exiting the dome into air which gives it's diffusion pattern. 5mm LED's work with the same concept except the distance from the emitter is a little more and therefore the focus becomes tighter.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put one of the XR-E's in a mag tonight. It will focus tighter then a Lux III but did not seem as bright running from 3 D batteries??

I'm not sure if it's because of the brighter side spill or what. I am more impressed with some of my smaller lights with smaller deeper relfectors or the 8 degree optic for the XR-E. I still like these LEDs alot!

Maybe someone else will do this also to see what their results are. I think the reflector is not deep enough to take full advantage of the XR-E's abilities.

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can pick some up on the next round of LEDs.

4sevens has my KC1 so I hope to see it compared to some really awesome lights.