ARC AA FLASHLIGHT: still for sale somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

22hornet

Enlightened
I've always had this craving for products that are no longer available...
Is there still a source where one can find a new ARC AA ?
I know the chances are slim, but you just never know, don't you?

Kind regards,
Joris

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't find a "new" one, but you can probably find a like-new one by watching the B/S/T forum or posting a request there.

arc0002.jpg

peace

22hornet

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
Hornet, I just got two Arc AA's from this guy...

http://torchreviews.net/

A bit pricey, but it depends on just how much you want one I suppose - I felt it was worth what I paid for mine (never carried, came in original bags with cards).
smile.gif

CFU
Thanks for the reply!
You are right. As Greenled said: be prepared to pay 65USD... I would certainly pay that amount for a NIB, but the price of Torchreviews is really absurd: £45 for a last model ARC AA without original packing.
That's 67.50EUR or some 82USD! :whoopin: :toilet:

Compare that with some NEW EDC flashlights:
- Surefire E1E: 79USD (LA PoliceGear)
- Peak Kino Bay: 69.95USD
- Peak Kilimanjaro 7led UB: 49.95USD
- Peak Rainier: (from 109.95 to) 82.45
- double the price of a new ARC AAA-P

I'd rather get me a new CMG Infinity Ultra and wait patiently untill ARC produces the AA again... :sssh:

Kind regards and thanks for the info,
Joris

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather get me a new CMG Infinity Ultra and wait patiently untill ARC produces the AA again...

Yeah, but people have been waiting several years and nothing has materialized (apart from some Arc AA box's that went out with AAA's in them because the project was shelved again).

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1623292&postcount=15

Like I said, it's worth it to some folks, not to others.

CFU

Edit: just noticed you already have an X1.
ohgeez.gif

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I have a mint Arc-AA... are you telling me without the little ziplock baggie it's not worth as much? (No, it's not for sale...)

22hornet

Enlightened
carrot said:
I have a mint Arc-AA... are you telling me without the little ziplock baggie it's not worth as much? (No, it's not for sale...)

Frankly? No.
No offense, Carrot, but if one pays a premium price, it think it should be NIB.

Kind regards,
Joris

carrot

Flashaholic
No offense taken. I was just a little surprised at the idea that the original packaging added value, especially if the new owner means to take the light out of the packaging and use it.

22hornet

Enlightened
carrot said:
No offense taken. I was just a little surprised at the idea that the original packaging added value, especially if the new owner means to take the light out of the packaging and use it.
You are right, but, as I see it, if one demands a ridiculous price, it should be in a ridiculously new shape.

carrot

Flashaholic
22hornet said:
You are right, but, as I see it, if one demands a ridiculous price, it should be in a ridiculously new shape.
Actually, when you put it that way, it's pretty hard to argue... :D

paulr

Flashaholic
I remember there was a huge run on Arc AAA's after Arc LLC shut down. Run of the mill used ones were selling for $60 and more. I had a NIB (i.e. never opened) unit that I didn't get around to selling but eventually sold it for $35. I don't think any of the buyers really cared that it had never been opened, which sort of surprised me.

Anyway, AA's have stayed in demand, they're sort of a unique light and those other ones mentioned are not really the same. The prices mentioned don't surprise me that much. You have to understand that this is sort of like buying a rare old postage stamp that collectors are willing to pay a lot for. That you can buy a brand new but different stamp at the post office that will work just as well for mailing letters is not of much relevance to what the rare stamp is going to cost if it's the one you really want.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Well in case you are interested i have an arc AA modified with lux. Its been sitting in my drawer for a while so should go to a good home.

PM me if interested.

22hornet

Enlightened
ARC AA versus Peak Kilimanjaro

Should the Peak Kilimanjaro 1led HI be a good alternative for the ARC AA ?:sssh:
As far as I know the regulation on the ARC is better and the Peak dims from minute one.

Thanks for any thoughts on this comparison.
Keep well.
Joris

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the "hi" will be about the same brightness as the Arc if the "hi" is using new high-efficiency leds. Peak's "hi" runs at lower current than Arc used by the old leds were less efficient. Peak's regulation style is different from Arc's; yes Peak does start to dim earlier, but their circuits gives a very long dimming "tail". I tested a Peak Matterhorn (1AAA, not AA) and it produced light for something like 4 days nonstop, though it was very dim near the end.

There is also the matter of styling and the light tail. I believe the Kilimanjaro uses Peak's removable keychain post. It is functional but for some reason I have always found it unattractive. I also think the Peak's knurl bands don't look as good as the Arc. But the Arc's tail stand is a bit fiddly to use. Anyway, these are fairly secondary and subjective issues. But such issues are presumably why you're interested in an Arc in the first place, instead of buying a Gerber Infinity Ultra and being done with it. So they need to be considered.

I think I'd advise the Ultra power of the Kilimanjaro instead of the Hi, unless you have a serious long runtime fetish. An AA cell has quite a lot of energy for a single led like this and even the ultra power version will run for quite a long time.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wished that ARC would make a AA with a Lux. I really like the look of the ARC AA, but paying more than $20 for a single 5mm light is incredibly stupid when you consider what else is on the market right now. I guess an old ARC AA is kind of a collectors item, but it has less output than the 50 cent (shipped!) keylights from fifthunit. If only it used a nice SXOH lux, then it would be awesome!

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I DO have an Arc AA New in Box, It is in the little zip lock baggie still attached to the little cardboard piece. I know it sounds nuts but I have to agree this probably adds $20 or more to the price of the light for that plastc and cardboard. Talk to people that collect antiques and they will tell you the packaging is extremely important for resale value. I am not selling, I am a collector and it is important to me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.