How to transfer bookmarks from one CPU to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The subject line says it all...how do I transfer my bookmarks (favourtites) from Internet Exploder from this computer to the new one I got for Christmas yesterday?

I can network the two computers together so I do not have to fuss with floppies or their 1.44MB size limitation.

I might have more ?s later, but this is it for the time being. :)

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
In your IE folder there should be a subfolder for favorites. Simply copy this folder onto a disk and transfer them back over...

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
C:\Documents and Settings\*yourusername*\Favorites

Just copy the contents of that folder to the same place on your other computer.
If you are using Firefox, I think it even have an export import function.

~John

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also for FireFox, look at their extensions (now called Tools/Add-ons) and you can find a bunch of tools to manage your bookmarks (including sharing bookmarks between computers and even the web).

-Bill

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a USB flash drive, use that! (if you dont have one, look into one, they are handy!!)

And yes you can network them. If you have a router or switch then just plug them both into that, and turn on windows file sharing, and make sure they are both using the same network name (like MSHOME or whatever), then right click on the one's hard drive you want to make shared and select sharing, and turn it on/etc. Then you can go to the new computer and pull off files from the other one.

If you don't have a switch/router/hub then you can use a cross-over cable and hook it from one pc to the other, but you probably don't have a cross-over cable handy... (just wired differently than a normal straight through network cable).

greenLED

Flashaholic
In FF, go to Bookmarks|Organize Bookmarks and then select File|Export. Copy the file to your other computer and using the same process import the bookmarks file.

Alternatively, you can use the Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer Add-on; it uploads your bookmarks to a server and then synchronizes them across computers (assuming you have FF and the add-on installed, that it). It's worked wonderfully for me.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I use IE most of the time; that's what the bookmarks are for.

I'll be going offline for a short time now, so I can transfer all of my stuff to the new computer...BBS...

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll certainly second the idea of a cheap, (less than $10?) usb flash drive.
The once huge and mighty 128-512 megabyte units are really really cheap now.
Some are almost free with a rebate, or being at the right place at the right time.

FTP?
Now that might be a good way to do it too. ;)
I honestly had never looked at it that way before.

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
I'm now on the new computer, but I still need to transfer my email (almost 1GB) and my spectrometer programs.

Thats where Gmail comes into its own. 2.8 GB (currently) of free storage, so no need to worry about backups of email, or transferring from one PC to another.

www.gmail.com

edit: If anyone needs a Gmail invite, please send me a PM.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was not able to transfer the email; the file was just too large (just over 1GB). And the spectrometer does not run on the new computer, so it will be staying on the Dell along with my email.

Needless to say, I'll be going offline for a time while I switch the physical positions of these two computers.

As for what's in this computer, the CPU type is not yet known, I was told it has a dual warp core...er...uh...dual core, and has a system clock speed of 3.20GHz.
I believe the main hard drive is at least 85GB; the secondary HD is at least 3GB.

Last edited:

watt4

Enlightened
make sure you have all your website logins and passwords (and email passwords) written down somewhere when you change computers. many people get used to using stored logins (in the browser cookies), then they forget the real passwords.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
You ought to be able to connect your two computers as a network. That's the easy way to transfer data.

If you use a router for internet access, and have both connected to the router, then each computer should be able to see the other on the network.

If you have dial-up internet then you can connect the ethernet ports together with a crossover ethernet cable.

By the way, you can transfer I.E. favorites by using the Export function of I.E. on the old computer which will create an html file containing the favorites. Then use the Import function on the new computer. The Import function will merge the transferred favorites with any that may already exist on the new computer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried connecting the two computers as a peer-to-peer network, but it would appear I need a crossover cable, which I do not have.

I did get my email working on this computer a little while ago today, but I still have not yet gotten the spectrometer working (I do not have the installation CD; just the software driver CD), so I may have to keep it connected to the other computer and move the cable modem to the other computer every time I take a spectrum so I can upload it - the new computer does not have a 3.5" floppy drive so I can't just transfer them to this computer that way.

Most everything else I use regularly or must have access to has been successfully transferred to this computer; so there will be no "down time" for updates to my website other than spectrographic analyses.

Status
Not open for further replies.