What did I do wrong now?

Greta

Flashaholic
I'm hoping someone here can tell me what the hell I did now...
icon3.gif

Once upon a time, I used to be able to right click on any image I found on the web and I could save it "as is". (thus I was able to save many an animated .gif) However, about two weeks ago I noticed that everything was saving in .bmp format and the animation was gone. I tried to save it in .gif format but could not. The option was not there and could not be forced. Mind you, these are images that do not pop up the image tool bar when the cursor is over them. And now that I think about it, it has been a long time since I've seen that little toolbar. It shows up on very few images that I run across.

So what setting did I inadvertantly change for this to happen? How do I change it back? What am I doing wrong?!?!?
bluesigh.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sasha:
Mind you, these are images that do not pop up the image tool bar when the cursor is over them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Huh???
What image tool bar?

EDIT: Oh, that tool bar. I think that's for JPG's only...

Greta

Flashaholic
logic... no, it's for any kind of image. I think it has to do with how the image is uploaded to the webpage it's showing on. The images that do not show an image toolbar... you also can not "save target as...". This is very puzzling to me.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Sasha,

I take it you use IE so I am not familiar with the "tool bar" as I'm still using Netscape. However,
do you have the option of viewing the image in a new window? If so, perhaps then you can save it in its native format? I have noticed that there are some sites that have put in some type of code to protect their content so a right click gives me a copyright message or something.

I would also think that if you viewed the source code, you might identify the location of the image you were after and maybe be able to bring it up by itself in the browser.

You might want to try browsing the site with Netscape
grin.gif
twak.gif

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic
Ha! girls. What do THEY know about computers?

Swoosh! Did I get the Nomex suit on in time? Doubtful.

As far as I know, you're out of luck on saving images that *don't* pop up the toolbar. In fact, I've had luck using that tool bar when a right-click wouldn't work, but not the other way around. But I'm even more sure that somebody else who actually knows something will chime in here and solve this little myster. Probably a girl, in fact.

grin.gif

* Please note: No actual girls were harmed in this procedure. I am fully aware that Sasha is NOT a girl and is in fact a woman. A strong woman with a cop for a husband. A woman who could virtually (and quite possibly physically) crush me like a bug. Yes, I thought it would be funny to poke fun and run. We'll see how that works out for me.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha,

Try deleting your temporary internet files, I remember reading somewhere that when the temporary file gets to a certain size it restricts all images to .bmp format to save disk space.

Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files

JohnG

Enlightened
Could you post the url of a graphic that you can't copy?
I've not had the problem so an example would help.

If right click is disabled on a certain site, I usually use a screen capture utility to get around it.

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Sasha,

I assume you use Win XP?

Locate the Internet-Icon on your start-menu.

Right-click, choose "Internet-Properties", choose the tab called "advanced".

Scroll down to "multimedia", it´s just below of "Microsoft VM".

In my *german* WIn XP, the 4th setting from the top in "multimedia" is "show picture toolbar ( requires re-boot)", at least that´s what I guess it says when I translate it from german to english
smile.gif

Make sure it is checked.

Hope this helps!

Seth

mc

Newly Enlightened
Right mouse click on a pic, like Darell the cow…
-Save picture as…
-Save as type (click on arrow button to toggle between Gif and Bmp.
-Save..
-Maybe the last you use, will default to, next time.
(I do not have the box checked as Seth mentioned, that would make the tool bar work, as Seth explains)

Greta

Flashaholic
A woman who could virtually (and quite possibly physically) crush me like a bug.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is this an implication that I might be FAT?!?!? (ok, well I am... but only I can say I am)...
imubashing.gif

Seriously though... notice the image I just posted of me smashing Darell like a bug. It's animated. Once upon a time, I could just right click on that image from Crack's Smilie's page and it would save as a .gif and be animated. Ya know when you right click and click on the "save picture as"... you get a pop up window for the option as to where to save it on your hard drive and what to name it and what format to save it in... well I get all that but the only format ("save as type") that I get is .bmp... I can't save it any other way regardless of what format the image is that I'm trying to save is in.

I've tried restoring all of the defaults on my internet options on IE. I've tried everything I know. This is a recent problem. I've never had it before. And I haven't changed any of my settings either.

Geez... does any of this make sense?? Is B@rt around? I think he might know what I'm talking about.

Oh... and one more time for Darell...
imubashing.gif

wink.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
I was posting while everyone else was... hang on while I try to clear the temp files.

I already checked the "show toolbar" option. That's not the problem.

BRB

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmmmm...did I see a
whip2.gif
??

It won't work for animated gifs, but another way to steal...er...aquire images is to use your print screen button. Hit print screen, open your 100% legal copy of favorite image editor from a company who uses the same name as a popular house building medium, open a new document (Brick's Picture Store is smart so it'll already be the right size) and hit paste...look! A screen shot, use the crop tool to crop the image and save for web...

If all else fails, there's always Linux
tongue.gif

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Just a second thought...

It could be that all *.gif files are not anymore associated with the proper program.

For Instance, if you have installed any picture-viewing software, like " ACDSee" or something that came with a scanner or a digicam, those programs tend to "grab" all kinds of file-types, like *.gif, *.jpg and so on.

If you think this could be, try the following:

Open your windows-explorer ( not internet-explorer ). I mean the program you manage your files with.

Click the icon for your hard-disk ( for example C: )

In the menu-bar of this window, choose "extras".

The last entry in this menu should be "folder-options", at least that´s what I´d translate it from german
grin.gif

Click it, now choose the tab "file types". This can take some seconds.

Scroll down to the entry "GIF".

Click it. You should see below something like "details for the extension "GIF"" and a little more below it should say "Open with: Windows picture- and faxviewer".

If it says something different, and you´re brave enough, click on "change" and choose "windows picture- and faxviewer" from "recommended programs", click ok.

Hope I didn´t confuse you too much
smile.gif

Seth

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Sasha,
I'm here...
winkie.GIF
tongue.gif

Yeah I know what you mean, I've had that same problem a couple of times...
frown.gif

I never found what caused it, but I just reinstalled IE. Not the most elegant solution, but, in my case at least, effective.
icon15.gif
grin.gif

Other than that, I'm clueless.
icon3.gif

ps, if you decide to reinstall, don't forget to copy your Favourites folder...

Greta

Flashaholic
In the IE options, I don't see a setting that will automatically do this after a user set time period. Is there a way this can be done?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">gee.. go to the advanced tab (internet options). Scroll down to the Security options... you'll see the option to Empty Temp files folder when browser closes. That should do it. I think I'm going to set mine to that too. Can anyone give me a good reason for keeping all of that crap anyway?
icon3.gif

Now... will x-ray get a squeaky toy from you?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No... he gets a new waterbed...
winkie.GIF
grin.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sasha:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Now... will x-ray get a squeaky toy from you?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No... he gets a new waterbed...
winkie.GIF
grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nah I get seasick
icon15.gif
grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always avoid this problem altogether by using Mozilla (and prevent all popups/unders from even starting to open). Of course you have to have an ISP that doesn't require a proprietary interface, like AOL or MSN do.

I have never had a problem with Mozilla.

http://www.mozilla.org/ if you are interested.

Greta

Flashaholic
YES!!! I fixed it!
banana.gif

x-ray... that was the problem! I ran a disk cleanup and all is well now.
grin.gif

Did I ever tell you guys how awesome you all are? (with the exception of Darell... who said I was fat...
whip2.gif
)

hugs.gif
all around! And thank you all for your input!

Seth... just wanted to let you know that your posts were very clear to me and I understood them perfectly! Thank you...
grin.gif