A Major step Forward: LPS' new Compact Turbohead for SUREFIRES

brightnorm

Flashaholic
A Major step Forward: LPS\' new Compact Turbohead for SUREFIRES

In the thread "Surefire Turbohead Disappoints" I expressed my surprise and disappointment with what seemed to be less than ideal performance of my D3 using the 2.5" KT2 turbohead, especially when compared to my old 3" (T1/T2) turbo. There were many responding posts including Ken J. Good who said:
"I have told folks for years that this (the 3" turboheads" ) was the hidden treasure of the SureFire product line. Not too many believed." Well Ken, now they do.

When LPS recently announced their "New Compact Hybrid Turbo-Head D3" the SRD3 (The SRTH is the Turbohead and LA assembly alone, without the D3), after my experience with the KT2 I was skeptical, to say the least, but since it's not fair to prejudge a product, especially one from a usually reputable source I decided to buy one and comparison test it. I apologize to my Flashaholic colleagues for my lack of a digital camera.

Tests were conducted 20 Feet from a smooth white surface using a fully charged Ultrastinger and a SF D3 with N2 105 Lumen lamp. Fresh Surefire 123's were postdated 2011. Observations were non-instrumented except for the use of a tape measure. Two (non-Flashaholic) witnesses attended. Agreement on the following figures was generally unanimous, with minor differences.

BRIGHTNESS ("INTENSITY" (Subjective visual rating)

10 ---Ultrastinger

9.7 ---3" T1/2 Turbo

8.9 ---2.5" LPS "Compact Turbo"

6 ---2.5" KT2 turbo

"HOTSPOT" DIAMETER at 20'

16" ---Ultrastinger

16" ---3" T1/2 Turbo

21" ---2.5" LPS "Compact Turbo"

30" ---2.5" KT2 Turbo

TOTAL DIAMETER ("HOTSPOT" PLUS "CORONA" at 20'

48" ---Ultrastinger

25– 40" ---3" T1/2 Turbo

35" ---2.5" LPS "Compact Turbo"

48" ---2.5" KT2 Turbo

COMMENTS

To begin with, these non-instrumented measurements are all subject to some degree of error. Also, they will almost certainly vary from one supposedly "identical" turbohead to the next (as we saw with a borrowed 3 incher that gave us results midway between our 3" sample and the compact 2.5" . Even with Surefire's excellent close-tolerance manufacturing, the very slightest deviation of either reflector curvature or reflector/filament relationship or both will cause a visible beam variation especially when magnified by even a short projected distance.

ULTRASTINGER:
Truly a magnificent light, we used it as our standard, giving it a rating of 10 (or 100%) for purposes of this test. There are some people who might nitpick about "subtle shadows in the beam", but those objections would most likely not be relevant in practical use.

3" T1/2 TURBO (WITH N2):
Virtually equal to the US. We marked it down by .3 because of its uneven somewhat "wispy" corona, which subtracted very slightly from the total projected light. Nevertheless, for all practical purposes the two lights can be considered equal, although the US will maintain brightness longer than the SF.

NOTE: Of the four lights tested only the US and the 3" T1/2 + N2 had distinctly delineated hotspots.
This made measuring much easier and seems to have accounted for, or been a manifestation of, their superior performance. The designation "T1/2" refers to the fact that there is only one 3" turbo, called the T1 with the NT lamp, and the T2 with the HOLA.

LPS COMPACT 2.5" TURBO:
Although not quite the equal of the US or the 3" Turbo in brightness or throw, we considered the LPS a success because of its marked superiority to the KT2 2.5" Turbo and its very decent showing against its intimidating competitors. LPS' claims of excellence were vindicated, and their statement: 'smaller than 2.5" ' turned out to be true. Even though the diameter of the two units was the same, the shape of the LPS was considerably less bulky than the KT2, and it weighed more than 40% less: 2.7oz vs. 4.7oz. Put another way, the KT2 weighed 75% more than the LPS.

2.5" KT2 TURBO
It is possible that this unit may be excellent for "professional" use. As a civilian I am not qualified to judge. However, I was so disappointed when I first tested this unit that I felt compelled to post my reactions (See thread: "Surefire Turbohead Disappoints). In spite of this, the KT2's projected beam is very smooth and quite round, a really lovely looking beam, but quite diffuse and simply not as bright as the others.

NOTE: Any apparent inconsistencies between the brightness and diameter charts are accounted for by subtle variations in corona brightness and shape, as well as the percentage of total light that is presented in the corona, in addition to how suddenly or gradually the hotspot merges into the corona. For purposes of this test, the term "corona" refers to the dimmer "doughnut" of light surrounding and immediately adjacent to the "hotspot". Sometimes the corona is easily seen and measured, other times it almost defies clear perception or measurement. I would use the term "Peripheral" light to represent the "Corona that surrounds the Corona" Clearly, these tests cry out for instrumentation, or at least beam pics.

BEAM PROJECTION ("THROW" TESTS):

These are very difficult to conduct in my city, especially in my neighborhood where people are bustling about until late at night, and where projection tests are best done vertically (up the sides of tall buildings) because open, dark horizontal space is so hard to come by. The large local park remains a possibility, but I don't wish to add mugging to the list of difficulties involved in this kind of testing.

I was able to do a rather crude "vertical throw" test (mentioned in that other thread) using the D3 with T2 3" Turbo and I might be able to similarly test the other Turbos eventually, but that is probably unnecessary. We know that the US and the T2 are essentially equal, and that the LPS is a fairly aggressive competitor, just as we have seen that the KT2 is the weakest of the four,

It is possible however, that real life distance testing might yield unexpected results and I invite my colleagues who live in less congested areas to see what they can come up with.

Two remaining points:

TYPE OF REFLECTOR FACETING: The points made in the previous thread continue to prove true.

MN16: I have one on order, but I'll test it only in my 3" because I have lost interest in and will be returning the KT2, and Wayne of LPS believes that their compact unit is best served by the N2.

This is a good place to mention that the service and level of customer care recently provided by Wayne and LPS was superb, definitely beyond the call of duty.

I hope this Lonnnnnnggg report enlightens more than it obfuscates!

Best regards,
Brightnorm

K-T

*Moderator*
Re: A Major step Forward: LPS\' new Compact Turbohead for SUREFIRES

Thanks, quite interesting.
Klaus.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the info on the lps t head,sounds like the kt2 is not the way to go, good thing i read this before i bought one!.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Excellent review!

Thanks!

Al
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

So few Flashaholics responded to this post ("New Compact Turbohead: LPS Gets it (mostly) Right") that I thought a different title might help.

Brightnorm

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

Call me stupid, but the "new" LPS compact turbo looks like the SureFire T2 turbohead....like exactly.

See: http://www.lagger-pro.com/hd3t.htm

Are they using remaining SureFire stock or is this a newly turned reflector?

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
I heard about this product just yesterday. Is it an aftermarket part? I can't determine so by viewing the low resolution photographs. If so, then the maker has the capability to machine other sizes for other products. How about a 3.5" reflector for the M6?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KT,

I really don't know the answer to that but I'm sure tht Wayne at LPS will be happy to discuss it.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken J. Good:
Call me stupid, but the "new" LPS compact turbo looks like the SureFire T2 turbohead....like exactly.

See: http://www.lagger-pro.com/hd3t.htm

Are they using remaining SureFire stock or is this a newly turned reflector?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken,

You and KT have asked similar questions that I can't answer, but I would think that Wayne at LPS can.

About the similarity of the two turboheads: they are on my desk now and they are very similar in general appearance, but in fact there are observable differences:

The LPS is of course much smaller than the T2, though the general style is pretty much the same (smooth simple lines, quite different from the blocky, fortress-like mass of the KT2.) The "flare angle" of both seem pretty much the same, but the design of the lip near the lens is slightly different.
Clearly they are siblings, whereas the KT2 is a more distant cousin. The kind of reflector faceting and "shinyness" of the T2 and the LPS are much closer to each other than either is to the NT2.

Brightnorm

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

Remember, the SureFire 12PM, 2.5" reflector? SureFire changed the lip design on the later versions to remove some of the "fuzziness" around the edges of the pattern. They may be using that head....

Let me know what they say or I can call them and the office later.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered a KT2 from Wayne & he subed the LPS Special. When I got it, it was exactly like the 2 1/2" head on my 12PM, in looks & preformance. I would judge the LPS Special I have to spec out very close to the one you have. So while I thought the LPS T-head was just like the KT2, now I find out my 12PM head is like the LPS head instead of the KT2. Sure glad Wayne sent me this one. I would like to have a 3" head, but am very happy with the one I got from Wayne. And I'll throw my support in here that Wayne is indeed a great guy to deal with. In fact, I'll interject that I've never been involved with buying any products that had so many good vendors good to deal with as when I got involved with flashlights. Not only do you have great mfgts like SF & ARC, but you have dealers like Wayne, William, & Gary, just to mention a few. TX
EDIT:
Ken, you may be right as my LPS & 12PM t-heads are identical. I was typeing my reply as you posted yours.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

To further add to the pot, I just got an old 9PT from Wayne (unopened package), and that 3" T1/2 has a lip just like the LPS, but unlike my other T1/2.

It seems that for years SF has been constantly experimenting with subtle and perhaps unannounced design variations. I take that as a sign of a company that is committed to growth and improvement, though it can get a little confusing at times.

BTW, I can't comment on the 12PM, but I just tried an MN16 in all my Turbo heads and was distinctly underwhelmed. I'll stick with the N2, counterintuitive as that may seem

Brightnorm

K-T

*Moderator*

I think somewhere I read that they are actually using the 12PM/PZ 2,5" Turboheads, but cannot remember where I read it.
Klaus.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:

BTW, I can't comment on the 12PM, but I just tried an MN16 in all my Turbo heads and was distinctly underwhelmed. I'll stick with the N2, counterintuitive as that may seem

Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please elaborate, as I have the MN16 now and want to get the N2, I assume the MN16 to be much brighter. Explain why the N2 is better so I will get one sooner. (I have a 2.5" T-head)

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
Please elaborate, as I have the MN16 now and want to get the N2, I assume the MN16 to be much brighter. Explain why the N2 is better so I will get one sooner. (I have a 2.5" T-head)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,

I found the MN16 beam to be more dispersed than I had hoped, and therefore less intense and "cutting" than the N2, even though it was putting out a greater amount of light.

The analogy that comes to mind is an earlier test I did where the the ASP Triad/Taclite superimposed its bright spot upon the more "Lumen-laden" beam of a 6P with P61 projected against a wall 50 feet away.

However, I conducted the MN16 "test" very briefly, with much less attention to detail than in my prior lengthy review, so it's possible that my obserevations may have been less accurate than I would have liked.

If I have time I'll try to repeat the tests today or tomorrow.

I assume you have the KT2? I think the MN16 didn't do too badly in that turbo, though I can't be sure. Besides, what would you say that you want in a turbo; great cut and longest throw but with smaller beam, or a shorter throw but "more" light?

I think it all comes down to filament placement relative to the reflector's curve.

I must say that Streamlight (in the US) has really gotten it right.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brightnorm,

Thanks for the excellent review! I was considering getting one of the complete 'kits', but could not find any info. on them. Keep up the good work!

Eric

JoeyL

Enlightened

Brightnorm,

Thanks for the review. It was much appreciated and helped in a recent purchase decision. By the way, are you planning on doing any comparisons of the kt4 (the M3 turbo head) in the near future?

Thanks!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm,
I've been saying for 3 weeks that the N2 kicks butt. The MN16 is good if you want quanity of light, but N2 is quality light. N1 is also a very nice beam. I love my LPS Special T-head on my G2 with the N1. TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Brightnorm,
I've been saying for 3 weeks that the N2 kicks butt. TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

txwest,

I remember you saying that in the original
"SF Thead disappoints" thread. You're absolutely right, it's a great lamp.

I first discovered the N1 years ago with my second 6P and a 3" T-head (then quite easy to get). The beam was PERFECTLY round and remarkably focused. I never tried an N1 in my LPS 2.5" but I'm not surprisred to hear how good it is.

Brightnorm.

Jim Smyth

Newly Enlightened

What flashlites orginally came with the 3" head? Or was this just an option at the time? Also,does anyone have a picture comparison (side by side)between say a T1/T2,LPS,KT2? I know what they all look like except the T1/T2, never seen one yet. I have a 9P that I would like to get a T2 for it but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. I am running a P91 lamp in it right now. If I get one of the 3 Turboheads above, would I have to change lamp assemblies or would the P91 work just fine? Hate to give up the extra Lumens!
wink.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

the lights that came with 3" t heads are as i know them are the 6pt,9pt,M4(please correct if wrong)and 12 pm/zm. hope that i'm right
tongue.gif
,later