A new flashlight for work, need some advice

alex in germany

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guy´s

i work as a mechanic with injection machines and cast´s, and all that stuff aroung them.
Most of the time i do repairs. And sometimes i need a better view, - more light.

I use a SF E1L with rechargeables CR123, and most of the time it worked.
But with all that new LED´s out there, i want something new, with more flood character.

What do i want:

a LED flashlight with Cree XR-E or SSC P4
it shoud be powered by a single Cell rechargeable CR123
Size shoud be the same as the E1L or a bit smaller.
a tailcap clicky, with max. 2 stage switch,High/low, or just on-off.
No strobe,SOS, multi level etc. is needed.
Upgradeable if posible, (depends on the Price)

The Light will be used everyday, with dirty hands, has contact with oil, all kinds of lubricants, grease, some cleaning stuff, like aceton,braking cleaner,etc....

I try to take care, but .... my E1L felt down from time to time.
For two times it ended in the washing machine.....

Quality of the SF is outstanding.

Is there a Flashlight out there, that fits my needs ?
Or shoud i better wait till SF comes out with new LED Lights?

A good customer service would be nice, in case i need it. Spare parts should be availible for longer.

I have no clue where to set my Limit for the Price...

If it is worth the money, and i realy like it, i will pay what it costs.....

Greetings, Alex

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
alex in germany said:
Most of the time i do repairs. And sometimes i need a better view, - more light.

I use a SF E1L with rechargeables CR123, and most of the time it worked.
But with all that new LED´s out there, i want something new, with more flood character.
Do you really want more light output (i.e., brighter) or just more flood? If you just need more flood character, you can add a beamshaper to your E1L.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumapower D-mini fits all of your criterias except that it's more of a thrower than floodlight.
You might check out the Amilite T5, it might suit your needs.
Make a search here and there will pop up a couple of threads.
Cheers.

alex in germany

Newly Enlightened
GeorgePaul said:
Do you really want more light output (i.e., brighter) or just more flood? If you just need more flood character, you can add a beamshaper to your E1L.

A bit more output would be nice ... :twothumbs

regards, Alex

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, dont know that much more about the Amylite, except that it looks to be a very nice light. You probably should ask one of the guys who got them, they might know.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I believe the Amilite T5 and Lumapower D-mini(if LP-mini is just a limited edition of D-mini) are the only cree one cell 123 tailclicky lights out there. You might want to wait for Surefires offering then, if you cant change your request. There is a bunch of good 18650 cree lights otherwise, but they are bigger, or a bunch of 1AA cree lights that would be brighter than your E1 and in the same size or smaller.

alex in germany

Newly Enlightened
I have some RCR123 Cells and a charger, thats why i want to stay with it. I think i can put 18650 in that charger, too.

For AA i need new cells and a charger.

Anyone knows when SF will come out with the new stuff ?

Sorry for asking that much, but what about that Aleph stuff ? Is there something that fits my needs ?
Or a custom Light ? Maybe a McLuxIII-PD ? Looks realy nice for me.

regards, Alex

zx7dave

Enlightened
SureFire 9P with Lighthound.com dropin Cree P4 and a couple rechargeable of your choice. Should get good runtime and SureFire relability.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Alex:)

The McLux-PD is a very nice light, very well build but not the brightest out there.

Try to get a SF E1e, modded with a McR20 reflector, Flupic board and SSC-P4.
Water-tight, very bright, diff. brightness levels (max. at 1200mA), long runtime, runs with 1RCR123 cell and well build:rock:

Best regards

____
Tom

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
alex in germany said:
I have some RCR123 Cells and a charger, thats why i want to stay with it. I think i can put 18650 in that charger, too.

For AA i need new cells and a charger.

Anyone knows when SF will come out with the new stuff ?

Sorry for asking that much, but what about that Aleph stuff ? Is there something that fits my needs ?
Or a custom Light ? Maybe a McLuxIII-PD ? Looks realy nice for me.

regards, Alex

McG can build you what ever you want there are so many different lights and builds the only issue with that is the cash. but if you got it theres no better place to spend it then with him.

alex in germany

Newly Enlightened
Hello Tom, :grin2:

Long John said:
Hello Alex:)

The McLux-PD is a very nice light, very well build but not the brightest out there.

I thought there will be a PD with SSC out there, but it seems only in Titanium.

Long John said:
Try to get a SF E1e, modded with a McR20 reflector, Flupic board and SSC-P4.
Water-tight, very bright, diff. brightness levels (max. at 1200mA), long runtime, runs with 1RCR123 cell and well build:rock:

That sounds good to me, did you know someone who can do that modding job ?

regards, Alex

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
alex in germany said:
I thought there will be a PD with SSC out there, but it seems only in Titanium.

Alex, even though with a SSC, the Led isn't driven hard. It's build for a good compromise regarding brightness/runtime.

BTW my suggestion: I would post a request in the "Custom & Mod B/S/T"-forum.

Best regards

_____
Tom

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
How about a headlamp? Having light AND both of your hands free is probably the optimal situation when working on equipment. There are plenty of good headlamps to choose from. Plus if you check out the headlamps section you'll see that people are already modding headlamps with Cree and SSC LEDs.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget Poland!!

I mean the LumaPower M3 and the Free.Light Spartanian are also both 1 x CR123A tail cliickers. :)

Lobo said:
Honestly, I believe the Amilite T5 and Lumapower D-mini(if LP-mini is just a limited edition of D-mini) are the only cree one cell 123 tailclicky lights out there. You might want to wait for Surefires offering then, if you cant change your request. There is a bunch of good 18650 cree lights otherwise, but they are bigger, or a bunch of 1AA cree lights that would be brighter than your E1 and in the same size or smaller.