Surefire announced 2 new SSC lights - now shipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup - there's going to be 2 SSC based LED new lights in addition to the revised L1 E1L and E2L - dealers can't even order them yet and supposedly they'll start shipping in August but well you heard it here first. :)

G2L - A G2 with an LED. 80 Lumens, 12 hours. $65 available in black and yellow nitrolon.

6PL - A A 6P with an LED. 80 Lumens, 11 hours. $85 available in (bright )black anodizing only (type II).

The new lights are in stock and shipping immediately!

http://www.batteryjunction.com/g2-led-.html

http://www.batteryjunction.com/surefire-6p-led-.html

Sorry but coupons cannot be combined.

Question I cannot answer. :)
What types of batteries will fit.
What voltages will be accomodated.
Whether the LED units will be available for retrofit or are even compatable with the old bodies.
When the lights will actually ship.
If the runtimes are real; what the current to the emitter is.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire announced 2 new Cree lights today!

Surprised they aren't offering more lumens, but their customers may prefer run time to lumens.

boosterboy

Enlightened

What else does Surefire have in it's vaults spring loaded for launch to blow everyone else out of the water?

Finally, a commercially-produced cree light with a momentary switch that I will tolerate.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's no way (I don't think) it's going to pump out 80 lumens for 12 hours on two CR123s but they sound interesting especially as for Surefires, they're semi-affordable.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMO very high lumens for very long runtimes....interesting though.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I get a link? I can't find anything about this on SF's page. (or anywhere for that matter.)

Cydonia

Enlightened

Hey havn't seen the batteryjunction guy around much the last month! Welcome back. Looks like ya got a scoop on the SureFire info :popcorn:
Oh yeah, the G2L sounds interesting. But isn't there a cheapo DX drop in for that model that's substantially brighter?

tman11

Newly Enlightened

I wonder if they are going to be "1 hour max output then 11 hours useful output..."as they currently state in some of their LED models...either way I'm still probably gonna pull the trigger on one when they become available.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am only interested in lights that take the 18500/18650 cells, if they dont then its ho hum from me.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome. I wonder if they will look the same or if there will be a redesign. I also wonder if the LED module will be able to be removed and placed in other lights. Can't wait to hear more!

Keep in mind that Surefire notoriously understates output, so they'll probably put out a little more than stated.

**.pdfs' from Surefire available on page 3**

Last edited:

Joseph13

Newly Enlightened

Yup - there's going to be 2 Cree basedLED new lights in addition to the revised L1 E1L and E2L - dealers can't even order them yet and supposedly they'll start shipping in August but well you heard it here first. :)

G2L - A G2 with an LED. 80 Lumens, 12 hours. $65 available in black and yellow nitrolon.

6PL - A A 6P with an LED. 80 Lumens, 11 hours. $85 available in (bright )black anodizing only (type II).

Is this going to be like Surefire's other new LEDs, I mean G2 12 hrs but only 6 at or near full power then tapering off?

this is performance spec for P3D off Fenix Store's site:
"General Mode: 9 lumens (65hrs) -> 40 lumens (13hrs) ->
90 lumens (4.8hrs) -> SOS "

Originally SF publshed "E1L 30 Lumens for 17hrs" (SF 2007 Printed Catalogue), but their website states "30 Lumens for 10 hrs."

(Pleas note I am not trying to start a heated debate) but it seems SF Marketing division is inflating specs, as most marketing people do, trying to get more hype about new products.

Or, this may be the SF projected specs, and what they are working diligently to produce, but fell short of projected specs for E1L.

On a personal note I own several SF lights and Fenix lights, and all are good useful tools for me.

if anyone knows more about these lights from SF I am interested in photoes/ data on them.

carrot

Flashaholic

Don't know, but I'd be happy with less than half the advertised time at high output. I have no doubts that, properly done, you could squeeze at least 6 hours and 80 lumens out of 2x123 using a Cree, regulated, even.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Strange the 6PL has lower runtime than the G2L. If they make the same output, that means they're driven at the same current and the runtime should be the same. I'm sure the runtime figures are useable runtime, not output at 80 lumens.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

As someone stated above, the numbers probably aren't final yet.

rookie

Enlightened

Reflector or optic?

Humm, it will be interesting if the Cree modules can be transferred to other Surefire C series lights.

Can't wait!!!!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is to be expected. I am sure we will see more and more LED's replacing throwaway globe reflector assemblies.
It is clearly more efficient to use LED's
The difference in runtime may have something to do with the fact that one light is made from plastic and the other is aluminum. The aluminum 6P model is able to move heat better and may be able to have better runtime...Just a guess here.
I really like the idea of a 6P size and style High output flashlight. Keep in mind that there are many LEO's out there who are used to the 6P's form factor and brightness. This new light from SureFire sounds like a drop in replacement for a LEO's EDC. The runtime improvement will make many a people happy. If the light runs on a CR123 and has more than 1 hour of runtime that would be am improvement over the current 6P with a stock globe.

This sounds like a product aimed directly at the LEO market.
It may even be SureFires response to the new LAPD light. Who knows.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more products in this size and form factor.
Many of the little lights we like out here are too small for Professional EDC use. Some times you need more light.
I still love my 6P with a KL3 head. It has a great feel in the hand.
BTW was there any indication of whether or not a reflector or optic is being used? I would bet of a reflector.
yaesumofo

Status
Not open for further replies.