New Cree Tactical Flashlight by AE Light

wintermute

Enlightened
That thing looks excellent - with the backlit switch on the side to change modes and dual as a low batt indicator.

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
Australian designed light, made in the USA and IT HAS STROBE!

I think strobes have their place, such as some limited law enforcement applications and warning capabilities. But the truth is most people will use them to play and show someone. "Hey look at what my light can do". Then if they are not a flashoholic, they look at you like you have issues.

I couldn't agree more...It's a gimmick from the Chinese manufacturers.

Guess strobe is not just for Chinese anymore! :grin2:
Cool light. Their website doesn't list it yet that I could find. You expect to have it available for sale at PTS in two months Mike?

treasurydept

Newly Enlightened
This looks fantastic!! Good to see something made with the collaboration of my fellow Australian countrymen!!

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a Nuwai. Australian design, US components, made in China? Not putting it down at all, sounds pretty cool. Just curious. :thinking:

Dave

Bullzaye

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the "tactical rear" switch has a momentary option? Also, if the tactical rear switch always comes on at 100% power, wouldn't it be handier for the side switch to initially come on at 25% power? Being able to program the side switch would be a useful option as well.
Tim

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I wonder if the "tactical rear" switch has a momentary option? Also, if the tactical rear switch always comes on at 100% power, wouldn't it be handier for the side switch to initially come on at 25% power? Being able to program the side switch would be a useful option as well.
Tim

No, if you look at the low light shooting methods which are in place in Queensland (which is one of the best high stress methods available) and i believe are being adopted by the rest of the Australian Police they require a side activated switch which means that if it came on at 25% it would be useless for this purpose. I do hope that the side switch is similar to the others that change the modes if pressed again within a certain time.

I agree that it looks very interesting, will be very interested to see this one in the flesh. Are you going to be stocking it Mike?

treasurydept

Newly Enlightened
No, if you look at the low light shooting methods which are in place in Queensland (which is one of the best high stress methods available) and i believe are being adopted by the rest of the Australian Police they require a side activated switch which means that if it came on at 25% it would be useless for this purpose. I do hope that the side switch is similar to the others that change the modes if pressed again within a certain time.

I agree that it looks very interesting, will be very interested to see this one in the flesh. Are you going to be stocking it Mike?

KeeperSD, I am also in Queensland and am interested in the low light shooting methods which you speak of. Could you please elaborate/explain this to me?

KeeperSD

Enlightened
KeeperSD, I am also in Queensland and am interested in the low light shooting methods which you speak of. Could you please elaborate/explain this to me?

Are you in the Police?

It is quite difficult to explain in words but i will give it my best go, it is nothing like what you would see in the movies. A rear tactical switch cannot be used with this shooting method where they use the fancy method of crossing hands and alike, looks good for the shows, works poorly under high stress as it uses fine motor skills and offers little support to the firing hand and also require you to think of both the aiming of the light as well as the firearm.

The QPS shooting method operates in a way that keeps two hands on the firearm whilst shooting. I am not sure if you have seen the normal light shooting method of the QPS? But again it is designed to work better the more stress that is applied as it relies on gross motor skills and indexing (i told you it is going to be difficult to explain). So the normal shooting grip has your shooting hand gripping the firearm in a normal fashion whilst your second hand cups the first and the thumb of the second running parallel to the slide of the firearm, the further you can get the thumb along the slide the better the method is. The thumb is used to index the firearm towards the target and hence reduce the time required to aim.

Now the low light method uses the dominant hand gripping the firearm in the same way whilst the non preferred hand used the pointer finger and the thumb to grip the torch and have it run parallel to the firearm. The button on the maglite is operated by the base of the thumb, whilst the remaining fingers are again cupped around the preferred hand on the grip of the pistol to keep the light close to the firearm and provide support and control to the shooting hand.

I had some pictures posted of the method but think it probably better to PM them to you if you want them

Last edited:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened

Cool light. Their website doesn't list it yet that I could find. You expect to have it available for sale at PTS in two months Mike?
As far as I know, this post here on CPF is the first public release of information on this new torch. I still don't have any more information other than what's in the PDF. We will definitely be stocking it! :thumbsup:

o0o

Enlightened
Low battery indicator is awesome. Wish the big-time makers like Surefire would implement such a device.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see nothing in the pdf indicating this light is made in the USA. Looking at Nuwai's website, it would appear to be an ALX-353L with different internals and a "second" switch on the tail cap. The pdf does mention the Led is made in the US. Also mentioned, is "American technology" used in the IC curcuit, but that's about it.

I have three Nuwai's and they have all proven to be good value for the money. If this light is one, it's probably no exception.

Dave

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai is NOT A MANUFACTURER. Nuwai is a trade company that buys and brands lights from multiple manufacturers like Quantum, Ningbo Futai(Futailite) and Shing Fung Metalworks/Favour Light.

</RANT>

The tailcap switch does not do momentary - it's on/off only. The strobe rate isn't a flasher like you see on some Chinese lights; it's a tactical strobe at the optimized hertz to cause disorientation/dizziness (or seizures in epileptics), like a LEDLogic Striker or NightOps Gladius, a la the Bucha Effect.