Zebralight Summary

nzbazza

Enlightened
Here's what what I've put together regarding the Zebralight H50 1AA headlamp. All information taken from posts to CPF.

Zebralight ThreadsZebralight Reviews

Zebralight H50 with GID bracket
Zebralight H50 Prototype

CAD Image with pocket clip

Make/Model: Zebralight H50 1AA Headlamp
  • H50-P4: Standard Model with P4 bin Cree XRE LED.
  • H50-Q5: Limited Edition with Q5 bin Cree XRE LED. Production run limited to 90.
Cost:
  • H50-P4: US$39 + pp.
  • H50-Q5: US$49 + $5 pp.
Ordering:
  • Direct from Zebralight's website zebralight.com. From other dealers later. May be a sub-forum over at CPFMarketPlace later.
  • There is no pre-order list for the H50-P4.
  • A H50-Q5 pre-order list is here. List is now fully subscribed. (Update 8/9/07: those on Q5 pre-order list should have received a PM giving paypal details.)
Shipping:
  • George @ Zebralight is said the H50 can be ordered and shipped from next week (first week of September). Message Link
LED:
  • H50-P4: 1 off P4-WC bin Cree 7090 X-RE. (For first batch anyway)
  • H50-Q5: 1 off Q5-WG bin Cree 7090 X-RE.
  • Q5 bin: 107-114 lumens at 350mA
  • P4 bin: 80.6-87.4 lumens at 350mA
  • Q5 bin produces an average 32% more lumens than P4 bin (best 41.4%, worst 22.4%)
Batteries:
  • 1 off 1.2-1.5V AA, Alkaline, NiMH rechargeable, Li-Fe (Energiser Lithium L91).
  • Li-Ion (14500) are not supported.
Circuitry:
  • All levels output regulated (boost voltage/current regulated). No PWM.
  • Circuit is optimised for single cell (1.5V) operation.
  • The circuit can take up to 4.2V but is NOT supported due to heat buildup.
  • The circuit won't start below 1.1v. However, if the circuit is already on (>= 1.1v), it will work down to 0.9v.
  • If the light is turned off for more than 5.6 seconds, the light level resets to low.
Performance: H50-P4
  • Low: 2.6 lm for 85 hr
  • Med: 13.0 lm for 19 hr
  • High: 65.0 lm for 2.5 hr
  • Runtimes performed using a H50-P4 model and a Sanyo 2700 mAh nimh battery
Performance: H50-Q5
  • Low: 3.4 lm for 85 hr
  • Med: 17.2 lm for 19 hr
  • High: 85.8 lm for 2.5 hr
  • Output levels calculated from H50-P4 data x 1.32.
Beam Type:
  • Flood, 120 deg spread.
  • Small TIR lens used. Most of the Cree rings subdued with the TIR.
  • The optic in the ZebraLight H50 does not do ANY collimation. It's designed to bring back as much as possible the original bare LED beam pattern, which is altered a bit since the LED is now recessed in the aluminum case.
Length:
  • 66 mm
Diameter:
  • 18.3 mm
Form Factor:
  • Cylindrical
Weight:
  • 17g without battery or headband.
  • 75g total weight, allowing 28g for NiMH battery and 30g for headband.
Material:
  • 6061 aluminium body, Hard Anodised III (HAIII)
  • Hardened Lexan polycarbonate lens dome.
Water Resistance:
  • IPX6 (TBC)
Switch:
  • Twisty tailcap. Tailcap removable to replace battery.
  • Off, Lo, Off, Med, Off, Hi.
  • It will be difficult to operate with one hand.
Headband:
  • The headlamp is mounted using a silicon bracket, filled with GID powder, to the elastic headband.
  • Headlamp easily detached from bracket to use handheld.
  • The emitter is off center about 27.6mm.
Light Angle:
  • Headlamp rotates within bracket to adjust light angle.
Other Models:
  • Planned Zebralight headlamp models:
    • H20 – CR2 (15266)
    • H30 – CR123 (17335)
    • H40 – AAA (10440)
    • H50 – AA (14500)
    • H60 – Li–Ion (18650)
  • After releasing the H50, Zebralight will consider manufacturing H30, H20, H60, and maybe H40.
  • The red LED or filter support will be in the Hx1 series. (Will not be released in 2007).
  • Release dates for these models are undecided.
Modding:
  • The head is not accessible for any mods. It's sealed with heat conductive epoxy. Head bonded to battery tube.
Accessories:
  • Pocket clip, Anti-glare device for glasses. Two extra GID silicon brackets, one with a neck lanyard.
Warranty:
  • 1 year warranty against defects in workmanship and materials, provided that the product remains unmodified and is operated under normal and proper conditions.
  • Shipping addresses in the U.S. and China for returns and warranty services.
Competitors:
  • Fenix are producing a Cree headlamp. Due end 2007/early 2008.
Beamshots:

H50 hanging about 16cm (6 inch) from a projection screen. Higher light level in the center is in part caused by the closer distance between the light source and the screen in the center. There are still some artifacts from the square die LED on the projection screen (or white walls).

The beam is about 120 degree wide. You can see from this picture that the center area is not much brighter than the rest.

taken with a 42mm (28mm*1.5) lens. the light beam is much wider than what my camera can handle.

The hallway picture was taken with a long exposure time of 15 seconds at F8, ISO 640. The headlamp was set to High with some 83 torch lumens out of the front (or the side in the case of the H50).

Humour:
  • Shakeylegs put together these lyrics as an ode the Zebralight. All together now...
  • To the tune of Money for Nothin':

I want my, I want my ZebraLight
    I want my, I want my ZebraLight

Now look at them yo-yo's, that's no way to do it
    They're wearin' headlamps big as ATV's
    That ain't workin', here's the way to do it
    Lumens weigh nothin', ZebraLight's for me

Now this is workin', here's the way you do it
    Lemme tell ya, ZebraLight ain't dumb
    Got to get my Zebra its a little twister
    Want to twist that Zebra with my thumb

I want to install lithium batteries
    Flood a campsite, deliberately
    We got to end this, procrastination
    We got to move these little beauties

I know you really really really want to ship me
    My little Zebra, its only fair
    That mythic Zebra with the steel clip and the headband
    Oh George please show me it ain't vaporware

I want to install lithium batteries
    Flood a campsite, deliberately
    We got to end this, procrastination
    We got to move these little beauties:naughty:

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot, have not even noticed the pic till now.

not too sure on the beam without any focusing, will there (possibly) be a model with a floody reflector (15-20 deg.)?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for putting this together, nzbazza. This is probably the first headlamp that I've ever been excited about.

jtice

Flashaholic
That is quite nice,
I like the simple small design.
Would make an excellent backup headlamp, and be great for reading etc.
Bet you dont even notice it on your head.

~John

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I buy this? I cannot seem to find any link to an online site where I can get this light. Thanks for any tips.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think the beam is gonna be off-center once you put that light on your head.

i seriously doubt it... as long as its pointing in the same direction as your head... the few inches off center isn't going to make a difference...

try it... take a SMALL flood flashlight... put it above one of your eyes (not in the center, but straight ahead) its still illuminating your target... the biggest problem MIGHT be seen when reading a map/book (really close work) on a low level...

Looking forward to it!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
i seriously doubt it... as long as its pointing in the same direction as your head... the few inches off center isn't going to make a difference...

try it... take a SMALL flood flashlight... put it above one of your eyes (not in the center, but straight ahead) its still illuminating your target... the biggest problem MIGHT be seen when reading a map/book (really close work) on a low level...

Looking forward to it!

I don't think it will matter either. I used my Nite Ize headband along with my Fenix P2D and the fact that the beam was on the side of my head wasn't really that noticable. It still was lighting up what was in front of me quite well, and it is way more off center than the Zebralight is going to be.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Great !!!!
Finally a usefuk headlamp with a flood beam and small size on CR123 (soon) :) :)
Simply cool.

The pure beam of a Cree XR-E is very useful indoors and close range in total darkness. For those interested you can read the "Mule" threads in McGizmo's forum ... it is a flashlight with a pure Cree beam.

bernie

DanCP

Newly Enlightened
I've heard that the Lumapower LM303 has a floody lamp. Is that incorrect?

nzbazza

Enlightened
I've added the LED bin information to the summary. WC looks like a neutral to cool-white along the BBR line, according to the binning d/s from Cree.

Martin

Enlightened
If someone just made a universal plug-on mirror that directs the light 90deg sideways and somewhat diffuses it for close-range operation, many small lights could be turned into zebras.