Brightest Single AA/14500 light?

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the brightest available pocket light that uses a single AA and can use Nimh and Lithium Ion? By brightest I mean the most lumens, and a useful beam. (So no lasers...) Also it needs to be something I can actually buy without a month waiting period. So the new Rebels are OK since I think they will be available in a few days.

Multiple output modes (High, Low) are a huge plus. Price should be under a $100, but of course I want the best deal.

Sorry to ask for help on this, but I haven't followed all the latest chips and manufacturers and such. And I tried researching this, but I seem to find many good choices btu not sure which one is the best. Dexlight, Luxeon Rebel Fenix, Some version of the Cree, P4, tc??? What are your thoughts? I just want to upgrade my first gen Fenix with the Luxeon I in it. Oh, and perferably a light that won't break in a few weeks. (Although the high power warning on the Rebel is OK)

Last edited:

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Rexlight 2.1 as it seems to outshine a Fenix L1D (at least in lux reading) and was designed with 14500s in mind.

I was close to picking one up but decided to get a L1D instead when SeriousLights had their blowout since I might want to lego with a L2D (either RB100 or Cree-Q5) at some point.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the Rexlight 2.1 outshone the L1D, that helps. Deos that include the L1D CE, or are they the same? Forgive my ignorance. The Look and UI of the Rexlight 2.1 looks good. Price looks good. Thanks Anything beat the Rexlight 2.1?

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, it seems WHC likes the Fenix better.
" 1. Fenix L1D-CE (har to beat, very good on Ni-Mh)
2. Rexlight REX2.1/2.0 (both have issues I don't like)"

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'll be updating my 1AA multi-stage review thread in the next couple of days to add the Rex 2.1 and Luma 301: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMSHOTS

What I can tell you right now is that the new Rex 2.1 is a great performer on 14500. Output on Hi has increased by 30% over v2.0 (putting it within 5-10% of the MkIIX and DX X.1), and non-regulated runtime has only dropped by less than 10% (i.e. about 7 mins less in my testing). If you don't mind the semi-regulated output, the new Rex 2.1 definitelty has the best output/runtime on 14500.

On NiMH, please be advised that the Rex 2.1 has had its Hi output reduced by 20-25% (initial brightness). However, the light is much better regulated now and runs for nearly twice as long on NiMH.

That being said, the newer Fenix lines with Q2 or Rebel emitters might be worthwhile contenters as well.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I noticed that review showed the Fenix to have slightly lower output on Nimh but much longer runtime then the Rex 2.0. I think most of the time I will use nimh since I have so many of those. But the 14500 are fun to play with...

BTW, Selfbuilt, very good comparison and charts you posted. The work and effort is much appreciated. I look forward to the update. Thanks.

Seems like Fenix doesn't like or officially support 14500. I haven't seen a Fenix Q2, so I don't know anything about it. This is very tempting although it doesnt' do 14500 and is two AAs, but still 175 (spec) lumens is very tempting. http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=45#66

Last edited:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
So will a L2D Rebel be much brighter then the Rex 2.1 even with a 14500? And I assume the Fenix Q2 is not as bright? Gee this stuff is hard to follow if you have been out of the loop for two years...

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW if you go with the $2x.00 JetBeam 1aa C-LE v1.2, it took about 7 days for the item to arrive from day of order from Emilion's Workshop (google).

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying the C-LE v1.2 is better then the Rex 2.1? And both work with 14500s?

I was wondering if I should get the L2D Premium with a L1D body. I can't get confirmation that a Rebel Premium will be brighter, but in theory it should right? Not sure if it will handle a 14500, but since it is a 2AA light in a 1AA body there is a decent chance... (Any specs say one way or another?)