The Cree Based LRI Proton "Pro" is coming !!

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Kiiiiick Assssss !!!!!!!!!!! :naughty: Could this be the perfect EDC light ....... ?? :twothumbs :thumbsup:

We also saw the late prototype of the updated single AA-cell Proton Pro. This replaces the multi-LED array with a single 2-watt Cree LED and a PMMA (polymethylmethacrylate) lens. It still retains a red LED for night vision protection and the same control circuitry; click and ramp down for white light and hold and ramp up for red. Unfortunately, the Proton Pro retains the same button on the side of the body. We'd prefer a tailcap switch, or something less likely to switch on in a pocket.

The new Cree LED provides 2-3 times the light output of the original Proton array, depending upon how you measure it, with identical battery life, a nice gain. Look for deliveries early next year with no increase in price.

http://www.equipped.org/pp/gr/proton_pro combo_white b-g_700w.jpg
Photon Proton Pro

Click for full article : http://www.equipped.org/ORSummer2007.htm

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

FASTCAR

Banned
A few months ago I "wished" some one to make a keychain light that you could recharge.Its about time :thumbsup:
Do with it had a dock rather then using other batts though.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It's pretty close to being the perfect EDC right now. I've about convinced myself it's bright enough, and now look what they've done. Well, maybe a few more lumens wouldn't hurt.

Geoff

txmatt

Enlightened
A few months ago I "wished" some one to make a keychain light that you could recharge.Its about time :thumbsup:
Do with it had a dock rather then using other batts though.

For another rechargeable keychain option, check out the Lumi Wee if you haven't. More of a custom light but definitely keychain size (maybe 1/2 the size of the Arc AAA). I've got a Wee on order for me and will likely get a ReX for my wife.

Oh, and likely a Proton Pro for me as well. Would be a great travel light: small, easy to find batteries, bright enough for just about anything, and low enough to be used as a night light for multiple nights on one battery.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
I'm REALLY excited about the Proton Pro !! :D

I've had my fill of Fenix's and am no longer interested in CR123 or CR2 lights either ..... :nana::wave:
This baby could well cure me !! :grin2: Well for a while anyway !! :crackup:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) :) :) :)

Yes! The prototype Proton was THE light back 2.5 years ago but it came out a year later with those Nichia 5mm LEDs. :( The Proton Pro looks to be close to the original but the Cree XRE (give me Q bin!) it will give the needed punch.

Red and one light in one... I have a use for that.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light looks and sounds incredible! How exactly will it work with the Red LED though? Where would it be placed?

Perfectionist

Enlightened
:) :) :) :)

Yes! The prototype Proton was THE light back 2.5 years ago but it came out a year later with those Nichia 5mm LEDs. :( The Proton Pro looks to be close to the original
True ..... I remember the incredible buzz it caused when it was first mentioned so long ago !! :eek:

However now, by the lack of activity on this thread ..... it seems nobody is overly bothered anymore !! :sick2:

Hopefully LRI will win everybody back ..... if they don't screw up this time by delaying the release for an eternity and lowering QC standards !! :ohgeez:

big_erb

Newly Enlightened
I had "had" owned the nichia proton.. It was very bright, and its programming was easy to work with.. but, it died one day. I changed the battery, and screwed the tailcap back on and it never lit again... im thinking a grounding issue now, but oh well..
This new cree version should be the cats meow. I am adding it to the list!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been hoping for somthing like this ever since the light was announced. Lets hope they address all of the issues people have brought up: Thin body/threads/finish, unreliability, flash of BRIGHT before switching to low, etc. LRI was one of the companies that got me interested in lights in the first place and has always impressed me with their simple yet effective interfaces. If they could exectute a CREE based Proton properly, it would breathe new life into their now slightly-past-the-curve product line. The side-positioned switch doesn't bother me unless it is for some reason unreliable or is accidental-activation prone.

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap threads, finish quality & reliability (i.e. the issue with the positive battery contacts) were already addressed a while back.

Big_erb: This is a known issue with the earlier Protons that has been corrected. Please send your Proton in for warranty service for a free repair/replacement.

On a related note, ReX pre-ordering has begun today and we're expecting delivery by the first week of October. Check it out here.

underdust

Newly Enlightened
Big_erb: This is a known issue with the earlier Protons that has been corrected. Please send your Proton in for warranty service for a free repair/replacement.
Hi Bryan,

I just sent you a PM with a question that may be related to your comment to Big_erb. If you have a chance, can you please check it out?

Thanks.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
It's funny, for the most part, I've been resistant to the Cree/SSC Craze, I've been perfectly satisfied with my Aviatrixed A2/E1L-SR/Arc AAA-P/Inova X1 combo of EDC lights and have had no need to swap around or change

heck, I've even resisted the Novatacs, yes, they are nice lights, no argument here, but I just never felt the urgent *need* to own one

The Proton Pro, OTOH, THIS light is triggering my "Gottahaveit-itis", it hits all my hot buttons....

Variable light output, dim to bright
common, easy to find power source
durable HA finish
easily pocketable size

the only potential downside is the optic lens, I'm more a fan of reflectors

I'm definitely planning to add one to my EDC setup, as the Inova X1 Gen2 isn't really filling it's niche in the EDC array