Total Lunar Eclipse on 08/28/2007!

jtice

Flashaholic
Eh, bad timing for me as usual :(
Seems it would be in the 4 to 6am ballpark for me.
Every time we have any type of eclipse, its either at a real bad time, or it super cloudy out. :(

~John

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched from thecomfort of my backyard - in suburban Melbourne, light pollution & all.

A top show.

A friend took photos - will try to post a flickr URL tomorrow.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I set my alarm clock but woke up three minutes before it went off..
the dragon started devouring the moon right on time here ;)

the sky was clear and the moon was full, the darkness crept over it slowly from the top left to the right bottom, while the moon itself moved to the right, East -- difficult to imagine what is going on with the heavenly bodies to do this -- then I realized this was one of the first and so one of the oldest occurences in our universe that we can watch, somewhat like cosmic baby pictures.. the moon never went completely dark, the earth got alot darker though -- fell asleep and missed the dragon regurgetation, though I did see the full orangish (due to huge forrest fire in my area?) moon this morning just before it set into the Pacific an hour ago..

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was so pissed off! :hairpull:
I work nights at a water plant so viewing was not a timing problem for me. I made it a point to watch the skies. Nice and clear, plenty of starts and no clouds. Right up until about 10 minutes before the eclipse was supposed to start. Then the clouds moved in and all I got to see was a slowly dimming glow behind the clouds. :banghead:
And the clouds stuck around until the sun started rising.:mecry:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got up to watch it. It was very cool! The weather and atmospheric conditions were perfect in the Big Sac. Nice crystal clear air and it was T-shirt and shorts warm out in my backyard. My Wife even checked it out. I'm very tired now but it was worth it.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Caught most of it here in SW Ohio. Went out a little before 6AM. The moon set before it was over but I did get a good view of that blood red look.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
Being totaly clueless as to what is happening in the world, I have been enjoying the super clear skys here on Maui and the moon the last few nights has been painfully bright!! In fact last night, during the moonrise, I tried to catch a shot of some clouds illuminated by the moon:

Moon-rise-clouds.jpg

At a little after midnight, I went back out of the rear deck for a smoke prior to hitting the sack and it was real dark!! The moon should still be high in the sky and I looked up and dang!!! WTF!!! I went and grabbed the camera and took a telephoto shot:

LunarEclipse.jpg

I figured this was either an eclipse or the $hit was really hitting the fan! :green: I was so bugged that I booted up the computer and googled lunar eclipse. Whew!! No worries! I was really struck with how primative man (or ignorant man in my case) could be very humbled by the unexpected in the heavens!!

You guys usually alert us to something happening in the sky like the recent meteor showers (very cool here, BTW). This one caught me unawares!! :eek:

The sky has been very blue during the day and the sun quite bright and hot. The other day with the sun still high, there was some color in a whisp of cloud below it. Folks on the beach were commenting on what it was and I don't recall ever seeing something like it. I believe it was an irridescent cloud. The pic below doesn't do it justice but that's typical of diffracted light in the sky it seems.

IridescentCloud.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bitslammer,
I assumed it was a sun dog but doing a google, I found THIS SITE which with further browsing brought me to the suspicion that what we saw was an iridescent cloud. The sun was still high in the sky and the impression I got was that it is usually lower for the sun dogs. :shrug: It may be that the cloud provided a section of a higher order rainbow. Whatever the case, it was pretty cool and I wish there had been more cloud cover not only for more color but less bright sun! It was hot!!

The linked site by the way is pretty dang cool!! :D

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yeah! I bookmarked it too! People don't believe in the green flash but this site explains it as well as provides images. :)

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not see it here in Ohio. I probably needed to get to highter ground with all of the trees.

Nice pics McGizmo!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm late to this read.
Had another busy week.
I did get to see it while on the road in the early AM.

I didn't even know it was coming!
I just noticed at 4:45 AM that the full moon I saw earlier in my delivery run wasn't there!! :eek:
I was way out in the countryside and saw stars, but no....oh wait, what's that reddish crescent shaped spot in the western sky?
A lunar eclipse. :wow:

As the sun came up I did try to make a funny shadow puppet shadow on the relit top crescent of the moon, then hanging low in the western sky with the just then rising sun behind me. :naughty:
Of course it didn't work. :p

Or... did it? :eek:oo: