HUGE Lumiled's Blunder - Discovered!!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
HUGE Lumiled\'s Blunder - Discovered!!

Today I began working on building a few 5W white SE mods. I had a section of 5 emitters in a completely factory sealed section of a reel secured from a 100% trusted source. When I opened these 5 emitters and proceeded to test them, only 3 of the 5 would light up.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Damn, I'm thinking 2 out of 5 emitters, DOA is REALLY BAD!! The cost of these things has the 'ol pucker valve really tightening up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Then, in quick thought of "No way, it couldn't happen", I powered them with REVERSED POLARITY. Guess what?? They lit up just fine!! As it turns out, Lumiled's trimmed the leads on these 2 emitters on the positive side, and left the "little holes" on the negative side.

Lesson of story, don't ever throw away a "bad" emitter without first hitting it with power on every conductive sufrace in every possible combination to verify if it *really* is dead........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: HUGE Lumiled\'s Blunder - Discovered!!

yes, interesteing indeed...

elektrolumens(i think?), had a similar experience several weeks ago. he got them from mr bulk...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Please Roth, better no information than disinformation. Elektrolumens has never bought any Luxeons from me, reversed-lead or otherwise. It was Lambda, with whom I often exchange and buy/sell every light-related thing under the sun. Hey, what's a little dyslexia between friends? d;^)

Slick, I have already posted this discovery as well, in another thread kinda far back. In fact it was posted long before the new CPF format came about (maybe that's why you didn't see it yet).

But yes, Lumileds does still have some issues to work out -- although I will say that every LS in this latest U3U batch boast correctly marked polarities (whew!), so no more nightmares during assembly...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Slick, I have already posted this discovery as well, in another thread kinda far back. In fact it was posted long before the new CPF format came about (maybe that's why you didn't see it yet).

But yes, Lumileds does still have some issues to work out -- although I will say that every LS in this latest U3U batch boast correctly marked polarities (whew!), so no more nightmares during assembly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I missed the thread you posted on this.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I thought stumbled onto something never before discussed and would share it.

As far athe performance of these emitters go all I can say is WOW ! I've never seen such bright white LED ever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened

I checked the 3 5 Watters (LXHL-LW6C) I just got, they are all the right polarity, and dawgone, are they bright...
Do not look into LED with remaining good eye .-)

/ed B in NH