Fenix disapointment

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two weeks ago I picked up a P3D Rebel 100 from a Hong Kong distributor. The light is perfect great fit and finish, no glitches with switching and great color rendition from LED. Today I just Received a P2D Rebel 100 from the Fenix Store and it blows in a word. the fit and finish are great but the switching from mode to mode has the annoying momentary high mode flash. the color rendition has a very green cast to it. I guess Fenix keep the best products for the home market, I only wish I would have bought my P2D from the Hong Kong distributor, this is nothing against the fenix store, just if I am paying close to $60 for my EDC I should be happy with it. Sorta bugs me that there is this much inconsistency between Rebels

mchlwise

Enlightened
Two weeks ago I picked up a P3D Rebel 100 from a Hong Kong distributor. The light is perfect great fit and finish, no glitches with switching and great color rendition from LED. Today I just Received a P2D Rebel 100 from the Fenix Store and it blows in a word. the fit and finish are great but the switching from mode to mode has the annoying momentary high mode flash. the color rendition has a very green cast to it. I guess Fenix keep the best products for the home market, I only wish I would have bought my P2D from the Hong Kong distributor, this is nothing against the fenix store, just if I am paying close to $60 for my EDC I should be happy with it. Sorta bugs me that there is this much inconsistency between Rebels

If you bought it from Fenix-Store, they should exchange it for you. They place a lower priority on "tint preference" exchanges, but they will take care of it given some time.

I'm not sure how much inconsistency there is with the Rebels. I like my P3D beam better than my P2D's also, and both are better than my L0DR80. Is that because of the emitters being inconsistent, or is it because Rebels look better with lots of current going through them? :shrug:

That being said... they're MUCH better than Luxeons used to be, and the beams look much better than Crees do (IMHO).

:whistle:

Edit: from what I understand, the "flash" is normal, and they all (except for the P3D) do it.

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I was wondering if it might be a current issue that would be the difference, i just wasn't sure that it would be causing such a drastic difference. But I like the Beam of the P3D quite a bit more. I have heard from other posts about the high mode flash and in all honesty I thought they were making out to be more annoying than it was, except no that i have that problem I can see why they were not at all happy. Still I do wnder if they do keep the best for the home market, because the P3D Rebel I got from Hong Kong is as perfect a light as you could ask for. Jus some speculation and not my intent to offend anyone.

P.S. thanks for your imput!

Also thanks as I didn't know the flashing was standard for the P2D

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the tint of the LED's beam is still a lottery and can vary... Buy two lights and chances are they aren't identical in tint color. You'd probably hear more than a handful of complaints in the forum if it really was the case that you've mentioned of Fenix keeping the 'good stuff' away from the US.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised you got a green tint rebel. Most people report warm tints. Mine has a slightly rose tint to it. The green tint sounds alot like the Cree edition. Are you sure it's a rebel LED in there ? The rebel should have that funny little washer at the base of the reflector.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it's a rebel, with the flat silver washer at the base and also printed on the light itself is "P2D Premium 100". And I purchased from the Fenix Store which has a great reputation for integrity. Also the emitter itself is the smaller rebel footprint. My P3D has a mild rose tint to it as well. The more I am playing with it the more I am getting used to it. It is more noticable when side by side with P3D as opposed to by itself.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a L2T v2 back in August and was disappointed with the tint. The funny thing was that on high it was nice and white but on low it was very warm/green. I sent it back and I am still waiting for my replacement.:candle:

It seems like Daivd and the fenix-store have been really busy lately because they have not responded to my e-mails as promptly as they have in the past. I have read that tint issues are a lower priority on their list than other issues:shrug:.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Marduke, I gave that a try (all the way to a full turn) but is still has the flash.

And you are right Oddjob, it is more pronounced green on the lower levels

willrx

Enlightened
I received a L2T v2 back in August and was disappointed with the tint. The funny thing was that on high it was nice and white but on low it was very warm/green. I sent it back and I am still waiting for my replacement.:candle:

It seems like Daivd and the fenix-store have been really busy lately because they have not responded to my e-mails as promptly as they have in the past. I have read that tint issues are a lower priority on their list than other issues:shrug:.

They have moved to a new location a few miles away. I was by there today and they were still unpacking boxes and getting situated.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my P3D Rebel 100 "natural" from the Fenix Store. Fit & finish are flawless and so far it has no flash with RCR123 3.7s or CR123a's. It has a beautiful almost incandescent beam color and is brighter than my G2 with DX $12 Cree or 6P with WolfEyes D26. Very pleased so far...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Is that because of the emitters being inconsistent, or is it because Rebels look better with lots of current going through them? :shrug: quote]

I think you just nailed it mchlwise. The lower the current, the uglier the color of the Rebel. The higher the current, the prettier the color. This has been my experience too.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Marduke, I gave that a try (all the way to a full turn) but is still has the flash.

+1 on the full turn still flashes. The flash is part of the current design. Turning the head a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn will get you completely off the High mode contact ring. That could be another whole issue with intermittent contact to the ring if you're not unscrewed far enough.

chakrawal

Enlightened
I have one P3d Rebel 100 from Fenix-Store and one P2D Rebel 100 from a dealer in Thailand. They are both great and equally well built with no issue at all.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Yes it's a rebel, with the flat silver washer at the base and also printed on the light itself is "P2D Premium 100". And I purchased from the Fenix Store which has a great reputation for integrity. Also the emitter itself is the smaller rebel footprint. My P3D has a mild rose tint to it as well. The more I am playing with it the more I am getting used to it. It is more noticable when side by side with P3D as opposed to by itself.

In other words you probably don't notice it in real use, only when you're shining it on a white wall with other lights? :rolleyes:

Dr.Glock27

Newly Enlightened
Your disappointment is nothing compared to mine. I pre-ordered 2 fenix P3D rebel100 and 2 P2D rebel100 last August 11. They told me that they shipped the orders on August 20. Since I was too excited to get the lights, I even paid extra for a priority mail international instead of relying on the free international shipping. To this date, I still havent received my orders. USPS tracking indicates that it has received the electronic notification from fenix-store that a package is to be shipped but not the goods. I emailed Gary and David but they always manage to reply late. They insist that the lights have been sent when clearly it wasn't. I am so mad to the point that I completely lost interest of the lights. I have been asking for a refund but they still haven't done it.---finally it arrived today after a long wait. There's a problem with one of the lights though. E-mailed David for a possible replacement and I got a fast response this time. Good work and Thanks David! ;)

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
USPS tracking indicates that it has received the electronic notification from fenix-store that a package is to be shipped but not the goods.

With everything I have ordered from Fenix-Store, the USPS tracking site says "Electronic shipping info received" until the day it arrives and is scanned at my local post office days later.

The USPS tracking is notoriously bad, and that message does not indicate that the package was not sent.

:shrug:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L2D Rebel 100, so this may not apply to the PxDs. My L2D only flashes in normal mode when turning on. It does not flash when going from mode to mode while on.