Need a floody light

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
It seems most people go for a good hot spot and throw.

For my application (mountain biking) I need a goof light with a bit of flood to mount on my handle bars.

I used a 1watt ROV and it did ok the spill was nice but I would like the spill area to be a little brigther.
I am going to use my 3w ROV as a helmet light (where a spot is good) but need some additional light.

I am looking for suggestion from DX or kai since I am in the process of building my own triple seouls. I just need something to work until I am done with those.

I asked about a good light in the cycling forum but no answers were given.

thanks as always

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
For now under 30 bucks since I will be finishing my bar mounted light. Its going to have 2 x 15 degree lenses with 1x 25 degree.

The zebra light is a bit too floody. I have been looking through posts and can only find beamshots of a meter a way from the wall or so. I need one thats 2-5 meters.

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
I have tried several flashlights on handlebars in addition to and instead of a Princeton Tec Switchback 3 bicycle light.

The lights that have worked out well are:
Huntlight FT-01XSE (Cree, 18650, good beam pattern, multiple levels + strobe)
Rexlight 2.0 (AA, good runtime, good beam, same levels as Huntlight, remembers last mode)

Not so well:
Fenix P1D-CE (runtime too short, does not work well with rechargeables)
AmiLite Neo T5 (good beam but does not provide adequate runtime, does not work with rechargeables)
Jetbeam C-LE 1.0 (runtime too short)
LED Logic Striker-VG (not enough flood, heavy)

The multi-LED lights are the up and coming thing for bikes, no question. I was considering a ElektroLumens FireLion be decided to go with a Dinotte 600L instead. My PT3 has a great beam pattern as well. I would definitely look for a 18650 battery -- otherwise run time and operating cost will be problems.

jcompton

Enlightened
AmiLite Neo T5 (good beam but does not provide adequate runtime, does not work with rechargeables)

My T5 has never been fed a primary! All I use are AWs protected RCR123s @ 3.7v and it works great! I sometimes swap the body to the T3 if I want a more compact twisty and it works great then as well! If I recall William Lafferty also runs the T5 head/T3 body without an issue.

Hope you don't mind me tellin' all your secrets Bill :wave:

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
The T5 looks like it would have a great beam pattern but its a bit out of my budget.

I am just looking for a temp fix till I finish my DIY bike light.

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
My T5 has never been fed a primary! All I use are AWs protected RCR123s @ 3.7v and it works great! I sometimes swap the body to the T3 if I want a more compact twisty and it works great then as well! If I recall William Lafferty also runs the T5 head/T3 body without an issue.

Hope you don't mind me tellin' all your secrets Bill :wave:

The runtime with the AW RCR123's on high is about 20 minutes. Your rides may be a lot shorter than mine. I really need 4 hours for a good weekend road ride and a minimum of 80 minutes or so for one day's worth of commuting.