HDS Twisty is here!

Gatsby

Enlightened
Very interesting and lots of details on the HDS site - seems like a bombproof, fairly priced and extremely utilitarian approach to a light -with the focus on bombproof. I can't wait to see the initial reviews!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are not specific about Crees or Seouls or specific LED type. They only use of the terminology "high efficiency LED" for one of their models suggesting that the others are something less. At this price, I hope the white part of the dual color red/high LEDs is not just a plain old Lux.

I'd normally say bravo for the twisty as I appreciate their simplicity and reliability. I hope that however EDC did the multi-level twisty, it retains the low parts count and inherent reliability of the plain single mode twisty (I prefer the spring loaded battery with electrical connection directly to the PCB twisty format).

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a SS bezel to protect the bezel?

I still sent a order for one, Can't wait to get mine.

I'm guessing It's a bit smaller. :popcorn:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing It's a bit smaller.

Smaller than what? The EDC? I dunno... the U60 I'm holding right now looks like it's about 83mm long by 25mm diameter. It looks like this new Twisty is actually a bit larger.

I like the concept of adding a second red LED inside the head. I always wanted a red HDS light.

I'll assume Henry is claiming lumens out the front. 70 sounds about right for a Cree or a Seoul with a one hour runtime on CR123A.

It's too bad there's still not a new power source. I'd still like to see an ultra-small HDS light powered from a CR2 cell, or offer an option to run off a commonly available AA cell.

Guess I'll have to wait until they're in the hands of the reviewers...

..edit: I just noticed this. Yay!

Two large lanyard holes are provided. A single lanyard cord can be run through both lanyard holes to allow the flashlight will hang perfectly straight from the lanyard cord. A single lanyard hole can also be used if desired.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's not actually the finished product, is it?
Says on the HDS site the light is HA-BK and mentions the stainless steel bezel ring for protecting the window. :shrug:

The specs and description sound very promising; it'll be interesting to see further reviews.

I've said it before... I understand ruggedness, etc. but, is there a way to make HDS lights any prettier? :green:

Telkin

Enlightened
I'm really surprised to see that it does not have a pocketclip. I can't stress how important it is for an EDC light to have a good sturdy pocket clip. Its ok for smaller lights but for slightly larger ones it's a must IMO.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a KISS light ... with super simple functionality... 3 well selected levels and very easy to use operation....

AZLight

Newly Enlightened
From the light description I think modding one will be a bbbiiiiiaaattttccchhhhh.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks almost identical to one of my five Arc 4+ lights with a modded Titanium tail to recess the sensitive button on the light (check out my avatar--the back end of the mod I'm talking about). I think there are some very similar lines to the Arc 4+ and this sure doesn't look anything like my (several) HDS EDCs nor my Novatac EDC. I'm not particularly fond of the stainless "bezel" in its polished form--I guess I'd prefer bead-blasted to tone it down a tad--but, that's PURELY cosmetic--as is the crenulated (?) front end--I'm a bit weary of that design. I was looking for some more sophisticated (complex?) operation than a twisty though----although twisties are the most rugged design of all. I have a red led light--a mod but, this a most worthwhile feature for preserving night vision. This could be a big hit with star gazers. I'm splitting hairs though--I wanna see what comes out the front!!

Karl

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
I'm a little disappointed. I wanted one, but after seeing it, I wouldn't be happy with it. While I understand it's ruggedness, that's great and all, but I can't get past the SS head on it. I'd prefer it to be uniform, whether it was all black/HA or all SS. I think I'll wait and see what comes out as far as the SS bezel/head on it, read they have the option of making it black to match the tail but it costs more to make. The technical specs on it look great, but it has cosmetic issues in my opinion. Though some probably like this look or don't mind. I'll just sit here and read their reviews when they get theirs and be jealous.

Latest posts