What is so special about surefire?

a4d

Enlightened
Really i don't know I'm not tring to start an argument i really was just wwondering. Mainly i'm asking this because it seems like there is alot of lights alot cheaper that seem to be just as good if not better?

sawlight

Enlightened
The look, the touch, the fine worksmanship, the wonderful machining, and most importantly, the knowledge that you KNOW it will come on EVERTIME!!

a4d

Enlightened
Alright so basically the extra dollar goes to the quality of the build. Are they any brighter next to a light with the same out put?

sawlight

Enlightened
I can't really say either way, but if Surefire says it puts out "X", it probably does more!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are the original "premium" flashlight manufacturer. I bought my first Surefire in 1994 for about $60, which at the time was very very expensive, for a very expensive tactical firearms course. They did not have any equals back then IMO. Old memories and nostalgia die hard for me and I still place a premium on some of their lights. True, the picture has changed with the onslaught of very decently made flashlights from overseas, particularly from China.

They are also one of the few lights that I believe are still designed and made (or assembled) here. What sets them apart is their conservative and honest ratings of their lights, unlike some of the competition who engage in unabashed "specsmanship" (lies, lies and more lies).

a4d

Enlightened
Alright i got it pretty much they are very durable, made in USA, and truthfull alright thanks pretty much all i wanted to know. Ohh and also what would be the best SF G2 to get for some quick easy rather inexpensive mods.

pipspeak

Enlightened
If you actually look at real-life performance and build quality, many SF lights actually are not that much more expensive, if at all, than high-end chinese lights. And they have an enviable record for reliability and have a good warranty just in case.

Look at the Novatac price now... you could buy one of several small SF lights for less money. There are now lots of chinese lights in the $100-$150 range, which IMO is well into surefire territory.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent design

Unequaled quality of materials and workmanship

More durable than granite

The best customer service in the industry, even with the acknowledged fact that parts are sometimes out of stock for long periods

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about their lifetime warranty. They often send out replacement parts for free, no questions asked! :thumbsup:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Conservative on lumen ratings, but exaggerated on runtimes. For example, their 11 and 12 hour runtimes for the 6PL and G2L respectively are more like 3.5 and 4.5 hours, respectively.

IcantC

Enlightened
Not to sound mean, but have you ever used or owned a SF? One must actually handle it to appreciate it...

pipspeak

Enlightened
The only thing that held me back from getting one of the cheaper SFs was their lack of levels. I had my eye on a 6PL or G2L, for example, but there's no "low", which sorta kills their flexibility a bit IMO.

Give me a 6PL with the defender bezel (or the 6P Defender with a P60 drop-in) and two levels like the L1 and that would probably be my flashlight for life. Sadly I can't afford the U2 :(

ymfymf

Newly Enlightened
I don't have too many SFs and so my comment is therefore may not be the whole picture.

IMO, SF are better at the incandescents. Look at the A2s, the 9Ns (and now 9AN), the 6P / 9P, the M3 / M4, they are very good (if not the best) in their own niche.

On the other hand, however, SF seems to lag behind in the LEDs. They have just released the newer generation LED lights, lagging behind in the curve. No matter how strong a light is built, how good is the workmanship, a light (especially LED light) is rated on the lumens output and the run-time as perhaps the number one and two criteria.

-- ymfymf

ymfymf

Newly Enlightened
I don't have too many SFs and so my comment is therefore may not be the whole picture.

IMO, SF are better at the incandescents. Look at the A2s, the 9Ns (and now 9AN), the 6P / 9P, the M3 / M4, they are very good (if not the best) in their own niche.

On the other hand, however, SF seems to lag behind in the LEDs. They have just released the newer generation LED lights, lagging behind in the curve. No matter how strong a light is built, how good is the workmanship, a light (especially LED light) is rated on the lumens output and the run-time as perhaps the number one and two criteria.

-- ymfymf

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

-- ymfymf

That's not entirely true. A few years ago, Surefire came out with the L4, L5, L6, U2....and those were the BEST you could find anywhere. These newer Cree lights are just now being popular, so pretty soon you'll be seen Surefire's "next generation" of LED lights. There are many people here who would say their U2 is the best light that they have...and that is a 3, almost 4, year old model!

ymfymf

Newly Enlightened

-- ymfymf

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hhm, IMO, you won't find another light quite like the L1 Cree. A wonderful, reliable two-level switch, perfect size/fit in hand, good throw and useful spill. Plus, the E2L runs over 9 hours in regulation. I wouldn't consider them to be lagging behind. Brightest isn't always best.

tussery

Enlightened
Conservative on lumen ratings, but exaggerated on runtimes. For example, their 11 and 12 hour runtimes for the 6PL and G2L respectively are more like 3.5 and 4.5 hours, respectively.
Yeah that was kind of dumb of them. The way they have runtime for the G3L listed is how they should have listed the 6PL and G2L runtime.